Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madhu Balakrishnan in Super Singer 3 - vijay TV

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Madhu Balakrishnan in Super Singer 3 - vijay TV

Did anyone catch Madhu Balakrishnan, the amazing singer, on Super Singer 3 last week. He gave stunning performances, especially singing two old Yesudas numbers, Vellai pura n Endhan nenjil. Unfortunately, this fine singer has been overlooked in Tamil film music. Only Ilaiayaraja n Vidhya Sagar use him occasionally.

Indeed, Madhu isn't even getting enough chances in Malayalam. Tha is because K J Yesudas still hogs the scene though he can hardly sing these days. it is only because of track cording technology that this septuagenarian can still sing but the strain shows in his voice he should retire gracefully n yield to other singers. He claims he tells the authorities to give awards to other singers yet he keeps Ccepting them n to continue accepting offers to sing. So his claims sounds Ollie.

But back to Madhu, he is so talented, classically trained but also able to modulate his voice n sing melodies for the likes of Ajith n Prithgiraj (in Malayalam).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber priya32's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    தேர்ந்த பாடகர். பிச்சை பாத்திரம் ஏந்தி வந்தேன் ஒரு சோறு பதம்!
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Madhu is a very good singer but he resembles KJY so very much. He doesnt try to immitate KJY but it's something that comes naturally. I think that's a kind of disadavantage that he is having. Saw enthan nenjil and konja naeram. In enthan nenjil I thought the shruthi slipped quite a bit initially but he picked up well. His breath control for the portion vaaznthaenae uRavinRi munnaal.. till the end was amazing. The girl was not that good. Konja naeram was a delight. He was totally under control, may be due to the fact that it is his own song and the little girl lived up to MB's level. She looked cute and her sining was quite good. Dont know what comments those jokers (both judges) gave. Going by past experience the girl who sang enthan nenjil would have got a chocolate shower and the other girl would have got nit picked quite a bit. Paarthavanga yaaravathu sollunga.

PS: Love both the songs. Never boring pieces of work by IR and VS though Asha Bonsle's kizhavi voice is a negative factgor in Konja Naeram. Sivaji family recommendation'nu neneikiRaen as she is very close to them.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iPremZ View Post

Indeed, Madhu isn't even getting enough chances in Malayalam. Tha is because K J Yesudas still hogs the scene though he can hardly sing these days. it is only because of track cording technology that this septuagenarian can still sing but the strain shows in his voice he should retire gracefully n yield to other singers. He claims he tells the authorities to give awards to other singers yet he keeps Ccepting them n to continue accepting offers to sing. So his claims sounds Ollie.

Absolutely no Prem...You gotta listen to KJY in the December Music Festival to actually know as to whether the man's still got it...Its a little disheartening that Madhu Balakrishna hasn't got the break he deserved. But to say KJY is actually responsible for this is just too big a claim. In a competitive field like the music industry there will always be the case of of a Madhu Balakrishnan..Its very unfortunate
    Last edited by Arvind Srinivasan; 3rd June 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    VeLLaippuRaavonRu was fabulous

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    Absolutely no Prem...You gotta listen to KJY in
    the December Music Festival to actually know as to whether the man's still got it...
    I agree with Prem on kjy. He shud have stopped singing five years before. I thought he would also stop his movie singing at the right time after he critized lathaji's voice started shaking and losing the livelyness.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could not believe, just because KJY is still singing, Madhu is not getting much offers. If you would have said the same thing in 80's or 90's I would agree so. He is already not the most preferred singer nowadays. Wanted to know how many (malayalam) songs KJY is singing today out of the total songs composed that year. It would hardly be 0.1%. Again, it is debatable if he has to retire, as there are few composers still believe in him (whatever technologies they use). One such perfect example is this song which was released this year and another from Thalmsamayam oru penkutti, but both are from the same composer, Shareth. Also, you have to consider the versatility of a singer when it comes to playback singing for films. Madhu's voice suits mainly classical and semi-classical based melodies which we need to consider. Unfortunately, today's music scenarios are devoid of such genres, which itself restricts his opportunities. Still few composers like Ilaiyaraaja has given him quite good opportunities even in folk areas. Many would not think so. I would say, even he may be talented in other genres, but his voice does not suit to that genres. His voice is so matured, that it will sound divine mostly in the above two genres. Just like KJY singing folk or kuththu may not be as amicable as he sings his classical/semi-classical melodies. This may be one of the reasons many composers are not approaching him much. But, in my opinion putting KJY to blame for Madhu's opportunities is a bit far too stretched.

Last edited by V_S; 4th June 2012 at 05:40 AM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    I agree with Prem on kjy. He shud have stopped singing five years before. I thought he would also stop his movie singing at the right time after he critized lathaji's voice started shaking and losing the livelyness.
    When did KJY criticize Latha Mangeshkar? Never was I aware of such an incident. Venki, Innum konjam detaileda sollunga.
    Coming back, is it his problem if composers still call him for playback singing....He rather does only a limited number of songs in a year in malayalam and tamil lan kekave venaam. Wrt the claim that his voice has strained, I feel it only holds true partially. While I accept that its not as good as it was in his hey days, I feel its still pretty good. I can vouch for this having been to 3 of his concerts in the December music season last year. He was just fantastic and that's just an understatement...
    Last edited by Arvind Srinivasan; 4th June 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Also, you have to consider the versatility of a singer when it comes to playback singing for films. Madhu's voice suits mainly classical and semi-classical based melodies which we need to consider. Unfortunately, today's music scenarios are devoid of such genres, which itself restricts his opportunities. Still few composers like Ilaiyaraaja has given him quite good opportunities even in folk areas. Many would not think so. I would say, even he may be talented in other genres, but his voice does not suit to that genres. His voice is so matured, that it will sound divine mostly in the above two genres. Just like KJY singing folk or kuththu may not be as amicable as he sings his classical/semi-classical melodies. This may be one of the reasons many composers are not approaching him much.
    Unfortunately, even Madhu's versatility is not well known because of lack of exposure. Songs such as Sollitharavaa (For Ajith) n Palaazhithumbi (for Prithviraj) are excellent samples of his ability to modulate his classical heft n sing for younger heroes. But he has been typecast as a classical singer, so few kow of or are willing to use him for romantic melodies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast