Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror flicks

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thilak, while I don't mind watching those films Raiks is devoted to, I am not a big fan. I just do catching up and like them like, err, fast food.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Sci-fi/horror. List-u?

Alien & Aliens
    The Fly (50s & 80s version)
    Invasion of the Body Snatcher (50s & 70s version)
    The Thing (80s, haven't seen the 50s one)
    Predator 1 & 2 (no, 2 didn't suck for me)
    Altered State
    War of the World (no, not the couch-jumper one)
    The Blob

There is something about the atmosphere in these films, especially the 70s/80s one. Take The Thing for example. It starts with an helicopter chasing an Alaskan Husky, trying to shoot it. I mean, WTF???? And from then on one twist after another and the ending was scary and nothing really happens there. You just don't know. But forget about the opening, you can watch any part of these films and get intrigued. The constant suspense. The smell of fear.

Raymond Chandler once wrote that a good mystery is a book which you can read even if someone tore off the last chapter. I feel the same about these films. Watch them at any moment and you are sucked in.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho and Ajaybaskar.

Needless to say, John Carpenter is one of my favorite filmmakers. He understood horror had to be explored in truly cinematic ways. Atmosphere is everything. "Halloween", "The fog" and "The thing" to name the trinity of sorts from late 70's to 80's.

Btw, do you guys like DePalma's Carrie and Polanski's Repulsion, Rosemary baby and Tenant (Apt trilogy).

Then there is Italian Giallo by Argento and Bava. Not that I'm expert in these matters, but I've collected their films and watch quite a few then and there. "Suspria" and "Blood And Black Lace" to name two, are unique pieces of filmmaking. Its brilliance had got to many American filmmakers of 70's. Especially John Carpenter (especially "Halloween") and DePalma (especially "Dressed to Kill" and "Carrie")!

There are three british films in "The wicker man", "Don't look now", "Frightmare" which released within a year in 70's, that I have seen, I'd recommend 'em. As I would the 60's "The Innocents" from British Isles. I don't consider "Peeping Tom" to be horror, Like "Pyscho", is more of a thriller with horror tropes (but no guesses that Hitchcock inspired Argento and Bava). On the other hand, "Shining" could crossover to being a full-fledged "horror" with its atmosphere. Besides, I see "The Silence of the lambs" as a thriller(mentioned by Ajaybaskar). But in psycho films, "Dressed to Kill" has an element of gothic horror.

Among contemporary films, Orphan mentioned by Raiks seems to be interesting. It's in tradition of "The Others"? (which owes a bit to "The changeling", "The innocents" etc)
    ...an artist without an art.

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason Takes Manhattan..

great 1st half, awful 2nd half. split in middle, call it a pass in the series.

you've got to watch the fight between jason and julius the boxer (original plan was to let jason fights him at madison square garden, but paramount as usual screwed the series with financial bond).

jason just punches the guy's head off.. let me repeat.. he punches the guy's head OFF.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Case 39...

Although this movie has mostly recieved negative reviews, i liked it.. Worth a try!!!
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In oscars show yesterday they hosted a tribute for horror films. They had a 3-4 minute preview of scenes from famous horror films. It was good.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    In oscars show yesterday they hosted a tribute for horror films. They had a 3-4 minute preview of scenes from famous horror films. It was good.
    any way we could see that again
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go in the house - Damn.. it scared me.

Vacancy - Beckinsale was pretty. Nothing else.

Friday the 13th Part II - Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Athukellam time kedachutha, Raiksu?

Anyway, my wife finally buckled in and agreed to watch horror, I don't want to jump into heavy stuff, watching the Carpenter version of The Thing tonight.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Thing (1982)

When wife asked if this is "horror" horror. I said no, more of a mystery thriller...till of course the damn thing emerged from the frickin' dog!!! Awesome effects, still looks good. Entire chilly atmosphere, superb performance from everyone, suspense at every turn, the film works even after we have been overexposed to thousands of cliches and schticks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Fly (1986).

Again, has to con my wife saying that it's more of a romance flick, rather than horror...until of course, Goldblum started to change into what would later inspire M. Night Syamalan for his alien.

Anyway, it's awesome, and doesn't look dated at all. In fact, the prosthetic job still looks great and this is what it should be used for instead of...hmmm...never mind.

And Jeff Goldblum

Next, the 70s version of Invasion of Body Snatcher. Damn...there used to be a time when remakes were good.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast