Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Horror flicks

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wise old man, with a staff, looking at the sky (possibly James Earl Jones): He will come. This is his home. He will come and save us all.....
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm very busy.. have joined a new company.. and im not looking after proxy servers as i used to.. , so limited access (even from wi-fi).

ya. creepshow. it was ok. very comical and straight-up tongue in cheek approach to over the top horror tales of 50's / 60's.

like said previously in this thread, George Romero is a genius. His best work was in the zombie genre and night of the living dead is the greatest movie of that genre.

haven't seen creepshow for a long time. i remember liking the freak leslie nielson (rip) / aqua zombie tale .

cinemax is showing the movie this month. no problem. hope to catch it soon.

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Bloody Valentine 3D

(+)
    - it's a remake of a classic 80's slasher
    - different plot to the original
    - good ending
    - Betsy Rue in 3D
    - Megan Boone

(-)
    - Lack of Blood / Gore
    - very unimaginative kills. (watch the uncensored original of 1981 and you'll know why)

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    found it.

Amityville Horror (1979) - Very good. Margot Kidder is an excellent actress. She was there in my favorite movie of all time, so this gets a free vote. It's easy to dismiss this as another Exorcist ripoff, but this had it's moments. Like the auto-shutting window scene and the exploding underground scenes. I often hear about superior sequels, but this one is no slouch either.

P.S. - Aanathapurathu Veedu was definitely ripped off from Amityville Horror. I remember some bloggers were praising a.v. as the first if it's kind (good spirit / helpful demons etc).. it's not true. I have seen many movies handling with good spirits. Carrie is a good example of that.

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exorcist - The version you have never seen (i have already seen it like 7 times )

do i really need to say anything? THIS defined horror movies for years to come. The fact that it came 38 years ago and still manages to give us hibbly jibblies is astonishing. It had some excellent performances and as usual the oscars bitched out because it belongs to horror genre.

Some memorable biblical reference throughout. (like i still use the power of Christ compels you!! line frequently). Father Damian Karras was probably the most vital character in the entire series (about 3 of them and part ii is an ultimate dud). Ya i know the kid possessed by the pazuzu (demon) and the mommy character were the core characters, but without Karras, we wouldn't have had Exorcist. Father performs Exorcism = thus Exorcist, got it?. And the man sacrificed himself for the goodwill of human beings. and he did it TWICE (another in part III, more on that later). The actor played the Father Karras was role very very good. You don't have to act like retard or strain your body to get noticed as great actor. This one is a prime example. He did his job excellently. In first half, as a poor psychiatrist cum hapless priest who can't even help his ailing mother, in the middle as a catholic who's losing confidence in christianity and bible, and on the last as the desperate christian to save a kid from a dangerous demon. I can go on, because i LOVED that performance. Oscars.. you suck for ignoring that man.

And whoever comes with the title exorcist deserves an award for sure. The name itself was creepy and enough to get noticed by general audience. Talking about audience, this movie did set all time record at the Box Office until Jaws broke it. And this was before the summer blockbuster term was coined or nationwide releases were under practice. Simply incredible. I can happily present myself as a horror fan when revisit movies like this. It makes me proud. Other movies in similar list would be Jaws (and yes, it is a horror movie) and Halloween. Simply excellent and i can never get bored of watching this.

Final Rating - You know i'm not going to give any movie a full monty because no movie is perfect.. Ah screw that and give it a 5 star, 10/10 or whatever full rating they have. You cannot top Exorcist.

Btw, i love Cinemax.

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    had fun with back to back friday movies on the big weekend (cue lame it's friday the 13th reference). for some reasons hbo and cinemax finally decided to show non new blood and jason takes Manhattan entries in tv. it's not like i've never seen others, but it's still nice seeing them on tv and recommend it to your friends to watch it.. (like hey mate, they're going to show an awesome movie this midnight.. it's the new beginning... of course i've never come across anyone within my friends circle who actually have any idea wth i'm talking about ).

skipped part 1.. because it's generally boring and jason only makes a cameo in the end and most of the kills occur off screen. definitive reason to avoid the movie. you can give it a go if you're fan of Betsy Palmer and Tom Savini's excellent FX works.

Part 2 is my favorite in this series. Mainly because that's the closest to reality. Jason just a normal man with psychotic tendencies. i don't agree that the movie is complete rip off from mario bava's classic twitch of death nerve. sure they replicated two kills but the entire movie is about jason's emergence as the main character in the series.

part 3 wasn't very good as the 2nd one, but it has it's moment. the 3d effects were ok. but the movie needed more Savini (he left the series because he didn't like the idea of making jason as the main character.). movie is memorable for bringing the real jason that we know and love (?). hockey mask, gory kills, teens having hmmm.. yes that one and of course him getting killed by a cleverer opponent.

part 4 - final chapter - is the best entry in the series. they went all out to make this appeal as the last entry in the series. except the fact that we had 8 more sequels after this. but still, we get a damn good movie, as a entry in the series or a standalone horror movie. exceptional kills, creepy environment, establishment of characters (something that slasher always lacked or love to ignore). tommy jarvis (the excellent corey feldman) finally makes an appearance here. i'm not sure if the character was intended to be jason's chief nemesis, but we had some sequels pitching jason and tommy. tom savini did a splendid job.

part 5 - new beginning - is awful. repeated viewings have dramatically reduced my hatred on this, but still it's a lame entry to the series with 3 minutes cameo from feldman and jason. fake killer is alright if you have any backstory connecting to it, but they dropped the ball here. the actor who played tommy did a splendid job. he's the best main protagonist in the entire series. right mix of emotions and actions from him. tommy's here just basically dumb and utterly 24 words in the entire movie (imagine that). the inclusion of a small kid (reggie) and his caretaker (pam), presumably to recreate the tommy and trish magic from the previous movie was utterly nonsensical and truly ruined the movie.

ratings

part 1 - **
    part 2 - ****1/2
    part 3 - ***
    part 4 - ****3/4 (perfect entry.. docking 1/4* for not showing mrs. jarvis' death. well the alternative ending had her death.. but i'm not buying it)
    part 5 - 1/2* (laaaaaaame... the guy who played tommy saved this from DUD).

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    in celebration of the beast day 06/06 (there should be another 6, screw that and imagine i'm posting this at 6), i present you one of the greatest themes of all time. Ave Satani from Omen.

Banned Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drag me to Hell - Mostly mokkai although it had some splendid performances from the lead actors. Sam is more capable than this.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Nightmare in Elm's Street (2010)

Avoidable..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
    in celebration of the beast day 06/06 (there should be another 6, screw that and imagine i'm posting this at 6), i present you one of the greatest themes of all time. Ave Satani from Omen.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast