Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: India's unsung hero Anil Kumble calls it a day!

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

India's unsung hero Anil Kumble calls it a day!

Indian cricket's unsung hero bids adieu to cricket rather unexpectedly on a low key note (so typical of the man himself) prior to the final Test in Nagpur!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very sad for Kumble - THE REAL MATCH WINNER... for the way he was made to retire... atleast he shud hav retired after the 4th test with the trophy .... a consolation for his bowling contributions.

Anil Kumble

Post Thanks / Like
    Saurav Ganguly - Finished
    Kumble - Finished

Next in line - Dravid .. his form is not convincing

Laxman ... appappo 50, 100 adichuduraru

Sachin "Thala" Tendulkar - missed another 50 today .. unnai thookka evanachum irukkananu parthuduvoam.. u play until 2011 world cup Then we all lose interest in cricket

Post Thanks / Like
    ohhhh Baratha Mathave.. oru Indhiya Kudimaganai ippadiya padhi series'il retire aaga veippadhu..... so sad...

sathiya sodhanai ---- now to Dravid

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber sivank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Anil Kumble was very clever in announcing his retirement after this test. With an injured hand(even though not his bowling hand) again it would have been a big discussion to leave someone to include Harbhajan. Anyway jumbo would have been the expendable so he should have thought a lot about it and announced his retirement
    niraive kaanum manam vendum
    iraivaa nee adhai thara vendum

Post Thanks / Like
    It is really sad to see him retire this way, forced by injury mainly and lack of form temporarily. Being a man of dignity, honesty, commitment and passion, he took his own decision though it may look forced. He was frank enough to admit that his body is not able to go through the grind of test cricket.

The Greatness of Kumble is exemplified by the immense respect of his team mates as also the opposition. During his long caree, he has played the game hard but never crossed the limits. A great Ambassador for the game and a role model and a legend

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anil Kumble, take a bow. He was deadly in the 90s to say the least and this decision has come at the right time. His biggest achievement as a captain should be the perth victory. Biggest achievement in an ODI has to be the Hero cup victory. There are way too many incidents in tests, nothing can beat the tenner

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatim...ow/3665878.cms

As Anil Kumble
    ended his 18 long years of illustrious career, the outgoing India captain didn't forget the practice he has followed at his favouri
    Kumble & Sachin
    Anil Kumble is hugged by Sachin Tendulkar on the final day of the third Test match between India and Australia in New Delhi on Sunday, November 2, 2008. (AP Photo)
    te venue Ferozeshah Kotla for the last nine years.

When Kumble came out to bowl for the last time on Sunday, Sachin Tendulkar walked up to him to take his cap and give it to the umpire. An emotional Kumble told him "one last time" to end the tradition that started in 1999 when the leg-spinner bagged a 'Perfect 10' in an innings against Pakistan.

In what started as a good-luck charm became a tradition which the two stalwarts always maintained whenever they played at the Kotla.

And on Sunday, it was indeed an emotional moment for the two, as Tendulkar took Kumble's cap one last time.

"Today when he took the cap, I said to him, 'one last time'. It all started here in 1999 when he took the cap from me and said you'll get a wicket this over. That continued till today but unfortunately I didn't get a wicket in the last hour," an emotional Kumble said as he bid adieu to international cricket.

His sudden decision took the cricketing fraternity by surprise and also nothing could have been arranged by the Indian cricket board to give a fitting farewell to a great cricketer, who showed extraordinary courage and commitment on the field.

A good Sunday crowd went numb when the two giant screens flashed a one-liner saying "Anil Kumble has decided to retire after this match and will not travel to Nagpur for the final Test," but soon raised slogans hailing Kumble.

But Kumble remained unmoved. Whether it was bowling with a broken jaw in 2002 or with 11 stitches on his little left finger, he has always been a fighter and lived up to it even in his last outing.

Kumble was given a huge standing ovation when he led the team for the last time on to the field in the second innings. His team mates cheered him and the Australians patted him.

When he came out to face the media sporting the faded India cap, he looked emotional and despite so many achievements over the years he stood with all humility.

"This cap means a lot to me. I've cherished this cap. It's a very proud privilege to have got this. I know how hard I had to fight to get this cap and how hard it is to play at the international level. It's a proud moment to represent a billion people whose expectations keep rising each time you go out there," he said.

"It's not easy to satisfy all those people who are watching. But I'd like to thank all those people for the affection they have showered on me and the Indian cricket team. There have been tough times and rough moments, we have given the fans some sad moments and sorrow, too, but we've also given them happiness."

Even on his last day on the field he tried to be a fighter, but felt that the energy has waned with time.

"I fought that, I took various painkillers and tried all sorts of things, but ultimately the injury to the hand said 'enough now.' It was the right time to move on," were his last few words sporting the India cap.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    initially i was worried as to why he quit half way thru the series - but he had already decided to quit after this series . if not for the injury he cud have gone out with a winning series and cup - hope the bcci mgmt call him to nagpur when we lift the cup (hopefully)

Anil Kumble: It's a tough decision when you have played 18 years of cricket and been so competitive. But my body helped making the decision and also, this injury. I had already made the decision yesterday. Esp.. as I knew I won't be hundred percent for the next game. I had already decided to leave the game after this series any way.
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast