6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://whowrites.blogspot.com/2007/1...erthought.html

Kannada movie; an afterthought

My knowledge of Kannada movies was strictly limited to the single source of entertainment channel in the mid-nineties. I used to wait for the Saturday evening show (later moved to Sunday evening) eagerly, hoping I could see Annavaru Dr. Rajkumar, "rebel star" Ambareesh, "Kottigobba" Vishnuvardhan, or the Nag brothers in action. Movies were plain and simple, and it always ended in a feel good factor. I was never into watching Kannada movies in cinema halls. But as the years went by, as different channels came into existence, I could not keep up with the pace of Kannada movies; not that it was way ahead, but sadly, it had fallen way behind the standards set by its regional peers. So, I moved away from the solitary source to keep track of other things, but I still made it a point to watch the movies played on DD9, the regional equivalent of DD1, as and when I caught the Kannada movie watching mindset.
    Though I am not a big fan of Upendra, he brought some entertainment value to the industry. His movies were supposedly different from the conventional mainstream Kannada cinema. Now, now, that doesn't mean that Upendra was involved in art movies; he was an out and out commercial movie maker. He found an audience cutting across all age barriers that made my friends actually talk about watching his films in the hall. That was a big thing. For some reason, watching Kannada movies in the theater was an embarrassment to many; many did not want to admit that they watched one in the theater. That was not surprising considering the fact that the number of movies that could be watched with family declined considerably with time. Unfortunately, you really had to think more than twice before you spent money on a Kannada movie. Let alone watching in the halls, some of my friends did not appreciate my watching the DD9 movies too, ridiculing me to switch to other channels. The advent of Sudeep, Ramesh Arvind and a few others spiced up the industry. There was a much needed revival of the filmdom to bring back the audience. We had to look beyond the golden era of the seventies and eighties and walk out of the shadow of some of Kannada industry's greatest stalwarts to recreate the magic of the yesteryears.
    The Nag brothers - Shankar Nag and Anant Nag were a revelation on the celluloid. I have had immense pleasure watching the complete series of SP Sangliana, a cop, played to perfection by the immensely talented Shankar Nag. His potential is very much evident as he took up the directorial venture of Malgudi Days, and got rave reviews for his efforts. It was a path breaking venture, and the simple episodes were way ahead of its time, as Malgudi was captured in the simple town of Agumbe to perfection. His untimely death was a big loss to the film industry, for he could have easily gone places with his acting and direction. Anant Nag had tremendous acting abilities, just like his brother, and was one, who could leave you mesmerized with his on-screen persona. His movies - Beladingala Bale, Aruna Raaga, Gowri Ganesha and Ganeshana Madhuve are movies that can be talked for a lifetime.
    After meandering along, and actually now coming to the point, the Mungaru Male bug hit us big time. Everyone was talking about the movie. Friends, who I could not dream of them watching Kannada movies, told me that it was good. Released last year, the movie was running to packed houses in sophisticated cinema halls. That was something unheard of in Kannada filmdom in recent years. Everyone whom I met, and of course, those who knew Kannada, suggested me to watch the movie. I had listened to the songs, and to say the least, they are exceptional. They left me spellbound, as my player played all the songs on a repeat basis, and more importantly, often. I desperately wanted to see this movie, either online or by procuring a DVD. Kannada DVDs are not really popular in the US, and so I had to settle for an online print. The online print was not of great quality, and so I wanted to wait, till I had the best print. Luckily, here in Boston, thanks to a sizable Kannada population, but nowhere comparable to the Telugu population, the movie was screened sometime in October. Since my fellow Kannada mate was not in Boston at that time, I gave the movie a pass and hoped to view the screening later. Luckily for me, there was a screening of the movie last week, and we (read Chetan and I) couldn't be less excited. The last time I had seen a Kannada movie in the theater felt prehistoric. The theater in Boston resembled a mini Bangalore with everyone conversing in Kannada. It was a nice way to enter the theater with a feeling Wow, so many people speaking in Kannada!
    The movie was just too good. The way the screenplay and other nuances of the movie were handled was totally commendable. We had great expectations from the movie, as the word of mouth factor played a big role in its popularity, and honestly, we were not at all disappointed. The movie was certainly not out of the world, as it was handling the good old cliched subject of Indian cinema, but the way the storyline was treated really impressed us. We were struck by the picturesque locations used for filming the movie. The locales were breathtaking. The ending of the movie was what actually impressed us the most. It was absolutely realistic, with no jarry melodrama. It was plain and simple, and it really hit the mark with us. We walked away with a very good feeling - What an ending and what a movie!!!

Just like anything else, I love to bother people after a movie. I quizzed Chetan, "OK, what would you do if you feel you have met the girl of your life just a week before your marriage? Would you stall the marriage and marry the newly met girl?" I knew it was a tough question for him, but obviously, family takes precedence in life, and his answer was obviously not surprising. He asked me "What would you do?" It was not all that difficult for me "Where is that elusive first girl in my life?" Both of us laughed our way back.

As I went home and called up my Kannada speaking friends, it was not surprising that most of them had seen it, since they were the ones who recommended the movie in the first place, one of them asked me "So, what sort of a girl do you want?" I remarked "Being conservative, would obviously expect a conservative girl in my life." "Guys are never conservative; it is the girls who decide how conservative guys can be!" A thought provoking statement indeed, and I did not tax my brain as to find out whether I have to agree to that or not. At the end of the day, I was still basking in the glory of having watched a good Kannada movie in the cinema hall after ages.
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber swathy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think now even upendra also started working on remake movies.

his recent movie is remake of naan avan illai
    pala
    vedikkai manidharaip pole - naan
    veezhve nendru ninai thayo?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swathy
    I think now even upendra also started working on remake movies.

his recent movie is remake of naan avan illai
    yeah

Hero engira pughazh/visham/kirumi, oru sirandha iyakkunarai kolai seigiradhu

Thamizh'la SJS
    Kannada'la Upendra
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarna and .. neeya.. Kananda.. thread open panerukkea.. !! Greatba.. !! Nice to see such a thread exist in HUB..

I am planning to see Prem Kahani..

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    <blink>SHIVARAJKUMAR ROCKS</blink>

Post Thanks / Like
    Beru (root)
    A film by NA winning director P.Sheshadri
    Saw it on Lok Sabha TV yesterday.
    Beautiful film.

It's a shame that we (I mean I) know so little of filmmakers from other states.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually 70's was kannada cinema's golden period..

Many memorable and gr8 movies were made at that time.

Sharapanjara, Gejje pooje, Shakshatkara and many more.

Many people only remember puttanna but G.V.Iyer, seshadri, girish kasaravalli and many others made memorable movies too.

Kasturi nivasa, Lakshmi Saraswathi and many more

i insist people to watch these movies

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aa Dinagalu:A three year old film based on a book 'Dadagiriya Dinagalu'(days as a rowdy)written by ex-rowdy Sridhar who now runs a tabloid 'Agni' and is still rumoured to be into settlements.

The film's screenplay has been done by him and Girish Karnad(who also plays a role)and directed by Karnad's assistant Chaitanya(debut).

Very neat film,tells the supposedly true story of an industrialist's son,Chetan who is in love with a dance teacher.His father hires a famous 80's rowdy Kotwal Ramachadra to threaten her and Chetan gets sucked into the gang war between Kotwal and another don Jairaj.Sridhar is the hero's mentor as far as the underworld is concerned.

All characters are named after the real life people depicted except,I think, the couple who are still very much in Bangalore now.Wonder who they are!

For an underworld film there is hardly any violence or fights and the screen play keeps things very interesting.

The acting is good all around incl debutant Chetan who looks out of sorts in some scenes but does a good job overall.The heroine Archana(debut?)is pretty and impressive as Mallika.

Isaignani gives two very melodious numbers(Sihi gaali is popular even now)and is quite adequate in the BGM.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Archana(Veda) did movies in telugu - notably the remake of kaadhal kondEn and the original of something something - and also did a forgettable movie with Sibiraj \(or it could be Nanda)in tamil besides doing a "C U at 9 Malavika" in some hindi films.
    (refer "baed girl" as Honestraj calls Malavika)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast