Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Random musings

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lyrics - One Week : Barenaked Ladies.

Used to listen to this song 10 times a day atleast when i was in 8th Grade! Just started listeing to it again....why'd I stop Listening??

It's been one week since you looked at me
    Threw your arms in the air and said you're crazy
    Five days since you tackled me
    I've still got the rug burns on both my knees
    It's been three days since the afternoon
    You realized it's not my fault not a moment too soon
    Yesterday you'd forgiven me
    And now I sit back and wait till you say you're sorry

Chickity China the Chinese chicken
    You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
    Watchin X-Files with no lights on, we're dans la maison
    I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
    Like Harrison Ford I'm getting Frantic
    Like Sting I'm Tantric
    Like Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy
    Like Kurasawa I make mad films
    Okay I don't make films
    But if I did they'd have a samurai
    Gonna get a set of better clubs
    Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs just so my
    irons aren't always flying off the back-swing
    Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon
    Cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes
    that make me think the wrong thing
    (So random! )

How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're mad
    Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad
    I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
    Can't understand what I mean? You soon will ( )
    I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve
    I have a history of losing my shirt

It's been one week since you looked at me
    Dropped your arms to your sides and said I'm sorry
    Five days since I laughed at you
    and said You just did just what I thought you were gonna do
    Three days since the living room
    We realized we're both to blame, but what could we do?
    Yesterday you just smiled at me
    Cause it'll still be two days till we say we're sorry
    It'll still be two days till we say we're sorry
    It'll still be two days till we say we're sorry

Back after a while...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Stiglitz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A COMPLETE LIST OF THE FANTASTIC TRIBES OF ANCIENT GREEK LEGEND

ABARIMONES A tribe of backward footed men who lived somewhere in the Himalayas.

AEGIPANES A tribe of goat-legged and horned men who lived in the Atlas Mountains of Libya.

AMAZONS A tribe of warrior women. They fought with Heracles, Theseus and the Greeks during the Trojan War.

ANDROPHAGI (Androphagoi) A tribe of African cannibals who lived entirely on the flesh of men.

ARIMASPIANS (Arimaspoi, Monommatoi) A tribe of one-eyed Scythian men who warred with the Griffins for gold.

ARIMPHAEI (Arimphaioi) A sacred Scythian tribe, blessed like their neighbours the Hyperboreans.

ARTABATITAE (Artabatitai) A tribe of African men who travelled around on all fours like apes.

ASTOMI (Astomoi) A hair-covered and mouthless Indian tribe who lived off the scent of aromatic plants.

ATLANTEANS (Atlantes) The people of the mythical island of Atlantis. (The Supposed Aryan Master Race)

BLEMMYAE (Blemmyai, Sternophthalmoi) A tribe of headless African men whose faces were set upon their chests.

CALINGI (Kalingoi) A tribe of short-lived Indian men who reached maturity at the age of five and died aged eight.

CHOROMANDAE (Khromandai) A tribe of Indian men with hair-covered bodies, dog's teeth and a horrible scream in place of speech. They were basically a type of ape.

CYCLOPES (Kyklopes) A tribe of barbarous, one-eyed giants who shepherded their flocks on the island of Sicily.

CYNOCEPHALI (Kunokephaloi, Hemikunes) A tribe of dog-headed African men.

GEGENEES A tribe of six-armed, earth-born men fought by the Argonauts on Bear Mountain in Mysia.

GORGADES An African tribe whose womenfolk were covered in long hair.

HELIADES A fabulous people who inhabited seven happy islands in the southern ocean. They were almost hairless with bendable bones and a double-tongue which allowed them to hold two conversations at the same time.

HIPPOPODES A tribe of northern European men with horses' feet.

HYPERBOREANS (Hyperboreioi) A fantastic race of long-lived men who lived in a land of eternal spring beyond the north wind.

LAESTRYGONES (Laistrygones) A tribe of cannibal giants native to Italy or northern Europe. They were encountered by Odysseus on his travels.

MACHLYES (Makhlyes) A Libyan tribe of androgynes whose bodies were female on one side and male on the other.

MACROBI (Makroboi) A tribe of long-lived Indian men who were never touched by signs of old age.

MACROCEPHALI (Makrokephaloi) An African tribe of men with long, elongated heads.

MANDI (Mandoi) A race of Indians who grew old and wrinkled shortly after birth.

NULI (Nuloi) An African people with backward-turned, eight-toed feet.

PANDAE (Pandai) A tribe of long-lived Indian men with gigantic ears, eight fingers and toes, and hair covered bodies. The hair was white with youth but changed to black as they aged.

PANOTII (Panotioi) A fabulous northern European tribe with gigantic, body-length ears.

PYGMIES (Pygmaioi) A tribe of diminutive African men just one pygme tall (a pygme being the length from elbow to knuckle on a regular man). They were engaged in an endless war with migrating flocks of cranes.

SCIAPODS (Skiapodes, Steganopodes) A tribe of one-legged, one-footed Libyan men. The Sciapod sheltered himself from the sun beneath a giant, upraised foot. For this reason they were known as Umbrella- or Shadow-Foots.

SCIRITAE (Sikiritai) An Indian tribe with snake-like nostrils in place of the nose, and bandy serpentine legs.

STRUTHOPODES (Strouthopodes) An Indian tribe whose womenfolk had tiny, sparrow-like feet, but whose men grew giant 18 inch long ones.

SYRBOTAE (Syrbotai) A tribe of twelve-foot tall African men.

Some of these Tribes are quite Interesting. Idhellam vechi 1oK BC Madhiri soooopera oru padam edukalam.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shakthiprabha, there was a tamil actress Madhavi (who acted in Raja Parvai with Kamal Hassan), and she was a kannadathi. Whether on this basis you can say that the old Madhavi was also from KRN is doubtful.
    Last edited by Raghuram; 24th July 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    PersonalA pazhakkamillai, padichchavaraikkum thamizh dhaan nu ninaikkuREn.

CilappatikAram is dated somewhere in the 6th century. The story was probably older. That kind of coincides with the earliest available dates for the Kannada language (around 5th-6th century). Whether a distinct Kannada linguistic identity existed at that time, I am not sure.

And the dancing forms she is shown to be an expert of are all distinctly Tamil (are they ?). In fact those portions are basic references for Tamil dance culture. So I guess it is as Tamil as it gets.

Regarding Kaveri, are you suggesting it was her adaimozhi ? I don't remember reading so. Even then, kAveri is very much part of Tamil culture, isn't it/
    If the language existed, the identity existed. Remember, in those days there were no nation-states. Rather Kings ruled over a large part of the territory. Kannadigas must have lived under Tamil kings, so that does not mean the identity did not exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Nov,

Just came across this article by yourself.

Thanks for the post. What you wrote is absolutely right.

Infact I was so taken by this post that I copied and e-mail to my dear friends.

Rachudevi

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Nov,

Forgot to say which post. Below is the post I meant. Some words are gem. They are true no matter where and when they are uttered.
    Rachudevi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
    I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
    I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become.

I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234