View Poll Results: Is it Right To Copy other's creation?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

5 10.87%
  • NO

41 89.13%
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY - PART2

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Endha Poovilum is based off a classical composition and there was a time when that sort of thing (ripping off classical music) was viewed lightly. Even John Williams is supposed to have ripped off Gustav Holst's Planets for the Star Wars score, so I will let that pass. But I have to disagree that that also applies to the Simon Dupree case. The pallavi melody is almost a note for note copy, IR has only added some slight embellishment to Indianise it. But he has not metamorphosed it into a new melody as he did for Inji Idu. SPB actually had to explain the points of resemblance between Yeh Dil and Inji Idu, otherwise it is not something very striking...only the structure has been emulated and even there IR has made a lot of changes. But the pallavi flows exactly the same way in Akkarai Cheemai as Kites. Was it unintentional? Could be. At any rate, I don't know why somebody who can score music without first playing a single note on an instrument would do it, maybe he could have taken a little more care. Maybe he was asked to copy, maybe he was under pressure, being that it was early days yet at that time. Whatever it is, I am personally unable to call it anything but a copy so we will have to agree to disagree.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    Just realised that the video above - the original KITES which was copied by Ilaiyaraja in akkarai seemai azhaginilE - is not playing.
    So here it is in Youtube

Now its clear that every MD have copied which includes IR, so from now on instead of finding the source, or accusing them, shud try open to be open minded n appreciate their good works, I see more hatred for Rahman here, I dont know y IR fans r so insecure when IR is making good music....To appreciate somebody, is it necessary to insult some other...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Same thoughts. There for calls for stripping the Oscars off Rahman for the alleged resemblance between Adiye and the other song. But when NoV annan posted KITES link, now it has come down to pressure on the MD.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    LOL. Same thoughts. There for calls for stripping the Oscars off Rahman for the alleged resemblance between Adiye and the other song. But when NoV annan posted KITES link, now it has come down to pressure on the MD.
    I was only speculating on the reasons for why he might have done that, I never said that is THE reason. Don't put words in my mouth. Furthermore, I have said that irrespective of the reasons, Akkarai Cheemai is a blatant copy or did you omit to read that?

I also never said ARR's Oscar should be stripped and in fact I had also refuted dochu's claims of Adiye being copied, so why don't you talk about that too? Selective, much? Grow some...

I think those reasons which I said apply to all MDs. Unless there is a climate that encourages risk taking in art in this country, copying will continue. People should welcome an artist who takes risks rather than insisting on only feel good timepass all the time. I watched a British film Brick Lane yesterday based on a struggling Bangladeshi family in UK with 9/11 as backdrop. Satish Kaushik acted brilliantly in that film whereas he is usually wasted as a clown/comedian in Hindi films. If there is more originality in Western music - notwithstanding the prominent copycats - that is also because the people there encourage originality. We don't. What is the incentive for making good art in a country where R Rajkumar becomes a big hit.
    Last edited by crimson king; 29th December 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crimson,

My apologies. I mistook your post for someone else's. I did read your counter post to Dochu's claims. What I meant to say was the discussion has been intentionally/unintentionally diverted from stripping Oscars/ARR being disgrace to TFM to plagiarism being part and parcel of creativity.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, no probs.

"the discussion has been intentionally/unintentionally diverted from stripping Oscars/ARR being disgrace to TFM to plagiarism being part and parcel of creativity."

Uh, I didn't intend to convey that plagiarism is part and parcel of creativity, aside from instances of unintentional plagiarism (which can't be ALL of a composer's works, then he's just a thief). Rather, that it is part of the cynical way in which the film industry in India works.

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay78 View Post
    Now its clear that every MD have copied which includes IR, so from now on instead of finding the source, or accusing them, shud try open to be open minded n appreciate their good works, I see more hatred for Rahman here, I dont know y IR fans r so insecure when IR is making good music....To appreciate somebody, is it necessary to insult some other...
    வாங்க ஜே.கே. இதைதான் நாங்களும் ரொம்ப நாளா கேட்டுக்கிட்டிருக்கோம். அதுவும் இரஹ்மான் ஆஸ்கார் வாங்கினாலும் வாங்கினார், அவருக்கு அதுக்கு தகுதியில்லைன்னு எல்லாரும் ஒத்துக்கனும் அப்படின்னு ஒரு கூட்டம் இங்க ரொம்ப நாளா சுத்திக்கிட்டிருக்கு. அவர் அந்த விருதை வாங்கலைன்னாலும் எங்களுக்கு அவர் இசை எந்த விதத்திலயும் குறைஞ்சதில்லை. ஆனால் சில பேருக்கு அது அவங்க ஆளுக்கு ஏற்பட்ட அவமானம் அப்படின்னு கற்பனை பன்னிக்கிட்டு இப்படியெல்லாம் பேசிகிட்டு திரியிறாங்க. ஆஸ்கார் விருது கிடைக்கலைன்னாலும் இராஜா இசை குறைந்ததில்லை. எந்த விருதும் கிடைக்கலைன்னாலும் எம்.எஸ்.வி இசை சிறந்ததுதான்.

இந்த டொச்சு (என்னா ஒரு நிக் நேம்?) இதை இங்க பேசப் போய் அவருக்கு நம்ம nov திருப்பி கொடுத்ததும் இப்ப திடீர்னு திருவிளையாடல் டயலாக் பேசறார். அப்புறம் நான் என் உலகத்திலயே சந்தோஷமா வாழ்றேன்னு தகவல் கொடுக்கிறார். நல்லா வாழுங்க, யாரும் வேனாம்னு சொல்லலையே. மத்தவங்க உலகத்தில புகுந்து கும்மியடிக்காதீங்கன்னுதான் சொல்றோம். அதுவும் ஒரு பாட்டு திருட்டு பாட்டா இல்லையான்னு தெரியாம யூட்யூப்ல சொன்னாங்கன்னு வந்து இங்க பதிவிட்டா என்ன அர்த்தம். இரஹ்மான திட்டனும். அவ்வளவுதான். யூட்யூப்ல சொல்றது எல்லாம் உண்மையா?
    Last edited by thozhar; 30th December 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    கிரிம்சன் கிங் சொல்வதுபோல் இயக்குனர்களும் தயாரிப்பாளர்களும் ஒரு இசையமைப்பாளரை இன்னொரு ஹிட் பாடலை தழுவி ஒரு பாடலை தர* தூண்டுவது இந்திய திரையுலகில் நடப்பதுதான். "கனவு காணும்" பாடலின் மூலம் ஒரு ஹிந்தி பாட்டென்றும் அதை எடுக்க சொல்லி பாலு மகேந்திரா இளையராஜாவை வற்புறுத்தியதாகவும் எங்கோ படித்த நினைவு. அதை ஏன் பாலு செய்தார் என்று எனக்கு புரியவில்லை. அது ஒன்றும் அவ்வளவு சிறந்த பாடல் இல்லை. அதை விட சிறந்த* பல பாடல்களை இராஜாவால் தர முடியும், தந்தும் இருக்கிறார். ஆனால் அது இயக்குனருக்கு ஒரு சென்டிமென்டாக இருக்கலாம், ஏதோ ஒரு விதத்தில் அவரை பாதித்திருக்கலாம். தனக்கும் இராஜாவிற்கும் இருக்கும் ஆழமான நட்பை பயன்படுத்தி அந்த செயலை செய்ய தூண்டியிருக்கலாம். ஆனால் இதை நியாயப்படுத்த முடியாது. எல்லா சிறந்த இசையமைப்பாளர்களும் ஏதோ ஒரு சந்தர்ப்பத்தில் இதை செய்திருக்கிறார்கள். என்னை பொறுத்தவரை இரஹ்மானோ இராஜாவோ அவர்களின் தழுவப்பட்டதாக கூறப்படும் பாடல்கள் என்னை பெரிதாக ஈர்த்ததே இல்லை. அவர்களின் சிறந்த படைப்புகள் அனைத்தும் அவர்களுடையதே. இதை தேவாவுக்கோ, சிற்பிக்கோ, அனு மாலிக்கிற்கோ, அல்லது ப்ரீத்தம்மிற்கோ சொல்ல முடியாது.

Post Thanks / Like
    இதை விட யாரும் தெளிவாக சொல்ல முடியாது, தோழர். என் நன்றியும் வாழ்த்துக்களும்.

பாலு மகேந்திரா அவர்களிடம் உதவி இயக்குநராக பணிபுரிந்த சுகா (படித்துறை) இந்த 'கனவு காணும்' பாடலின் உருவாக்கம் பற்றி தன் 'மூங்கில் மூச்சில்' சொல்லியிருந்தார். ராஜா,பாலு இருவரும் மன்னா டேயின் ரசிகர்கள். ஒரு மாலைப்பொழுதில் மன்னாவின் Kasme Vaadeவை கேட்கும்போது பாலு அந்தப் பாடலை தன் அடுத்த படத்தில் பயன்படுத்த முடியுமா என்று ராஜாவை கேட்டதாகவும், அதற்கு ராஜா ஒப்புக் கொண்டதாகவும் எழுதியிருந்தார். இது அந்தப் பாடலின் இசையமைப்பாளர்களான கல்யாண்ஜி-ஆனந்த்ஜி ஒப்புதலோடு நடந்ததாக சொல்வார்கள்.

இதே கல்யாண்ஜி-ஆனந்த்ஜி ராஜாவின் 'இளைய நிலா'வை தங்கள் படத்தில் பயன்படுத்தியது வேறு விஷயம். Give and take policy.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    @thozhar,
    Please restrict discussions to appropriate matter and not involve in personal attacks. You seemed to be quite bothered more about my username, thiruvilaiyadal quote, etc - which is very much irrelevant in the scope of tfmpage.com.

I am neutral and will continue to be neutral. Like others, I acknowledge IR too has copied even though I am biased with his music and others. What I pointed is that the trend of getting many things from west is alarmingly increasing compared to 2-3 decades ago.

Like me, you and few others are also biased and tend to 'ignore' posts/facts because it is irrefutable (aaromale song etc)?.

Hence, let's leave it like that.