View Poll Results: Is it Right To Copy other's creation?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

5 10.87%
  • NO

41 89.13%
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY - PART2

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe my point is getting ignored.

I never said IR is justified in copying. Without talent, nobody would have scored that many number and lasted for 3 decades. Maybe his songs are insipid to you, but rest of the mass didn't feel that way and hence he ruled the industry. And logically (in comparison with public) it would be incorrect to call him mediocre because your taste didn't suit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now repeat after me.... Also for AR Rahman ....
    Quote Originally Posted by dochu View Post
    Without talent, nobody would have scored that many number and lasted for 3 decades. Maybe his songs are insipid to you, but rest of the mass didn't feel that way and hence he ruled the industry.
    And logically (in comparison with public) it would be incorrect to call him mediocre because your taste didn't suit.
    His music was fine for the public in the 80s. That's all. Also, he didn't allow any competition, thus we wouldn't know any better.
    A musician's talent would be measured by longevity.... now try comparing Annakili songs with Roja songs... which is still being listened to and gets radio airplay (public, not your individual taste.)

There is a King of Kings (shamelessly titled) concert this weekend... total disaster - they are giving out hundreds of free tickets EVERY day for more than a month. That is a clear indication of public taste.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    I never said IR is justified in copying. .
    Maybe Sony Music India and other companies restricts marketing such copied work, true MD's will emerge from India. Until then, western artists should receive oscar.
    Hope your above statement is for ALL copied works and not just selective MDs.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are contradicting yourself. At one point you said ' the worst period of TFM was the 80s"

and then you said "His music was fine for the public in the 80s".

I don't live in India, but on my visits, I see that one has to be pompous (no exclusions) to market self. Everybody seems to have some title, and movies that hints their entries into politics. Although wrong, that is the trend here.

I have been listening to several FM stations in chennai, they all have separate segments for old, IR, ARR etc. Even TV music channels (isai aruvi from 7 AM etc) have IR music. I am not sure why you want to project Roja alone is played in all channels. Doesn't that tell you the longevity of his songs?

Do you have first hand record of IR's dominance attitude over other MD's in past decades? Even if he did, if music didn't appeal to the mass, he wouldn't have scored 950 films. There were still several successful MDs like Deva came out during that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fine for the public, since there was no choice. Is that difficult to understand?

I suppose you are making all your claims with first hand knowledge?
    I lived during that period.
    And Deva came only in 1989. There is a world outside IR you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to 80's was worst with IR's domination in music industry with bad lyrics. So now music culture is at its best?. Because people made these choices. Look at the following example with good lyrics.

Like my previous posts, I pointed a similarity in tamil film songs (which is also pointed by several others in youtube). To slander anyone in particular, I did not extrapolate nor pull things off hand as a know -all person in film industry.

I am glad to remain (and will continue to do so) in older than MSV/MSV/IR times. Whether you want it or not, along with other MD's IR's songs are still played everywhere and they are evergreen and Roja alone doesn't dominate. With that I close my argument.

Post Thanks / Like
    So now music culture is at its best?.
    this one song is representative of now? Then nethu rathiri amma must be representative of IR's era.
    It is certainly true that lyrics got better after the 90s.

I pointed a similarity in tamil film songs. To slander anyone in particular, I did not extrapolate nor pull things off hand as a know -all person in film industry.
    You didn't stop at that. You said this "Maybe Sony Music India and other companies restricts marketing such copied work, true MD's will emerge from India. Until then, western artists should receive oscar."
    Yes, you did extrapolate and that is why I entered this discussion.

But here is the more funny thing... after accusing ARR of copying and suggesting to strip off his Oscar... and then showing a copied work of MSV to put me in my place, suddenly you became more accommodative of copying when I pointed out Ilaiyaraja's copying... "I never said IR is justified in copying." given with qualifiers, the same of which you were not generous enough to afford to others.

With that I close my argument.
    Nice talking to you.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The discussion got deviated. Both the songs that were shared belong to the same genre and have nothing more in common. It cant be even called an inspiration, let alone a 'copy'. TFM has witnessed many gentlemen who have set new heights in plagiarism but ARR is not one among them and hence his numero uno status for more than two decades.

Just because few people in YouTube believe it, the sun is not going to rise in the west.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Just realised that the video above - the original KITES which was copied by Ilaiyaraja in akkarai seemai azhaginilE - is not playing.
    So here it is in Youtube

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    TFM has witnessed many gentlemen who have set new heights in plagiarism but ARR is not one among them and hence his numero uno status for more than two decades.
    Not so fast. Here's where he got the bassline from Oorvasi Oorvasi. You can console yourself that he didn't nick the tune but nicking the bassline is plagiarism.

They all have skeletons in their closet, don't worry. And contrary to what dochu claims, it's not like things are squeaky clean in the West either. Nirvana copied the riff of Come As You Are from Killing Joke and settled it quietly out of court, AFAIK. Metallica copied the riff of Enter Sandman from some little known heavy metal band of the 80s. One of the most celebrated rock bands of all time, Led Zeppelin, are also the biggest plagiarists.

And another thing: being bigtime copycats never got in the way of getting to no.1 at different points of time for Nadeem Shravan, Anu Malik or Pritam (or SJ or RDB if you want to go to the golden greats) so there is no connection between no.1 position and originality in India, public doesn't care. When somebody made a youtube video pointing out a Jatin Lalit copy, they insulted him and asked him to go back to listening to gora hairy music. :P

The difference between MSV or IR or ARR and outright copycats like Deva or Sirpi is the former have their own style and at least try to write original compositions while the latter have no compunctions about it. Esp Sirpi, who nicked a entire song (Azhagiya Laila), pallavi charanam ellame from another artist..even made Mano sing in a similar style to that artist!! But let's not even get started about copyright and all, they will mostly all have to pay fines of lesser or greater amounts in that case.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast