View Poll Results: Is it Right To Copy other's creation?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

5 10.87%
  • NO

41 89.13%
Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY - PART2

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ennakkum onnum puriyala. There is a similar chord progression but it is not a COPY. This 'connection' is circulating for quite sometime on the net. Romba urudhiya vera copy-na solranga, eppadi?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a musician or know any music knowledge. As a layman, it sounds similar and looking at the time difference (1994 vs 2013), I could say who got it from who. And more such past incidents seemed to convince me atleast, pardon, no offense to other fans. Honestly, I don't think one needs to be an expert to make such assumptions, atleast.

If we don't say that is inspired or copied or lifted or whatever, then we can rule out many other incidents like ....

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    ennakkum onnum puriyala. There is a similar chord progression but it is not a COPY. This 'connection' is circulating for quite sometime on the net. Romba urudhiya vera copy-na solranga, eppadi?
    eppadi? yenna, adhu Rahman paattu, adhuvum hit song. appadinna, adhu kandippa copya than irukka mudiyum

One need not be an expert to make a casual observation that two songs sound similar. But, to acertain that it is a copy, you definitely need to be one. Songs in some genres may sound similar to a layman but that doesn't mean they were copies. In this case, I wouldn't even call "adiye" an inspiration of the other song, leave alone a copy. As CK says, the chord progressions have some similarity. That's about it. And "adiye" is way better

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok since we are making far fetched claims povomaa oorgolam is a copy of jingle bells.
    Can IR return his title?
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    நெற்றிகண்ணை திறப்பினும் குற்றம் குற்றமே. There cannot be any exceptions. More than the copy, it is the intention that counts for me. Indians have extreme levels of tolerance, hence it has become a vicious cycle to feed on each other. If there is accountability for one's action, things will improve.

I am sure Sony Music India wouldn't market Britney or somebody's song if sounds similar to other in US or other countries. They will try to avoid lawsuits. Which sadly doesn't exist in India.

I am not justifying anyone, but just extrapolating.....true talent can run its life for more than 950 films. While rest of them disappear soon. Look at following people - Deva, Sirppi, SA Rajkumar etc. Cannot run that long. No matter what we say, MSV, IR etc are exceptional.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dochu View Post
    I am not a musician or know any music knowledge. As a layman, it sounds similar and looking at the time difference (1994 vs 2013), I could say who got it from who. And more such past incidents seemed to convince me atleast, pardon, no offense to other fans. Honestly, I don't think one needs to be an expert to make such assumptions, atleast.

If we don't say that is inspired or copied or lifted or whatever, then we can rule out many other incidents like ....

You know what, I have Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King album in my collection and I have never ever thought of Aaromale as a possible copy. I repeat what I said in the other thread, Western guitar music - be it blues, folk or country - has a long tradition. There is no need for them to use standard keyboard packages, that is not the only way to compose such arrangements. Please listen to some more Western music, the authentic blues/rock stuff especially from a little way back when rather than contemporary top 10 and you will find similar arrangements like Arms of a Woman everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter what we say, MSV, IR etc are exceptional.
    Please do not club mediocre musicians with legends like MSV.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    Please do not club mediocre musicians with legends like MSV.
    that's a first for me. So IR is mediocre compared to MSV?

Post Thanks / Like
    that's a first for me. So IR is mediocre compared to MSV?
    Very much.... boring instruments, insipid lyrics, repetitive thaalam... the worst period of TFM was the 80s.
    70s was ok.

Listen to akkarai seemai azhaginilE original here:

and ABC nee vaasi, here:

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.. That's not even an inspiration but a blatant lift.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast