Endha Poovilum is based off a classical composition and there was a time when that sort of thing (ripping off classical music) was viewed lightly. Even John Williams is supposed to have ripped off Gustav Holst's Planets for the Star Wars score, so I will let that pass. But I have to disagree that that also applies to the Simon Dupree case. The pallavi melody is almost a note for note copy, IR has only added some slight embellishment to Indianise it. But he has not metamorphosed it into a new melody as he did for Inji Idu. SPB actually had to explain the points of resemblance between Yeh Dil and Inji Idu, otherwise it is not something very striking...only the structure has been emulated and even there IR has made a lot of changes. But the pallavi flows exactly the same way in Akkarai Cheemai as Kites. Was it unintentional? Could be. At any rate, I don't know why somebody who can score music without first playing a single note on an instrument would do it, maybe he could have taken a little more care. Maybe he was asked to copy, maybe he was under pressure, being that it was early days yet at that time. Whatever it is, I am personally unable to call it anything but a copy so we will have to agree to disagree.