Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coen Brothers

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got a chance to watch Burn After Reading. An intelligent film on a bunch of morons. The film does not have a central character like The Dude but all of them do exceptionally well. Brad Pitt was the most hilarious followed by Malkovich and Clooney. Loved Clooney's state of paranoia in the Brad Pitt-Closet scene and in his final scene Found Frances McDormand very good - awesome acting. And the CIA superior's "Jesus, What a Cluster****!" comment at the end sums the whole movie up. A must watch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dark Knight and now this from Thalaivargal....

Thilak,
    inga release pannuvaingala? Eppo?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naanga dhan sonnom'la
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Finally got a chance to watch Burn After Reading. An intelligent film on a bunch of morons. The film does not have a central character like The Dude but all of them do exceptionally well. Brad Pitt was the most hilarious followed by Malkovich and Clooney. Loved Clooney's state of paranoia in the Brad Pitt-Closet scene and in his final scene Found Frances McDormand very good - awesome acting. And the CIA superior's "Jesus, What a Cluster****!" comment at the end sums the whole movie up. A must watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Thilak,
    inga release pannuvaingala? Eppo?
    Bala, Not much chance of a release.

Post Thanks / Like
    Raising Arizona

Fun Movie. Must watch

Post Thanks / Like

Holly Hunter was good too .
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    Raising Arizona is a must-watch. It's simply the purest Coen's film. The critics didn't take it kindly because it subverted the general "tropes" of filmmaking, at least the ones existent around the time. It was also seen as "butchering" the styles of earlier films from hollywood studios, "disrespect" even. But I find it a thoroughly entertaining humorous film with lot of in-your-face symbolism. Nic Cage's acting is starkly different from any other roles he has done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    Raising Arizona

Fun Movie. Must watch
    The stunts were equally Absolutely B-grade stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    But they were very unique, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    Raising Arizona

Fun Movie. Must watch
    The stunts were equally Absolutely B-grade stuff.

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burn After Reading - Absolutely enjoyed it. Not in the league of Fargo or TBL, but good nonetheless. John Malkovich and Frances McDormand were both superb as usual. ('Drinking problem? You are a Mormon. Compared to you everyone has a drinking problem' ).

Is it just me, or do Coen brothers have a tendency to side with their women? In this one, the plot is essentially set in motion by the women, but it is they who emerge unscathed. While all the male characters' lives are changed forever, the female characters get to move on with their lives as if nothing ever happened!! Neat, very neat .
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Senior Hubber complicateur's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    Is it just me, or do Coen brothers have a tendency to side with their women? In this one, the plot is essentially set in motion by the women, but it is they who emerge unscathed. While all the male characters' lives are changed forever, the female characters get to move on with their lives as if nothing ever happened!! Neat, very neat .
    Interesting point! I never considered it because I thought they were fairly unsympathetic towards Tilda Swinton's character. My take was that the more innocent and well meaning the person is the more certain they are to get trampled over.
    "Fiction is not the enemy of reality. On the contrary fiction reaches another level of the same reality" - Jean Claude Carriere.
    Music

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast