Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coen Brothers

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn

I will also say that I liked Ladykillers. IMO, it was one of Tom Hank's best performances. Absolutely entertaining.

!!)

The weird wacky humor in their films is so arresting

In fact the opening conversation between Steve Buscemi and Bill Macy in the cafe/restaurant in Fargo is a case in point.
    "I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry. I'm not gonna sit here and debate." Dunno about others but to me that was

This one guy constantly cutting the other off with utter disdain can also be seen in TBL

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched O Brother where art thou on TV last night. The key here is to get past the first few minutes. To rephrase, getting used to the slang/setting/situation. The coens have a very weird sense of humour and it worked big time with me. The second half was incredibly funny
    Damn we are in a tight spot.
    I thought you was a toad
    Do NOT seek the treasure

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is Burn after Reading?

Watchin it tomorrow... :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Among their films, am yet to watch Miller's Crossing and Burn After Reading
    Have you seen their Raising Arizona as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Raising Arizona is a must-watch. It's simply the purest Coen's film. The critics didn't take it kindly because it subverted the general "tropes" of filmmaking, at least the ones existent around the time. It was also seen as "butchering" the styles of earlier films from hollywood studios, "disrespect" even. But I find it a thoroughly entertaining humorous film with lot of in-your-face symbolism. Nic Cage's acting is starkly different from any other roles he has done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Its in my watch list for quite some time

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys

Is blood simple a B-grade movie. I was reading through wiki's pages for a B-movie and I was shocked to see Blood simple there

Senior Member Senior Hubber complicateur's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ajithfederer: Blood Simple was made on a ridiculously low budget (I've heard in the less than 10,000 $ range) so the aesthetics are definitely B movie. Like Tarantino, the Coens also allegedly (havent seen the movie so I am forced to use this word) were heavily influenced by B movies in the making of this movie. To quote Pauline Kael from the New Yorker:
    ""Blood Simple” has no sense of what we normally think of as “reality,” and it has no connections with “experience.” It’s not a great exercise in style, either. It derives from pop sources—from movies such as “Diabolique” and grubby B pictures and hardboiled steamy fiction such as that of James M. Cain. It’s so derivative that it isn’t a thriller—it’s a crude, ghoulish comedy on thriller themes..........At moments, the awkwardness of the line readings is reminiscent of George Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead,” but “Blood Simple” doesn’t have the genuine creepiness of the Romero film. And though the dialogue is much sharper and smarter than Romero’s dialogue, the actors talk so slowly it’s as if the script were written in cement on Hollywood Boulevard. The picture is overcalculated—pulpy yet art-conscious. "
    The movie however went on to earn cult status much like its sources. "B movie" I guess is used more as a reflection of the stylisation than as an indicator of an inherent lack of quality (though Kael seemed to think it did significantly lack in quality).
    "Fiction is not the enemy of reality. On the contrary fiction reaches another level of the same reality" - Jean Claude Carriere.
    Music

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks complicateur

Post Thanks / Like
    Coens made "Blood simple", and they redefined their style, form, content, and story in their subsequent films, but pretty much revolved around the same themes that they first started out with BS. And thanks to complicateur, this particular line "it’s a crude, ghoulish comedy on thriller themes." applies to most Coen films, and almost always it works. As for BS,. it looks and feels a B grade movie, but at the time of its release, it was seen as a milestone in independent low-budget films.

Personally, I liked the film inspite of its bloody simplicity. It feels like an academia film by Coen's before they started out to more serious filmmaking. But as I said, it has everything you'd expect from a Coen brothers' films - infidelity, failed scheme, a mandatory evil figurehead, distrust, dumb characters, or what have you. And of course, I hear they have limited perception of Southerners in their films. And yeah, it makes sense. None more so than in "Blood Simple". But they have improved in their later films. Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM for example.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast