Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Coen Brothers

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Thanks Bro. Yes, I'm hearing it's a very un-Coen film. For it feeling predominantly as 'Charlie Portis film' might be because the book does a pretty neat job of explaining visually and staying true to the girl's POV. It's good to note that even "No Country for Old Men" as a book also feels like a film script, but there you have a challenge with different POVs! I could see why Coens would have fell in love with Portis book, even if it's not that big a challenge to adapt. I don't remember POV of the decidedly weaker gender of the wild Wild West. Coens are (deceptively) feminist filmmakers. That aside, the story also unfolds like a coming of age tale in unlikely backdrop.

Waiting for DVDSCR.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched True Grit yesterday. I have no idea what to say. For most of the time, I couldn't make out what Jeff Bridges was talking but still i could follow what was happening. The girl acted very well. Josh Brolin has a very very brief role. As Nerd said quite a straight film and I have to watch it in TV some time later again.

P.S: As with NCFOM, The coens do a great job of recreating the time and its effect on screen .

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    For most of the time, I couldn't make out what Jeff Bridges was talking
    They need to embed subtitles with the films. I found the audience LOLing at many dialogues which I missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    "The wicked flee when none pursueth." I'd be damned if Coens don't open the film with this quote. #TrueGrit #CharlesPortis #BookofProverbs
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV.
    +1. .

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    They need to embed subtitles with the films. I found the audience LOLing at many dialogues which I missed.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    I too felt the same... I know the southerner accent his different and often ridiculed by others... but this one I had hard time to follow his dialogues.... After watching several time "no country for old men", I was expecting this movie something on those line.... but it was completely different....being a great fan of western movies especially Sergio and Clint Eastwood, I was expecting more from Coen brothers....As I thought they are one among the current generation directors who can make good westerns.... I am deeply disappointed though the movie was not bad.....In future, looking forward to see Quentin Tarantino’s version of western....
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    True Grit - Pretty ordinary for Coens, but as predicted extremely faithful (not just the Mattie Ross POV) to Charlie Portis.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like

. Have seen this long time back. But had the opportunity to watch until Zeta Jone's divorce hearing on Movies now channel this month. Pretty funny stuff.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314