• Kill Bill - Vol 2

2 9.09%
  • Death Proof

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino - The man and his movies

Senior Member Senior Hubber Sid_316's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is good film maker! his scripts/ and movies on the whole are highly Entertaining!
    My Fav films :

Kill Bill 1

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

OST's in his films also just rock

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Reservoir Dogs was a good film, but one good film doesn't make him a genius.

I didn't like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. Those were mediocre.
    "The best form is no form." - Bruce Lee

Senior Member Veteran Hubber MrJudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar
    I agree that Reservoir Dogs was a good film, but one good film doesn't make him a genius.

I didn't like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. Those were mediocre.
    &
    'யுவன் இன்றி ஓரணுவும் அசையாது!'

Post Thanks / Like
    UngaLukku pidichchaa , ungaLukku pidikkalenaa ??

Ennayaa nyaayam idhu...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber MrJudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    UngaLukku pidichchaa , ungaLukku pidikkalenaa ??

Ennayaa nyaayam idhu...
    If you don't like, that's fine.
    Take it easy, Bipolar.
    'யுவன் இன்றி ஓரணுவும் அசையாது!'

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL LOL.. Just joking man...

Lots of my friends are big fans of Tarantino, Kubrick, Allen, Lynch, Cronenberg, Scorsese, Spielberg, etc.

I think most of their films are okay, I just don't feel that they can be called "geniuses"...

I guess I am the odd one out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bipolar, you call him many names but 'pretender' is surely not one of them. You just need to watch an interview to see him bubbling with passion about film-making, bursting with ideas, energy, film-history which he seems obviously struggling to channelize.

Thanks for the Charlie Rose interview Feddy. It was awesome. I have never seen such an elaborate Tarantino interview. Only sound bytes here and there. One of the best interviews ever. No false modesty but the humility of a well read person. He could talk about struggling to tame the flow of his ideas and yet not come across as supercilious.

The explanation of the dialogue writing process and the approval-as-a-viewer of his work in Kill Bill (action v dialogue direction) are among the best parts of the intreview.

I downloaded the Charlie Rose interview that came after Pulp Fiction. Hope to watch it tonight.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Have seen only four

1) Kill Bill 1 (Awesomest...more later)
    2) Kill Bill 2 (actually I was one of those who was a little disappointed with KB2 after KB1. And thought it was damn clever of Miramax to have split this into two movies. But still it is number 2 because as QT says, you can't really separate out KB1 when watching KB2)
    3) Pulp Fiction
    4) Reservoir Dogs (very reluctant vote....I saw it once, didn't find it engrossing at all)

Curiously the above is also the chronological order in which I saw the films. Expectation and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    You just need to watch an interview to see him bubbling with passion about film-making, bursting with ideas, energy, film-history which he seems obviously struggling to channelize.
    Well... yes, I saw an interview with him a long time ago... yes, he certainly seems to have a lot of passion for film-making... but that doesn't make him a great director...

I'm surprised you rate Reservoir Dogs at the bottom of your list... it's the only film by Tarantino that I liked... I haven't seen Death Proof... but even my friend, who's a big fan of Tarantino, said that the film was disappointing... so I don't think I missed anything by not watching the film.

I agree that some aspects of his films are good, but seriously, when I watch a film, I look for a plot that keeps me engrossed... Reservoir Dogs had such a plot, but I felt that his other films were completely lacking in substance...

I guess it's a matter of varying tastes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... yes, I saw an interview with him a long time ago... yes, he certainly seems to have a lot of passion for film-making... but that doesn't make him a great director...
    Sure doesn't. I was only objecting to the choice of the word "pretender".

I'm surprised you rate Reservoir Dogs at the bottom of your list... it's the only film by Tarantino that I liked... ...when I watch a film, I look for a plot that keeps me engrossed... Reservoir Dogs had such a plot...
    Quite boring for me. I couldn't get interested in he heist, it going wrong, what happened to the colourful characters....when that is the case the gore sticks out like a sore thumb...or ear in this case.

I guess it's a matter of varying tastes...
    ..which brings me to Kill Bill 1.Which IMO is one of the finest films made.

I watched it in a lonesome balcony in Regal Cinema: South Bombay. (weekday afternoons are for grad students). Recommended by a classmate who was shocked I dind't know the name Tarantino.

It was a ride from the word go. From the epigraph to punchline.
    The close-up shot of the bride being shot in mid-sentence is peerless in its abruptness. Great scene after great scene packed with great line after great line. I grew restless about the fact that I was a two hour commute away from starting a conversation about the film with my recommender.

The music, the pacing, the execution of stunt sequences apart, it was easy to be interested in the characters (mind you the film keeps you under wraps on what is it that she is avenging, or to be be precise what is it that led to the assault, which she is avenging).

The craft aspects, the chapterization, the distinct look,feel (pacing) of each of the chapters all apart, what I enjoyed was the nonchalance in terms of plot. (I guess this is what put lot of people off). A notepad and ticking off people is throwing the "what-next" of plot based storytelling at the viewer

The dialogues are not showy (as style over substance detractors imply) but really flesh things out. Eg. the conversations with Hattori Hanzo present so many shades of his personality. And some that just gasp at the inexplicability of it all "what she lacked in age, she made up for in madness".

Every subsequent viewing has not been about discovering new things. It has been about reliving the thrill of the intial viewing. It heads the list.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast