Thread: Blonde Moments

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blonde Moments

When I was asked to choose a topic for a free speech that was a part of our Leadership and Management skills workshop, I decided something that would easily and naturally come out of memory. For someone as pensively lost as me, "Blonde Moments" seemed apt! I announced it only to hear people ask what it meant. Forget the lexicon, I'd define it as an embarrassing moment caused out of one's own ignorant act or statement, or in simple words -stupidity!

I'm no etymologist, but I suppose it comes from the conventional belief that the golden haired blondes maybe attractive on the outside but speak to them, learn the depth of dimwit. Perhaps that's how the phrase "Beauty and brains don't go together" came about. Like, in India, there are "saddu" jokes, in the west,blonde jokes are popular. Though in reality, it has nothing to do with the real IQ level of the saddus or the blondes, it's just come to mean that way. So much so that, when someone did something stupid and embarrassed themselves, they'd say "Oh, I just had a blonde moment"

Before I walked up, my classmate Sonia asked, "Blonde moments? You? Karthika?".

I respect Sonia's opinion on my sanity, but here's there secret you shouldn't be knowing- I have more blonde moments than an average individual. Just fortunately for me, most of these moments go unnoticed at large but regrettably only the people whom I dearly hope haven't noticed, would do!

There is a certain expectation that the nick, "nerd "pressures on you. Last year, we had two theory exams on the same day. For a pure commerce material, theory papers may be creative writing session. It didn't really matter which of the two came first. I walked into the exam hall in full gusto and got the paper that was passed back and skimmed through.

Wow! Familiar stuff… I ticked off the questions I had to write. Rolled up my sleeves, slashed the margins on all the sheets, sat upright like a real know-it-all, and just as I begin, the girl beside me, pokes.....

"Hey..That's my BBA paper"

Cry. Sob. Weeps.

Blonde moments at workplaces can be blasphemous! On an internship, while interacting with a colleague, I was hardly listening. I had to make the best use of the short period there and was hence, I was mentally occupied thinking about my next question. As a response to something, I murmured, "so, where does your dad work?"

"He's retired"

"Oh! I'm sorry!"

"No no! He's just retired", he replied in panic.

Realizing my dire mistake, I said again, "Oh! I m sorry"

He got confused! I just hope he assumed humanity has reached the stage of empathy that there were advance condolences for even retired individuals.

Well, if you thought embarrassing moments with your close ones didn't matter? How does it sound if food is your first love, and your parents or your partner call you when you're mouthful, and you said "Hey, can't talk now! My lips are occupied with my first love. Can you call later?"

You're lucky if they do!

Come on, no one was born brainy. Life's a wisdom walk. You learn to walk only by falling over. Everyone has blonde moments, but more than being the joker of the moment, the better part lies in acknowledging it and laughing it off. Like Elsa Maxwell puts it, "Laugh at yourself, before anyone else can!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well put, well phrased

and It did paste couple of grins on my lips

I had umpteen no.of such blonde moments or sardar moments (to make it more patriotic!)!

I supp chevvy, these phrases of "brain and beauty dont go together' must have originated due to sheer jealousy!

"oh shez beautiful, I need to hit her ego somewhere very hard" "oh he is a brave soldier, I need to puncture his ego elsewhere" else wits and physical fitness or even hair color has remotest possible relationship!

As usual u rock with ur narrative ability!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those blonde moments call for subsequent sportive moments!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well Chevy i join you in proving that hair colour has nothing to do with such mindslipping moments...plus blonde doesn't suit my skin tone :P

Nicely written

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha

well put, well phrased

and It did paste couple of grins on my lips

I had umpteen no.of such blonde moments or sardar moments (to make it more patriotic!)!

I supp chevvy, these phrases of "brain and beauty dont go together' must have originated due to sheer jealousy!

"oh shez beautiful, I need to hit her ego somewhere very hard" "oh he is a brave soldier, I need to puncture his ego elsewhere" else wits and physical fitness or even hair color has remotest possible relationship!

As usual u rock with ur narrative ability!
    Thank you for that encouragement SP'ka

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    Those blonde moments call for subsequent sportive moments!
    Ha ha.. I hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida

Nicely written
    Thanks a lot ..

Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    ...plus blonde doesn't suit my skin tone :P
    Even for me! Will look like a blonde wannabe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi chevy,

they are also brave moments!
    btr

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blonde Moments

Quote Originally Posted by chevy

There is a certain expectation that the nick, "nerd "pressures on you. Last year, we had two theory exams on the same day. For a pure commerce material, theory papers may be creative writing session. It didn't really matter which of the two came first. I walked into the exam hall in full gusto and got the paper that was passed back and skimmed through.

Wow! Familiar stuff… I ticked off the questions I had to write. Rolled up my sleeves, slashed the margins on all the sheets, sat upright like a real know-it-all, and just as I begin, the girl beside me, pokes.....

"Hey..That's my BBA paper"

Cry. Sob. Weeps.

Come on, no one was born brainy. Life's a wisdom walk. You learn to walk only by falling over. Everyone has blonde moments, but more than being the joker of the moment, the better part lies in acknowledging it and laughing it off. Like Elsa Maxwell puts it, "Laugh at yourself, before anyone else can!
    hey Chevy - this is really good! I can relate to the first one myself but that's not in the exam hall but err.....in restroom..... walked into the Gents, thought it strange to have a wall with funny looking taps , 'released myself' behind the closed doors and when i came out, saw an old muslim man (with his 'sarong' and white cap).....I looked at him (dumbly of course ) and was wodnering why HE was there! Walked out of the door and turned to check the door (just in case)..and HE was right....

and yes, i don't know about wisdom but BOY! i can't tell you how much I laughed.. it happened in a hospital and I was waiting to see the doctor! People must have thought I had come to the wrong hospital! so, now I see not once, not twice but thrice before i barge in