Page 6 of 104 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Dhoni - The most successful captain of India

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj
    Why, in recent times, Dhoni is not performing well when he is not a Captain? / What is his best knock in Tests when playing under Kumble?
    It's actually a terrific and enviable "dubious" record to have as with most players its the other way round

P.S: Dhoni himself admitted in a recent interview that ever since he assumed captaincy he was been getting too cautious in his approach and that he should persist with his natural game (a complaint voiced by myself, nerd, feddy etc)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Why, in recent times, Dhoni is not performing well when he is not a Captain? / What is his best knock in Tests when playing under Kumble?
    It's actually a terrific and enviable "dubious" record to have as with most players its the other way round

P.S: Dhoni himself admitted in a recent interview that ever since he assumed captaincy he was been getting too cautious in his approach and that he should persist with his natural game (a complaint voiced by myself, nerd, feddy etc)
    What I meant is, his performance is not the same when playing under Kumble, after he became ODI captain.

What i understood is, "If u make me test Captain, then i'll play well in tests.. or else only in ODI's i'll score some not out 50's etc. to make the team to win which I am captaining"

Overall test record: 32 1614 148 35.86 (M R B Avg)

If we exclude the runs he got under kumble's captaincy his avg is 40.36

(A Kumble (as a Captain) - 10 403 57 26.86 (Mts Runs Best Avg) )

If we really get into the stats.. we need to compare Dhoni's test performance with other Top order players under Kumble's captaincy to get the real picture.

For a sample I collected the Data for Sachin under Kumble's captaincy:

Sachin (under Kumble) - 12 904 154* 45.20 (M R B Avg)

While doing this, i found one thing, that Dhoni skipped India tour to sri Lanka & this was the series where our batsmens avg are affected (sachin's avg is 15+ in 3 tests :P )

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/...;type=allround

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    karthik - he has played just two tests as a captain and he did extremely well in one of em - to compare it with ten test matches is
    anyways he is captain now, so :P
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by directhit
    anyways he is captain now, so :P
    Yes... no issues about this, he makes the team to win!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by directhit
    karthik - he has played just two tests as a captain and he did extremely well in one of em - to compare it with ten test matches is
    Not comparing his test record as a captain & non-captain post 2007 WC...

I was thinking myself (for long time) How he cud play very well in ODI's & not even half of that in test matches of the same series & people blame someone like Kumble for test defeats (who gives 100% for the team)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking myself (for long time) How he cud play very well in ODI's & not even half of that in test matches of the same series & people blame someone like Kumble for test defeats (who gives 100% for the team)
    R_R - first of all ODIs and Tests are different roles for him. In ODI say atleast 40-50% of matches he gets to bat from overs 25-40/50 and he needs to score, his options are more. as for tests and blames - his primary role in test matches is as that of a WK IMO - blame him if he dropped catches/stumpings (Srilankan tour wud show how good a WK MSD is/was). again am not saying he neednt score, but the no of tests u've taken is far too less. who knows you might see a similar string of 20-30 scores from him post captaincy too
    ppl are blaming kumble not only coz his field placings were defensive but also coz he wasnt taking wickets. if he did dont think there wud have been many complaints. as for kumble giving 100%, i guess all of em in the team gives 100% except maybe munaf :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Anoop.. freeya vidunga.. I am not a Dhoni hater / Kumble lover.

Maddy.. Data's kettaru.. innaikku velai illai.. sari idhai pannuvoamnu search pannaen

--------------------------------------------------------

Just I want to add one more sample:

This was the stats of a player who was made to retire (AFAIK) & it is Sourav ganguly under Kumble:

Sourav - 14 1086 239 43.44 (M R B Avg)

he too had a pathetic 16 as his bat avg in SL series.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/...;type=allround

Post Thanks / Like
    Anoop.. freeya vidunga.. I am not a Dhoni hater / Kumble lover.
    solradhellam sollittu, appuram enna

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sure

A Kumble (as a Captain) - 10 403 57 26.86 (Mts Runs Best Avg)

Dhoni as a captain (when kumble is injured) & he was a ODI captain:

2 192 92 96.00
    2 matches and 10 matches is not a fair comparison......reminds me of the joke my dad always says.......in a village of 2 men and 1 women, 50% of men marry 100% of women......

Dhoni as ODI captain - 36 1316 109* 54.83

Dhoni's ODI career so far: 120 3793 183* 47.41

Data I collected after 2007 WC i.e., under Kumble's captaincy... when he had a definite chance to be a captain for Test also
    he has scored his highest score under someone else.........good......if u look at his first 36 matches, when he was not a captain:

36 1153 183* 52.40

if you remember he was no.4,5 in ganguly team rather than no.6,7 as now........so, he was dismissed more times than he is now since he comes last while batting..........so, average does shoot up now bcos of notouts........

What i understood is, "If u make me test Captain, then i'll play well in tests.. or else only in ODI's i'll score some not out 50's etc. to make the team to win which I am captaining"
    this is itself shows its a perception issue.....after 2007 WC, we had no clue that Dhoni had a chance for test captaincy............there is a perception that

1. Dhoni is selfish and plays well only under his own captaincy,
    2. he is haughty and talks rudely abt seniors in press,
    3. he doesent respect seniors and treats them badly,
    4. he doesent like Sachin Tendulkar and waiting to axe him,
    5. he is a great politician and divides the team unity to rule it easily.

there is no way in the world, we(dhoni admirers) can remove these perceptions...... there is also a underlying reason for Dhoni bashing both in HUB and in general in the country.....if revelaed, will hurt lot of people....so let me avoid quoting that reason........

Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    a complaint voiced by myself, nerd, feddy etc
    i thot it was a complaint coupled with character assasination than a concern that happened few monhts ago....
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any particular reason to hate Dhoni or anything like that. Just a little annoyed that he is getting disproportionate applause. ovErA Eththi viduradhA thOnudhu. That is all. I won't labour to find concrete reasons. (As I quoted GM from Karna: unnai pudikkala dA...adhunAla adikkiren dA)

I think it may all boil down to a dislike for someone who plays a hoick over the covers with both feet in the air. Means vs. ends and all such aesthetic finickiness
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    PR, Dhoni is getting too much of applause because of the T20 world champion title. Again T20 was won without the Fab Five.
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Page 6 of 104 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast