View Poll Results: Is Messi the best player of the next generation?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but he needs to shake off his injuries, and get fit

2 40.00%
  • No, he is overhyped. I'd prefer others like Kaka, Ronaldo, etc

1 20.00%
  • Stupid question, I'm absolutely convinced he's on his way to become the best EVER

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foootballers of the week - Peter Schmeichel and Ryan Giggs

Senior Member Senior Hubber Sid_316's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yea u r right i understand ! "breaking point " came at the wrong moment i really wanted zizou to lift the trophy in his last match . But how i wish ppl like him dont react to sledges! like for example how sarwan did to mcgrath :P .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Sid_316's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Messi >>>> Robiniho

Post Thanks / Like
    Sid, Regarding Saudi arabia incident, It was again a provocation that got him a red card. I remember how he recovered after that. I recall Zidane telling how miserable, and helpless he felt watching the team getting crucial results to enter KO phase, and also the round of 16 game. He went on to say that sitting in the bench is much much worse!

And the sight of him throwing something onto the pitch (as a celebration) after Laurent blanc's golden goal is something to behold for ages. What passion! What a man!!! :P

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Messi is overrated. The man has excellent control of the ball with speed and can cut in but that is very reminiscent of giggs at his prime but he was never the best dribbler. Best dribbler would be that of Cristiano Ronaldo before he became more involved in a striking role and Ronaldinho. To me a true dribbler rarely uses his speed but more of technical control. I have seen Messi kept quiet by the likes of hyppia before and that itself is bad knowing how slow hyppia is.

Zidane is certainly not the best dribbler of his generation. There is one person even better but was talked on a lesser light than him. Remember Jay Jay Okocha?

Post Thanks / Like
    Robben is the best pure winger, IMO but injuries and his bald head will never make him a better player than, say Sneijder or Robinho.

Messi > Rubinho. Messi has been on top his game for a long time. His performance earned him the moniker of 'new diego'. But Rubinho was hyped as new Pele right from his debut. This is the problem, because everytime a young footballer comes through the ranks, people call them new pele, new diego, new best etc.

These are the same pundits who called Rooney as new Pele, Ortega as new Maradona, Sisokko as new Viera or better still bruno cheyrou as new Zidane
    Colt BOOM BOOM Cabana

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBK
    Robben is the best pure winger, IMO but injuries and his bald head will never make him a better player than, say Sneijder
    But Sneijder plays a more central role, and could never be compared with an impact player like Robben, who is always a threat.

These are the same pundits who called Rooney as new Pele, Ortega as new Maradona, Sisokko as new Viera or better still bruno cheyrou as new Zidane
    Rooney in my opinion is a class case of british hype. Of course, he's a good player, but he hasn't cut it at the top. In fact, he was doing good as a young kid, but has only gone regressive after that.

Cheyrou... Houllier would still defend the purchase with that new-Zidane phrase.

Post Thanks / Like
    comparisons can be funny at times. But i think some have really lived up to the expectations. van Persie comes to mind immediately. van Persie is almost on par with Bergkamp, but he's still not there yet.
    But most comparisons are pretty hilarious. Ashton the new Shearer (i'm a newcastle fan), Montolivo the new Totti, Lennon the new Beckham, Cole the new Gasgoine.. etc
    Colt BOOM BOOM Cabana

Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    More of Zidane later.
    If there is any awesome clippings of the "footballer of the week", pls do post. Thanks.

Many say Messi > Robinho. True indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay jay okocha's dribbling is certainly good, but again, EPL defenders come for the leg recklessly, and Okocha has the technique to move the ball away quickly. But again, Okocha could never do that against the best defenders. Which Zidane does with so much ease. Zidane's dribbling is simple, effective, and also, graceful to watch. His moves like a slow motion replay, and looks to have all the time in the world. Sometimes, he gets past the opponents with his first touch, or incredible control. He does that at a frantic pace of top level football match. Getting past Baresis, Cannavaros, Maldinis, Ayalas, etc (the best in the business) is something of a routine for the bald man. Important factor is he never goes for a hiding in big games! In terms of dribbling with countless step overs, there's his ex-Real teammate Figo, but Zidane makes better use of his dribbling.

Well, Messi like Giggs? You havin' a laugh mate. Giggs is a great winger, and a complete professional. Robben is comparable to Giggs, Overmars is comparable to Giggs. But Messi IMO is always a cut above that level. He's not just about pace, he also has got quick sidestep, feint turn, his own version of Cruyff turn (messi turn?), nutmeg (panna), etc. He doesn't do unneccesary stepovers and lose possession cheaply like critiano ronaldo, who is simply put, a poor dribbler, and an ineffective winger who is selfish enough to not pass. Messi's pace with subtle freakish movement is something we don't often see properly. La liga's coverage is superb in that respect, the slow-mo of his runs are a treat to watch! And, he never goes to sleep in big games against big defenders, which likes of Giggs, Cristiano ronaldo, and many others suffer from. The Anfield game is a one-off. don't forget his displays in El Classico, Chelsea, Man utd, etc for Barcelona. Don't forget he's just a kid! If at all there's a similarity with Giggs, it's their commitment, and dedication to their clubs (which likes of Critiano, Figo,etc utterly lacks).

Picture this, Brazil crowd gave him a standing ovation to him, and has been applauded by Bernabue crowd, would you believe it? It's like Rangers fans applauding Celtic player, or liverpool for ManU players. Messi is a legend in the making.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBK
    comparisons can be funny at times. But i think some have really lived up to the expectations. van Persie comes to mind immediately. van Persie is almost on par with Bergkamp, but he's still not there yet.
    Beyond my arsenal bias, I certainly agree with that assessment. RVP is a dangerous player, and has that typical oranje finesse of a Bergkamp. But could he ever shake off his injuries, and reach fitness levels to achieve the full potential? The jury is out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast