Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories Of Greatest Cricketers - - #8 Shane Warne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    But sriranga, Kapil did warn him multiple times and let him go. You can quite agitated and gesturing repeatedly that it was the third time that he decided to remove the bails. So I am reluctant to call it as against the spirit - as Wessels and co tried to portray it.

btw a quote about the original Mankad-ing. When the incident happened, Fred Truman was asked if he would have removed the bails in such a situation. His response was: "the question does not arise...when Fred Truman is bowling the non-striker is not eager to get to the other end"
    The problem is there is no clear definition of spirit of the game. if you can define it, it becomes the law, i guess. Its left to the individual's choice.
    for sangakara, gilchrist and lara, batsmen shud walk when they knick it, for others it will be knick it and wait for umpire ( respect the umpire's decision )

AFAIC, If the batsmen knicks and wait for umpire's decision, its not within spirit ( bad decisions that may go against the batsmen can't be an excuse). Similarly, what Kapil did was within the law, but it was not within the spirit.
    Gun-a edunna Bun-a edukara

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    sriranga,

I still think that Kapil was provoked into this. You may be right abt the issue. But, in overall perspective, Kapil had always been a good ambassador for the game and a legendary sportman with impeccable behaviour. I also feel that he is more wronged than others. He is once in a lifetime cricketer.

& today is the D DAY for Indian Cricket commemorating 25 years of Historic World Cup Triumph.

Post Thanks / Like
    sriranga, I get your point about law and spirit. Kapil did go out of the way to be fair that day. He warned Kirsten twice when it was well within his legal right to clip the bails off without warning. Even after that he was ambling down the track. How much more can be tolerated in international cricket ?

What annoyed me was the way how Wessels and Co. tried to portray Kapil as being cheap and ungentlemanly conveniently ignoring how he had graciously let Kirsten go the first two times. That is why I am particular that the incident be remembered in entirety.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday saw a TV program about the 1983 world cup.
    India defeated Australia in a must win game followed by semis against england and the final against WI.

Beating the top3 of world cricket is no joke.

The icing on the cake is most of the team member's acknowldeged that Kapil's hurricane innings against zimbabwe and the victory over them after being reduced to 17/5 in 13 overs,
    provided the spark for the team to beat the top 3 in the next 3 games to clinch the cup.

Kapil ka jawab nahi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    sriranga, I get your point about law and spirit. Kapil did go out of the way to be fair that day. He warned Kirsten twice when it was well within his legal right to clip the bails off without warning. Even after that he was ambling down the track. How much more can be tolerated in international cricket ?

What annoyed me was the way how Wessels and Co. tried to portray Kapil as being cheap and ungentlemanly conveniently ignoring how he had graciously let Kirsten go the first two times. That is why I am particular that the incident be remembered in entirety.
    he seems to have hit kapil with his bat deliberately while going for a run after the incident.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://sify.com/sports/cricket/fulls...1&cid=14692923

Kapil returns to Tunbridge Wells

Thursday, 26 June , 2008, 05:01

London: “Nobody believed in us when we landed in England in 1983, so we decided to believe in ourselves and went on to win,” recalled Kapil Dev Nikhanj, who led India to an epoch-making World Cup win 25 years ago to the day.

'Kapil's Devils' are back in England, this time the cynosure of all eyes, to re-live the summer of 1983.

Kapil took time off on Wednesday morning for a personal pilgrimage to Tunbridge Wells, a small, county cricket ground in Kent where he single-handedly carved an impossible win against Zimbabwe to let the world know “we have it in us to make it to the final”.

India seemed down and out at 17 for five, but Kapil's unbeaten 175 saved the day for the team and put it on the path to glory.

“It was the turning point. As I returned to the pavilion after the match ended, we were telling ourselves that if we could win here, we can win in any situation,” he recalls.

Kapil spent an hour at the Tunbridge Wells Cricket Club.

It was a stroll down memory lane as he walked up to the pitch, made his way back to the pavilion past the stands and into the dressing room where, as fellow team-mate Sunil Gavaskar recently recalled, “there was nobody when Kapil came… we were all hiding our faces because our captain had showed us how to bat”.

The Club officials and the media were at hand to welcome the former Indian captain.

All they would do after shaking hands with him was look at him and imagine him as a 23-year-old nervous youngster on whose shoulders the fate of his country rode.

Are the memories of that summer afternoon still fresh in his mind? “The memories are hazy. I really don't know what was going on my mind when I came in to bat. We were 17 for five then. Forget a victory, I was just thinking of somehow coming out of the ordeal respectably,”the legendary all-rounder said.

Alas, only memories remain of that memorable game: There is no footage of that innings.

Kapil remembers how, when they landed in England for the World Cup, the Indians were the underdogs, with betting agencies giving them a 66:1 chance of making it to the final.

“Initially, we never thought of the finals. But after beating the West Indies (in a league match) we realized we had it in us. Ham par junoon sawar tha jeetne ka (we were in a frenzy to win). After the semi-final victory, we were confident of making it to the top.”

Mohan, who runs a fashion business in Southall, is a close friend of Kapil and he recalls of the World Cup final: “There was a West Indies woman sitting next to me who would jig her backside in my face every time an Indian wicket fell. She stopped doing that once the West Indian wickets started falling.”

He remembers seeing a poster on a newspaper stand at the entrance of the stadium which read: “Lloyd heads for treble.”

As he walked out of the stadium after the Indian win, “I saw someone had struck off the word, treble, and instead scribbled, trouble.”

The most important incident of the final? “When Viv Richards fell, there was a sudden silence. We were all looking at one another in the stands. You can't imagine. It was really pin-drop silence. The West Indies weren't sure of victory any longer and the Indians weren't still confident of it either.”

The next thing he remembers is going to the hotel where the Indian team was staying. “The sound of Punjabi drums was ear-shattering. None of the players was saying anything. I think the victory really sank in only the next morning.”

Mohan, however, has a regret, even 25 years later.

“I did not go to Tunbridge Wells. I thought it would be a one-sided affair and expected India to win. So I gave my ticket to someone else. How was I to know that the turning point was out there?”

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be great if you people nominate cricketers. Please send me a PM with your nominations.

Thank you.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Viv Richards

[html:318117f518]

[/html:318117f518]

Bio-data :

Full name : Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards

Born : March 7, 1952, St John's, Antigua

Current age : 56 years

Major teams : West Indies, Combined Islands, Glamorgan, Leeward Islands, Queensland, Somerset

Batting style : Right-hand bat

Bowling style: Right-arm slow

[html:318117f518]

Record:

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/west...yer/52812.html

[html]

[/html:318117f518]

Post Thanks / Like
    The original MASTER BLASTER

Post Thanks / Like
    GGreatest of Batsman with robust style who gave enormous joy to the people in a typical west indian way and made bowlers shudder on his entering the crease. The great master bat had treated fastestest of bowlers with utter disdain, at time even moving outside the crease and whose range of strokes are to be seen to be believed. The best receipient of his strokes is his close friend Ian Terrance Botham who had to bear the brunt of the Richards special often.

His commanding walk to the crease with nonchalnace and not a care in the world attitude is a treat to watch. This great never wore a helmet even against the quickest. Rather the bowlers and fielders needed one.

Calypso king has won many matches single handedly for the windies. When Kapil said that once they got the wicket of Viv, our team believed in winning the Cup speaks about
    Viv's greatness and invincibility.

Viv was voted by Widen as the greatest one day player ever. For sheer magic and ferocity of strokes, he remains unique.

(courtesy my friend, I have videos of his best of innings which is a treasure no doubt)

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast