Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories Of Greatest Cricketers - - #8 Shane Warne

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sarna_blr
    " Boost is the SECRET of my energy.... no ... our energy... " indha Ad'a paaththa piragu dhaan enakku Kapil and Sachin'E theriyum...
    i thought the palmolive ad pre-dated this one??
    the tag line - "palmolive ka jawab nahin" - mouthed by a beaming kapil - still etched in the mind
    "Whenever I feel the need for exercise, I go and lie down for half an hour until the feeling passes." - Will Rogers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber sivank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I first saw kapil during the Pak-Indo series in 1978. It was awesome to see an Indian bowler running from a long distance to bowl. Till then I was thinking Madan Lal was the fastest we ever had. The long run and the sidewards hop and a perfect outswinger was really something we missed before.

The way he knocked at the Third test in Karachi was another thing we missed before. A hurra 59 in the first innings with 2 sixes and if I am not mistaken 38 in the second innings again with a six was also new to me. I have seen Gavaskar batting the whole day and here comes some 19 year old and knocks Imran, Sarfaraz and Mudassar so effortlessly was great.

I have read somewhere that Kapil is the greatest cricketer India ever produced and I certainly feel like that
    niraive kaanum manam vendum
    iraivaa nee adhai thara vendum

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sri and Sri, kapil himself said in interview that it was embarassing to lose that way, off the last ball.. Pizhai irunthAl mannikkavum..

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is definitely not against the spirit of the game. I myself remember watching the match and Kapil had given ENOUGH warnings to kirsten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    But sriranga, Kapil did warn him multiple times and let him go. You can quite agitated and gesturing repeatedly that it was the third time that he decided to remove the bails. So I am reluctant to call it as against the spirit - as Wessels and co tried to portray it.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before Aandavar - Kapil Dev was one of the reason why I got addicted to cricket! The best all-rounder that India has ever produced till date and one of the best allrounders in the world!

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sriranga
    But, Kapil mankad-ing peter kirsten was not in the right spirit and defenitely one of the embarrasing moments for Kapil.
    That was India's '92 tour of SA sometime after the WC! The non-Indian media guys during that time made Kapil look like a villain by comparing him with Courtney Walsh's gesture against Pakistan in '87 WC semi final Walsh's gesture is legendary! But please.... Kapil did warn Peter Kirsten a few times before that but Kirstein paid no heed... Kapil, throughout his career, has set an example for all other Indian cricketers on how to be sportive on the field! Hence nice gift from media for him!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Peter Kirsten incident was like an eye-opener for us. In our gully cricket, we used to consider that as an *out*. Actually, we ground the ball first before removing the bails with it, for reasons unknown! We stopped doing that after that incident, though we still continued issuing warnings :P

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/25/stor...2556742000.htm

A knock that rewrote history

Vijay Lokapally

A young all-rounder rewrote the history of Indian cricket at a non-descript cricket field in Kent 25 years ago.

That epic act transformed the face of how Indians took to cricket and Kapil Dev, as chief architect of that performance, emerged an undisputed icon among a galaxy of greats that included Sunil Gavaskar and Mohinder Amarnath.

It is difficult to persuade Kapil to talk about that innings. “The World Cup win was not about that innings,” he counters. It was not in his opinion.

But Gavaskar rates it the best one-day innings of all times while Sandeep Patil counts the knock as a “monumental” contribution from an all-rounder who ruled world cricket like few.
    Cold day

It was a cold and windy day at Tunbridge Wells and India was laid low by the ball that seamed and kicked alarmingly. “Survival was next to impossible,” recalled Madan Lal.

But Kapil produced a gem, restricting himself to playing in the V and then gradually showcasing his wide range of strokes.

“I had to play a role and I am glad I did it to the team’s liking. The team reacted to a man that day and that to me has been the lasting memory of the Cup.

“You may have individual performances to gloat about but to me what mattered was that it was a wonderful team effort.

It remained so till the moment we shocked the West Indies,” Kapil underplayed his unbeaten 175.

India took Australia, England and West Indies in its stride and set new benchmarks for the generations to follow by winning the Cup against all odds.
    Five wise men

But the team did not forget to pay tributes to five men who had trusted them to conquer the world. Credit has never come the way of Chandu Borde, Bishan Bedi, Hanumant Singh, Kripal Singh and Ambar Roy, who picked the best 14 available on form and merit.

As Bedi pointed out, those who sat out the final were Dilip Vengsarkar, Ravi Shastri and Sunil Valson, three outstanding performers of the season.

Reflecting on the triumph, Kapil said, “there were no individual heroes as far as I am concerned. We cared and played for each other and that was the clinching factor. Team came first and the players responded to a man. I am proud of that team.”

So is the nation, which salutes the heroes of 1983 as they commemorate that glorious day at Lord’s by coming together at the same venue. Any regrets?

“None,” asserts Kapil. Any desires? “I want India to win the Cup again.”

The ball is in the courts of the young players, most not even born when Kapil’s team was adding an unforgettable chapter to the history of Indian cricket.

“It would be the best gift to us,” was Kapil’s emotional wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsri
    Quote Originally Posted by sarna_blr
    " Boost is the SECRET of my energy.... no ... our energy... " indha Ad'a paaththa piragu dhaan enakku Kapil and Sachin'E theriyum...
    i thought the palmolive ad pre-dated this one??
    the tag line - "palmolive ka jawab nahin" - mouthed by a beaming kapil - still etched in the mind
    guys. Nostalgic...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Kalyasi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    The Peter Kirsten incident was like an eye-opener for us. In our gully cricket, we used to consider that as an *out*. Actually, we ground the ball first before removing the bails with it, for reasons unknown! We stopped doing that after that incident, though we still continued issuing warnings :P
    Aamaam, Runout at the Bowler's end wud be one leg on the stone(no stumps available ) and catch the ball.... Ethukku ne theriyathu
    em Chennai! yaam vaazhum pon Chennai!
    viral ayinthum theendamal vegamattom!
    thazhthalum sangathigal vizhthalum!
    thaai mannil sagamal sagamattom!! -- Saagum Varai CSK

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast