Thread: Memories Of Greatest Cricketers - - #8 Shane Warne

Threaded View

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber sivank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Great recap Sivan. But one or two doubts. Venkat was definitely in the team to Pakistan but didn't get to play any Tests, right? In fact on the first day of the third Test, the press reports said that Venkat would be playing but it was not be.

Was there Live telecast for that series? We (at Madurai or for that matter rest of Tamil Nadu) didn't have TV coverage. I am damn sure that 1982-83 series was telecast because on a trip to Madras, I had seen the live relay from my friend's hostel. But 1978? Since we had to follow thro' radio, I didn't do it ball by ball. Moreover it came during our semester exams and in between Deepavali (Oct 30th in that year -1978) also intervened and that didn't allow us to concentrate ball by ball.

Nerd,

I mentioned about reverse swing that Imran used to gain upper hand in 1982 -83 series and I had the bottle top in my mind when I wrote this. But one person contradicted me saying it was indipper. As for as my limited knowledge goes, reverse swing is an inswinger or indipper that is bowled with a outswinger action just like googly. Correct me if I am wrong. Imran's admission of doing it at Sussex in 1981, substanciates my theory for 1982-83.

Regards
    Hi Murali,

Venky was in the team but was not given a chance to play a Test. As you mentioned Prasanna was omitted for the last test and naturally there were talks that venkat would take his place. As we saw the team announcement to our utter sorrow Ghavri was included instead of Venkat. Even though Venkat got to play all the 3 one day matches it was a pity he was side lined for the Tests.

I am very much sure that we had live Telecast in Madras. The match started at 10.30 a.m. due to the 1/2 hour difference between India and Pakistan. By that time we would have had our food and get ready for the match. Being a 12 year old, I was under the impression that the match was telecasted all over the country. We had a dynora (was it spelled like that) TV and the whole gang was at our house to watch. Sometimes when it was too much for my mother we used to watch it in a friends house

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement