Thread: Tamil Brahmi inscriptions and other archaeological finds

Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iravatham Mahadevan had a piece in the Hindu a few days ago, titled "An epigraphic perspective on the antiquity of Tamil." It's a wonderful overview of how the discovery of the Tamil Brahmi script has changed our understanding of the past:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article482654.ece

This bit was news to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Iravatham Mahadevan
    A much more sensational discovery is a pottery inscription from an excavation conducted at Tissamaharama on the southeastern coast of Sri Lanka. A fragment of a high-quality black and red-ware flat dish inscribed in Tamil in the Tamil-Brahmi script was found in the earliest layer. It was provisionally dated to around 200 BCE by German scholars who undertook the excavation. The inscription reads tiraLi muRi, which means “written agreement of the assembly” (See Figure 4). The inscription bears testimony to the presence in southern Sri Lanka of a local Tamil mercantile community organised in a guild to conduct inland and maritime trade as early as at the close of the 3rd century BCE.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You podalai.

I didn't quite understand Parpola's article though. I mean, what the significance of this is, in the whole scheme of things.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran
    http://beta.thehindu.com/news/states/article26324.ece

Indus valley symbols found in Kerala.
    “The discovery of the symbols are akin to that of the Harappan civilisation having predominantly Dravidian culture and testimony to the fact that cultural diffusion could take place. It is wrong to presume that the Indus culture disappeared into thin air,” Mr. Varier said.
    Dr Max Muller had proved authentically that there was never a Human-race named as "Dravidian Race" nor Dravidian Culture anywhere in the world.

And the origin of all Indians belong to ONE HUMAN-RACE called Aryans of One Vedic-Culture spread over the whole ancient Bharatha which was named Bharatha varsha--

--which was spread over a vast area of the present countries, Afganisthan, Turkey, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Srilanka, Morecius, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia regions--

--as categorically established by analytical research on archaleogical sites at about 2500 locations in addition to Mahenjadaro and Harappa.

Archologically the findings at all these locations belong to One and the same Culture of One Human Race named Arya.--

The name Dravida means mainly the Language Tamil as called by others and not a separate Race nor Culture different from one Homogeneous ancient Vedic culture...

--of one and the same ancient Human-race spread over the whole region of Bharatha-Varsha land, as detailed above.

No doubt there existed two groups of Scripts Epigraphically called as Brahmi and Vattezhuthu (ancient Tamil Script)

British made Indian History is false " established Dr Max muller.

Such an argument of Max muller was accepted by Dr Ambedkar too and could not be further refuted by British Historians

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama
    Archologically the findings at all these locations belong to One and the same Culture
    Sudhaama, the jury is still out on the script decipherment. The issue is far far from settled with claims, counterclaims and all.The thread is about news and updates on the progress in research in this field.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry but some postings here are simply
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ariyar, Dravidar, Tamilar, singalavar, vellaiiyar , karupar all man made. There is no meaning to it. Race, Cast, Religion all made by the 'Mad humans'.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

. Why named BRAHMI.?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama

TAMIL is the FIRST Language of India.!

--as also the FOREMOST in World.!!!

--Says One French Historian, which multi-faceted Truth was endorsed by an American multi-scholar Dr. David Kaylor,

--who took zealous interest in Tamil language and learnt it to a scholarly level—

-- such that he could write an Analytical Treatise on Tamil-Veda THIRUVAAYMOZHI --

--and also extol that TAMIL-VEDA, THIRUVAAYMOZHI as the Most Exemplary Gospel of HUMAN-VALUES.!

In support of such a stand on the Greatness of Tamil Language, I had a MIRACULOUS EXPERIENCE—

--INCREDIBLE—but TRUE ! – Yes, My Personal Experience, about 50 years back

In a village near Nagpur India, my friends took me to a Sadhu baba Maharashtrian Brahmin, who was said to be a very rare person endowed with a high standard of Spiritual powers ESP (Extra Sensory Powers)--

--especially a THOUGHT-READER who could be possessed by the Holy Spirit of Sri Sant Tukaram and narrate His words in reply to our Questions on Life.

When I came in front of him, he opened his closed eyes and just smiled at me silently— raising one hand up, in a blessing gesture.

My friends whispered to me, “Oh You are lucky.! He rarely permits anybody and he has invited you with blessings. It is a good sign to mean that he is prepared to answer to your questions.”

As already guided by my Friends earlier— I prostrated at him and sat in front silently.

With closed eyes, he started talking to me in Hindi. (He knew only two Languages, Marathi and Hindi. I was well-conversant with Hindi too.)

“Your name is ------- (Said Correctly) --- You are a person of SARASWATHI-BASHA .

--You have come here for ---- purpose. Now You have come to me to get answers on Life Questions---- and so on-- he was uttering one after another amazing statements of Truth past and present, on my personal Life unknown to anybody else as Mankind.

Then I asked “What is meant by SARASWATHI-BASHA.?”

He replied “Your Language TAMIL is SARASWATHI-BASHA.—created by Vishnu but taught by Him to Saraswathi devi--

--who taught it to the Earthly Mankind then at Prayag (Allahabad), several Thousands of years back---

--- as the First Language of the World.

Sanskrit is a BRAHMA-BASHA created by lord Vishnu and taught to Brahma who spread it on Earth through Maha-Rishis (Sages)—

--but Sanskrit was introduced to Earthly Mankind subsequently,

--Only as a SECOND LANGUAGE after Tamil---

Because every time, Saraswathi-devi used to emerge out of Saraswathi-River at Prayag--- Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswathi Tri- Rivers Junction,

---Stranger people too called Your Language Tamil--- as SARASWATHI-BASHA” Said Sadhu-Baba to me in person.

I could believe it by linking with Frenchman’s History---

---and Tamil Saint AUVAIYAR’s Biography.!!!

Yes Tamil is the SARASWATHI-BASHA.!!!

.I believe it--- whether Others believe so, Or Not.!

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And, two years later, a follow up:

As you'll remember, the original article related to the excavation of a grave at Porunthal, where they'd found a jar with paddy, beads, stirrups and two inscribed ring-stands which read "vayra" in Tamil Brahmi. Well, according to the Hindu, they've now dated the paddy in the jars excavated at Porunthal and it's been dated to 490 BC.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle2407358.ece

As the Hindu points out, this is potentially revolutionary. As people who've been following this thread know, the Brahmi script is generally taken to have originated at Asoka's court. If the dating is correct, then we have here an example of Brahmi writing from well over 200 years before Asoka's time. There's no sign that the grave's ever been excavated earlier - the site looks like a one-time burial, so if the paddy's from 490BC, then so is the inscription (we can, I think, safely discount the possibility that they just happened to have 300-year old grains lying around at the time of the funeral).

As the Hindu reports, the excavators of the site, and people like Professor Chakrabarti (Cambridge) are taking this finding very seriously, while others are a little more cautious. It's too early to tell either way, but it'll be interesting to see how this finding develops. It's worth mentioning that there's previously been an inscription found at Anuradhapuram that was dated to a pre-Asokan period, but everyone assumed something had gone wrong with the dating. And the Late Dr. Gift Siromoney had, of course, spent much of his career arguing for a South Indian origin of Brahmi, as we've discussed a few pages back on this thread.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast