Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Earth

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thriinone
    How much is possible to be practically put in practice?
    To answer your question

I live in Ireland.... (some of it may not be applicable in India)

I have only CFLs in my house.
    All my electrical appliances are A rated.
    I compost all my organic waste at home
    I use a recycle bin for paper.
    I take any recyclable material to the recycling centre atleast once a month (includes plastics, metal, wood, paper, cardboard, etc)
    I try and walk to any place that is within half an hour's walking distance (upto 3km) when ever possible.
    Though most of my friends have suggested that I buy a second car, I still have stuck to only one car which we use as a family car.
    My husband takes the train to work.
    I buy only gift vouchers as gifts for others so they can buy what they need instead of me buying something that they will not use.
    Most of the stuff that I use for my son is hand-me-downs. The moses-basket, pram, travel-cot, and a whole pile of other things!
    I try not to buy new clothes specifically for Diwali, pongal, birthdays, etc!
    Instead of buying flowers for people, I buy plants for them.
    I try and grow my own vegetables.
    I do not buy stuff just because they are on a sale!

This is just a sample, now tell me if it is easy and practiable to practise simple things to make life better for the next generation
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou,

Few more things that r easy to follow...

Use rechargeable batteries instead of the use & throw ones...

Always keep a 'green bag' handy whenever you go out... these days we get bags that can be folded into a tiny ball... so carrying them shouldn't be a problem...

utility companies & few others give an option to either receive paper bills or e-bills... opt for the later...

Do not use harsh chemicals for simple house cleaning... Instead Scotch brite & few others have a special cleaning towel which can clean moderately tough dirt without the use of any chemical cleaners...

use solar lamps instead of the normal emergency lamps... I have seen ppl charging the emergenecy lamps & burning it just coz they want to maintain the battery in good condition...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Technology spewing out more & more comforts wrapped in dangerous, undisposable 'garbage'!!!

Shallow minds, narrow hearts, selfish life, short-sighted goals...

AWARENESS! The need of the hour!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also better to use bio-degradable home care products rather than the ones commonly available.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anoushka,
    Excellent! You're a nice model to follow!!

As this has to involve more than a few individuals, it helps to be a bit "loud" about what one is doing Without being bombastic or preachy, it'll still have to be made known to others what steps one has taken, in an encouraging way. That'll create more people to support the initiatives.

I'm reminded of my visits to grocery shops while in Palakkad when on a number of occasions, following used to happen:

Store-boy (to me) : 'sArukku baig vENdallO?'
    me (if I don't have my regular thuNippai) : 'vENdA, vENdA' (and pick up items by hands as much as possible and drop them off in the vehicle, may be 2 -3 trips)
    Store-boy (to an onlooker) : 'ee sAru plastic pai upayOgikkilla'
    Onlooker (to me) : adhu endhinA?
    Me: hEy, nammekkoNdu parisaram nashippikkaNdA ennu vachchAnu...

That's all. With a smile and feeling so happy I used to leave I used to always get a kick in having that reputation with the store boy

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine.. unmayaavaa
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sarna_blr,

On some days, I won't be able to locate some decent thuNippai but only the famous 'manja' color pai Without any koochcham, I'll carry that to the store I'm not sure whether you know how much fun malayAlees make of the yellow color bag given by TN cloth shops

When one is convinced of doing something good, such ridicules won't bother. I think years later, at least on a number of cities / districts in Kerala, the plastic bags themselves are banned.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    sarna_blr,

On some days, I won't be able to locate some decent thuNippai but only the famous 'manja' color pai Without any koochcham, I'll carry that to the store I'm not sure whether you know how much fun malayAlees make of the yellow color bag given by TN cloth shops

When one is convinced of doing something good, such ridicules won't bother. I think years later, at least on a number of cities / districts in Kerala, the plastic bags themselves are banned.
    i know that... even in blr my friends used to make fun of it by calling manjaa bag...

ippO graamangalukku kooda plastic bag nozhanjiduchchu by replacing news papers in maligai shops...
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine: well done! Here there is a charge for plastic bags I have a few bags in my car/hand bag all the time anyway!

When in Chennai and I run to the shop to get a couple of things, I always tell the shop guys not to waste a plastic bag for me!

I think once you realise how much damage we have done to earth it is easy enough to do simple things like these!

Look at the weather these days. Chennai was never this hot when we were kids... we can see the damage we have done and I hope atleast this makes people make an effort to change!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are many people, esp. in small towns who are ardently attached to manja pai in a sentimental way!

The use-and-throw concept is a bane definitely!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast