Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your rate?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what's your rate?

The following story is written by my fellow colleague cum good friend...
    I thought of sharing this story with you all...

================================================== ===============

Having completed my graduation, I moved to the city where I had recently got a job as a trainee in a private accounting firm. I was brought up in a foster home and had just a small piece of land in the village, which I had leased it to a farmer while I was away. The hardships faced in my foster home, the fact that I had no blood relation in the world, these were not the thoughts that were in my mind as I just managed to get into the bus that would take me to my office. Missing this bus, would have caused me another thirty minutes delay to reach office and I couldn’t afford to do that, if I wanted to be noticed by the partners of the firm.

I had just started going through my client’s balance sheet, when I heard it for the first time.

“Mine is four. What’s your rate?”
    “Wow four already. I think mine is around three lakhs”.

The mention of three lakhs got my complete attention and I got up to have a look at the source of this distraction. They were a bunch of trainees and I decided to join them in their conversation.

“Hi, I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation. What are these numbers that you are talking about?”

“Oh, we were discussing about our ‘market’ value, that the prospective bride’s family is willing to pay to us. You know you are worth a couple of lakhs yourself”, said one of them with a wink.

The mention of money placed all my social beliefs in the backburner and by the end of the conversation I had decided to get married to someone who would be willing to pay my rate. As I did not have anybody to consult for my decisions pertaining to my personal life, I decided to give this a shot at the earliest. After all I was going to marry someday, so why not sometime soon? Imagine the things that I could do with the money they would pay me.

So the very next day I posted my ‘resume’ on a couple of matrimonial websites. The waiting began.

After a couple of failures I finally locked on to one girl. Not that the bride’s family had decided to pay my value, it was just that I had finally identified someone who was a potential life partner. I met her for a couple of times before we decided to give our consent. The marriage date was fixed for the next week and it was to be a simple marriage in front of the marriage registrar.

I had decided to place my demands on the day of the wedding, for maximum impact (atleast that’s what they show in the soaps). On the day of the wedding the bride and her family were already there before I turned up at the registrar’s office. I called the bride’s father aside and demanded for two lakhs, to marry her daughter.

The change in my in-law’s face was astounding. It wasn’t an expression of submission or helplessness but that of anger. He immediately called his relatives and explained the situation.

=INTERMISSION=
    Sach is Life..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    continued...

I do not remember anything that happened to me for the next thirty minutes. When I regained consciousness, I found myself in a gutter near the registrar’s office.

The next day, I hit the headlines of all the major local newspapers’ for all the wrong reasons. I knew I had to get out of this town before the mob would come for me. I panicked and left immediately to the busstation , leaving behind all my belongings .

When I reached the bus station I realized I did not have any money on me. Going back to my home in the city would be a mistake. I decided to somehow get the money from people and get a ticket to my village. The bus fare was fifty three Rupees.

By evening I had managed to collect about ten Rupees by begging. I hadn’t eaten since yesterday and had to spend the hard earned money on food. Thoroughly dejected I walked up to a bench to catch some sleep.

I was asleep for sometime when I felt someone feeling me and trying to wake me up.

I opened my eyes and saw a tall middle aged man, sizing me up and then he asked me the familiar question.

“Psst…Are you available? What’s your rate? “

Looking at my confused face he realized that he had mistaken me for a druggy whom he would have paid in return for some favours.
    He hurriedly started walking towards the exit and I realized that I had just lost my chance to freedom. Having already sold my soul to the devil I did not care about the repercussions of what I was going to do.

I hurried behind him.
    “Wait sir…wait. My rate is just fifty three rupees”.

THE END
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    enakku puriyalayE...
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not remember anything that happened to me for the next thirty minutes. When I regained consciousness, I found myself in a gutter near the registrar’s office.

what is there not to understand?...a man who once demanded 2 lakhs of what he was not even worth truly shows his worth in his last rating of 53 rupees...harsh yes, unfair yes...makes a point...indefinitely! For once i'm surprised daddy dear actually got angry

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice one-

daddy dear wouldn't have been pissed off if he had demanded before the marriage date was fixed

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful narration! Very pathetic youth, the hero! Misguided & naive! Far better a man than the host of scheming villains we see in reel and real life!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sarna_blr
    enakku puriyalayE...
    idha kandukkaama ellaarum story nallaa irukkunnu solreenga atleast anyone translate it in tamizh pls
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    congrats to SS friend.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast