Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol saving and tips....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Petrol saving and tips....

Tips on Filling your Vehicles...

This is a Message received from a friend:

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.
    Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
    One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.
    ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
    In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
    ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
    Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
    ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
    Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.
    DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET’S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent information, sarna_blr! Even here in U.S., the gas prices are going up (MI average is around $3.4 a gallon now and expected to reach $4 in summer) and any step in conservation is worth it.

Personally I've found that running in "cruise" increases the mileage by 10% (probably due to my otherwise rash driving style) and there's another advantage in "cruise" - one doesn't risk going overspeed unknowingly (like while on a cell-phone conversation / focussing on the niceties of the song being played etc).

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information, Sarna. Really useful

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.... App_engine and LM....

App_engine.....neenga application engineer'aaaaaaa?
    Seven social sins:
    2.Wealth without work

Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine is short form of "Application Engine", a tool in Peoplesoft konjam "IT"ish'A irukkattumEnnu pOttukkittadhu

Post Thanks / Like
    //
    OK...neengalum Mod'aa...
    //
    Seven social sins:
    2.Wealth without work

Post Thanks / Like
    sarna_blr, please check your PM. Thanks.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine

Personally I've found that running in "cruise" increases the mileage by 10% (probably due to my otherwise rash driving style) and there's another advantage in "cruise" - one doesn't risk going overspeed unknowingly (like while on a cell-phone conversation / focussing on the niceties of the song being played etc).
    Cruise does save gas consumption. But at least in my case, cruise always puts me to sleep. Needless to say, soothing music acts as a catalyst

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine

Cruise does save gas consumption. But at least in my case, cruise always puts me to sleep. Needless to say, soothing music acts as a catalyst
    Appo cruise also has the potential to keep population under control-nu sollunga... :P
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Some discipline helps in saving gas (I'm not talking about walking / cycling instead of car'ring).

Simple things like - taking a few minutes to 'PLAN' before taking the wheels (Something like - "Let me grab milk from meijer on my way to pick the son from basketball instead of two trips", for e.g.)

Also if one has multiple vehicles, drive the most efficient one always unless the other(s) MUST be used. (It's nice to run a van / SUV instead of the tiny compact car, but when only one person is travelling or commuting, it's good to think about 30+ mpg v/s 20- mpg, both from expense and environmental POV)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast