Thread: Selection of partners for marriage...

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Selection of partners for marriage...

There are several issues to be considered...

Consanguineous marriages (marriage between close relatives, such as first cousins): Why do people still do this in India? Do people not realise that this can lead to health problems? Children born to parents who are closely related have a higher risk of birth defects, i.e. they are genetically weaker.

Caste: The practice of marrying within one's own caste also limits the gene pool, again, leading to weaker offspring (although of course, not as bad as consanguineous marriages).

Then there's also the problem of an exploding population - does anyone have any figures for the population of India in 1947? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was something in the region of 380 million. Today, it's over 1 billion - a rise of over 200% in 60 years - that's enormous!!!! What are we going to do about this?
    "The best form is no form." - Bruce Lee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding marriages: technology has so improved as to detect at a very early stage any congenital defect that MAY rarely occur! Union of 2 healthy stock is advisable.
    While overpopulation IS cumbersome, it is also going to be India's stregth, most precious RESOURCE, considering the dwindling population over many parts of the world!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    ...technology has so improved as to detect at a very early stage any congenital defect that MAY rarely occur!
    So are you saying we should continue with the practice of cousin marriages, and if any defects occur, we can scan the pregnant woman and abort the pregnancy? Are you saying we should still insist on continuing the practice of marrying within the same caste?

That's the problem with "old people"!!! <LOL> You don't want to change the customs!!!

And population... well, more people
    more mouths to feed
    there will be competition for resources such as food, water, fuel, etc.
    where there is competition, there will be conflict...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just pointed out many advantages in marrying close relatives while the risk factor is negligible & can be solved. My parents were first cousins. But we don't follow the custom any more. (Why invite unnecssary trouble when it can easily be avoided!) . The custom is still popular among many people.
    Even after all said & done population needs to controlled but not condemned!!!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay PP ma'am. Sorry if I offended you (you've mentioned that your parents were cousins). Well, many of my relatives married their cousins too. It's not that I don't respect them. It's just, I feel we should try and do things differently in future. And sorry about using the wrong emoticon earlier (I used the "" emoticon earlier in my previous post, which seems disrespectful, so I changed it to the more friendly/polite emoticon).

It may seem that I'm an arrogant person, but I'm not! I respect everyone, and I never wish to offend anyone or show disrespect, especially to those who are senior to me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no doubt about your good manners, good understanding & good intentions! You keep alive my hope in the next generation! I wish you all the best in life!