Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.!

. HEALTHY & RICH Thoughts..!!!

Dear Friends,

Most of the GK Messages we know... some others may not know.

And we too would like to refresh and replenish our Knowledge...

... on this vast expanding arena...

.... of FAST ADVANCING Scientific World.

Besides such an approach can direct our Sharp Wisdom...

...towards a HEALTHY MIND... and PROGRESSIVE DIRECTION.!!!

..Is it not.?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    . South Indian Temples.. comparatively much AIRY.!!!

In large Temples in South India.... normally we do not feel much sultry or congested comparatively even during the hot Summer... even in the midst of heavy crowd....

..including the small Store rooms wihout Windows or Ventilators....

...as well as the Sanctum Sanctorum (Garbha-griham)...

...far away from Open spaces of free Wind-flow.

How and Why.?

Dear Friends,

Please speak out your Thoughts...

I will come to reply at last.

Welcome.!!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 'granary of Tamil Nadu',Tajore's Big Temple's store rooms for grains along the outer wall come to my mind immediately.

I feel the building material stone has a special quality of coolness. All public buildings, big, spacious ones like my old college, are big stone buildings too! Even in houses of our ancestors stones had a major share. I fondly remember the stone ledge, a finely chiselled shelf in my grandma's house for keeping water pots, specially, smoothly carved semi-spherical pits on which the pots sit well. I have heard elders explain to me that the stone shelf helps water to remain cool even in the hottest summer. Ingenuous methods when fridge was unknown!

Our ancient architects, artisans who designed & erected those beautiful structures called temples had excellent, incomparable, engineering skills, knew aesthetics, symmetry, acoustics, wind flow & every other detail connected with architecture. Temples were not only places for worship but communal, social, educational, entertaiment centres too, all wound in one package. A place where people converged. Mathematical precision vied with poetic imagination seen in the sculptures.

Waiting for interesting, illuminating explanations from a veteran!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

Good thread to start. I'd like to solicit help from those in the know, here.

Would anyone know of a particular website on the topic of "how the Brits. spread their language to the rest of the world." Of course, we all know it was through colonisation. But of particular interest is the ramification of how they stamped their language to the point of usurping the native languages, to the point of becoming the World's No 1 lingua franca. A feat which other colonisers hadn't been quite as successful. Or am I wrong?

I'd welcome your 2 sen's worth on this topic.
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    No other colonising country succeeded so extensively for so long. So English prevailed out of sheer necessity for communication. A basic superiority trait also must have helped to overpower its undeerlings which we were shamelessly for centuries, looking upon the white man as a saviour, redeemer, wellwisher & what not. We lapped up the language out of compulsion & admiration!!! Now it is an undoubted tool of convenience & facility.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truly a complex language which breaks its own grammar rules!Without a context, the language gives a whole new meaning!! Despite all hardship not to mention the tag of the coloniser, we do indeed lap it up. Without the sanctification of having learned and mastered the language, one is not even considered as being genuinely educated!

Wouldn't you all agree?
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Shamefully, yes!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen
    Without the sanctification of having learned and mastered the language, one is not even considered as being genuinely educated!

Wouldn't you all agree?

I feel the scenario is DEFINITELY changing.
    People have started treating english AS JUST MEANS OF COMMUNICATION. Gone are the days when ENGLISH was synonymously associated with KNOWLEDGE.

Another welcoming change is PEOPLE ARE TAKING PRIDE in talking their own tongue.

The change is mildly visible, but definitely getting bigger and making a marking effect.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    <Moved>

Post Thanks / Like
    . What is going on here now.?... GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.?

My Dear Friends,

While I thank you all and appreciate your curiosity for exchange of Knowledge...

I am sorry and much UPSET to find all of you my dear Friends.. have transgressed the bounds and relevance to this Thread Topic GK.

Thus, I am sorry to say... You all are factually... OBSTRUCTING the due and APTLY RELEVANT discussion...

... on the Topic INTENDED.

Is this current Trend dragged towards a Language... is considered GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.?

What is the purview of General Knowledge?

If I am correct... the GK means the Elementary Knowledge required for any Commonman...

..irrespective of Career, Education, Professional background and all other aspects of different purviews in Life involved.

Such a specific purview under GK... covers the RUDIMENTARY ANSWERS... on various subjects

...to appease the Hunger of Curiosity for any COMMONMAN.

So to say Scientific answers based on Reasoning.

Does English Language History, Culture and such other backgrounds involved...

...fall under General Knowledge.? Can we say that such discussion is necessary for even an illiterate on basic life.?

If that be so... all the subjects under this Forum fall under GK.?

Anyhow.. for your convenience... I have opened a new Thread as below. Please continue your discussions there.

I too will join with you there on the Topic on English...

...furnishing several interesting messages and hidden truth behind.

Thus we can ensure discussions parallelly alongside this Thread on GK.

Welcome my dear Friends.!!!

.ENGLISH Language.. PREDOMINANT. !!. How.?. Why.?
    http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=11325

PLEASE ALLOW us to discuss on GENERAL KNOWLEDGE only here.

Dear MODERATORS,

Please transfer the above irrelevant parts of this Thread... to the relevant Thread on English Language issue

Affectionately, With Best Wishes,
    Sudhaama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast