Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jane Austen

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

bookworm (@ 164.*) on: Mon Jan 8 11:08:46 EST 2001

Thank you all for your views.

I had read Northanger Abbey a few months back. The first part was highly interesting. Jane Austen wrote then novel to mock at the then prevailing craze over Gothic fiction - of the type written by Scott. The typical Austen humor which finds the greatest expression in the subtle remarks of Elizabeth in P & P, runs at full vigour in this novel as well. The discussion between Henry Tilney and Catherine Morland(the heroine if the novel) reflect Jane at her best in the novel.

However, once the story reaches the point when Catherine Morland visits the Abbey, it loses its charm and continuity. Inexplicable events take place, as when the General throws her out of the house without any reason whatsoever. The story ends much too fast, almost as if the authoress lost interest in the middle, and wanted to finish it off quickly.

Overall, I'd rate it a work in quality quite below P & P and Emma. Please comment on my views.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Vinay (@ 130.*) on: Sat Feb 3 18:19:03

Hi all,

I have been a fan of Jane Austen ever since my school days when I first read an abridged version of Pride & Prejudice, I read the complete version of it again and again...It's written with such a great taste of romance(love), marriage, life and a good sense of humour that the characters in the novel never die in your memory...Most of all, I like the conversations in the novel, especially the ones between Darcy & Elizabeth and Elizabeth & Jane...Equally good are the settings of the story and ofcourse one can't appreciate enough, the subtleness of the feelings of love that Darcy and Elizabeth develop for each other gradually (well, not exactly gradually but it seems so!)...I saw a movie version of P & P, it was good though not as good as the novel...I read Emma, it was also a masterpiece...I didn't read Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey or any of her other novels! which is the best among them?

Post Thanks / Like

sindhu (@ 210-*) on: Wed Sep 18 05:55:06

sorry emma is such a horrible book. i can't believe there are people who enjoy such dry topics and writing. get a life

Post Thanks / Like

fridge (@ netc*) on: Wed Sep 18 07:25:17

I enjoy Jane Austen Novels, I thoroughly enjoyed the film Sense and Sensebility with Emma Thompson in it, Can someone please confirm if "'kandukondein" is a Tamil version,

Sindhu
    Emma is also out in a movie, I thought the inclusion of many diff types of men and woman in the movie was excellent, You get the Emotional, levelheaded, the vain, the secretive and the talkative. Then you you see the diff types of men, the lovalble, the vain, the spineless, the jolly and the player. The diff classes and the way they work is upseting yet amusing, All these types of woman and men are present even in todays societies, and you realise with its tragedy's life is sometimes such a Comedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Vani (@ cpe0*) on: Tue Nov 12 22:26:38

Yes, Pride and Prejudice is an old favourite of mine as well. BBC came out with the movie version starring Colin Forsythe(?) or Colin something,(it was fairly good) but I prefer the older version starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson... somehow. Ofcourse nothing compares with the actual reading of the novel and Jane Austen literally brings excitement and life in small town England...

Post Thanks / Like

G (@ kala*) on: Thu Nov 14 08:39:55

Post Thanks / Like

Sureya (@ cach*) on: Mon Dec 9 16:04:10

Erm..hi everyone,
    I'm not sure I'm in the right place at all, but I really really need to know..if..erm..well, do any of you know a Dr.Chatterjee and is there any possible way in which I can get in touch with the subject mentioned?
    anyway, back on track, yes jane Austen does write pretty well, I also read P&P and loved it! It really captures your mind in this..sort of twisted road to love...like, darcy and miss bennet are such contradictory characters!!

Post Thanks / Like

BRENDA (@ 202.*) on: Tue Jan 7 22:01:00

CHARLES DIKENS

Post Thanks / Like

Sweetie (@ webc*) on: Sun Jan 12 08:05:26

I love Sense and Sensibility and yes, K & K is a tamil version of it, though I prefer the original book.

Post Thanks / Like

Vasudha (@ ) on: Wed Jan 21 15:04:55

Dear Bookworm,

I think that Jane Austen is one of the best writers in English Literature. What I admire about the book is the manner in which she chooses to analyze , and present, the intricacies of the characters of the people in such a small circle- it's just family and friends- and very ordinary happenings. Actually, when Charlotte Bronte read the book, she said that She didn;t like Jane Austen's prim and proper characters, who rode, in their chaises, to and from parties- she preferred the wildness of the moors and passion to 'cultivated gardens.' Who would really want to meet and live with Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights? Give me Elizabeth Bennet anyday!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast