Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: R.K. Narayan

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Narayanan.R (@ 203.*) on: Fri Jun 29 01:59:15

I read R.K.Narayan's first novel Swami and Friends.It moved me.I have started collecting his novels and mobilising it to my friends too.
    Though he had passed away,his writing will never die.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Anu (@ acba*) on: Thu Jul 26 00:10:21

Hi !
    I happened to lay my hands on one of R.K.Narayan's books....Bachelor of Arts. I have a question for those who read that book.
    How did you interpret the last chapter where Chandran leaves town to see his wife?
    Is it as simple as it's said or does the writer leave it to the reader to come up with his/her own analysis?

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ 134-*) on: Sun Aug 5 20:45:14

I read that at the time RKN began to write he lost his daughter to sickness and was heart-broken. I feel his work is tinged with this grief.

Post Thanks / Like

lollu (@ 203.*) on: Sun Aug 5 21:16:35

he was a south indian brahmin.so madurai veeran and his tribe in this forum will never accept that he was great.

Post Thanks / Like

MJ (@ ess-*) on: Wed Aug 8 20:28:22

While novels like Swami & Friends, The Guide and others are excellant, my favourites are definitely his essays - Dateless Diary, Writer's Nightmare etc.

Post Thanks / Like

maha (@ 212.*) on: Mon Aug 20 02:27:46

I am very weak in maths, but very proficient in english. It was Rk narayans stories i read in my school days that taught me that English lit. is a mirror of life. i use to compare myself with silly & mischievious boy(swami)in most his stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Venki (@ news*) on: Thu Aug 23 09:52:37

V.S.Naipaul's tribute to R.K.Narayan.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/news/p...8162%2C00.html

Post Thanks / Like

g mauruthi (@ 203.*) on: Thu Aug 23 23:38:45

My fav is RKN. You almost live and walk along the Banks of Sarayu when u read his work. I like Vasu of "The Man Eater of Malgudi" very much - the comical villian.

I wish I can take a stroll down Kabir Lane or sit in the parapet of the fountain in the after noon with ppl from Malgudi.

Oh AHa.... ! What excitement >..!

Post Thanks / Like

Sandhya Sundaresan (@ dewe*) on: Tue Aug 28 13:09:57

It is ironic that I just learned about RK Narayan's death, considering that he is one of my favorite Indian authors and that I just finished reading his autobiography "My Days".

For a man who wrote (and how unassumingly!) about small, pedestrian lives in a little, fictional town in a little India, he was a truly great man indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

anu (@ 203.*) on: Mon Sep 3 08:46:58

Yes, one of the great contributions of India to English literature. A most remarkable characteristic in his writings is the ease in which he tells the stories..so different from the laboured style of Indo anglican writers. Three of his outstanding works imo are Malgudi Days, The English Teacher and The Bachelor of Arts. Especially the poignant way in which the passing away of the teacher's wife is depicted never fails to draw tears from my eyes every time I read it. In contrast, the description of the restlesness of chandran before his marriage(in Bachelor of Arts) show how beautiful and light hearted RKN's humor can be. There are several instances in Swami too which bring out a smile in us - the so typical light humor that is so rarely found in english lit. Indeed his passing away is a great loss to Indian writing in english.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast