Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arundathi Roy

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

MJ (@ ess-*) on: Wed Aug 8 20:49:45

Arvind,yes I agree with you regarding the portrayal of Indians to overseas audiences - many writers pick on those aspects of Indian tradition that are suited for sensationalism. And regarding Arudhati Roy's references to sex in her writing - it is disgusting - her article on The Bandit Queen for example - she accuses the film-maker of focussing on the sexual aspects of P.Devi's life and in the process, strews her own article with explicit sexual references. So she ended up using the same tool as the film maker for drmatic effect !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

sandihya (@ 202.*) on: Tue Sep 4 08:48:58

There's another writer from Kerala who writes about the royal Varma family. He himself belongs to the same lineage. The name of the book is LAMENT OF THE MOHINI. I don't think it was written to create a sensation but an artist finds it compelling to present his feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

sandihya (@ 202.*) on: Tue Sep 4 08:51:02

This thread was started by me and i used to fell bad that nobody discusses but now after a long time when I strayed here I was happy to find so many people discussing it

Post Thanks / Like

yamuna sharmili peter (@ ptl-*) on: Thu Oct 25 23:24:54

beautiful novel...i read it three times. Should be made into amovie..and hope that she will come up something else like this one

Post Thanks / Like

stg (@ lan-*) on: Fri Nov 2 16:27:31

Hi Sandhya(or is it sandihya?!)

Yeah I read somebody expressing interest on AR s journalistic works.She is a regular contributor to Guardian and her articles are published in their website (www.guardian.co.uk).Now that the interest on GOST seems to have waned ; we can probably dissect her articles.
    Could you plz mention who is the author you referred to - verma - and what context you had in mind?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Vas (@ 203-*) on: Thu Nov 8 05:47:46

Arundathi Roy is a very good auother but lacks the sympathetic depth that is required in pursuing lofty civic goals. I have lately come across statements by her that the media tend to pick up (this may not be Roy's intended affect at all..) that sounds more like self agrandizement.

She was talking with Naom Chomsky and stated that there was nothing wrong with wearing them as she herself indulged in them.

Roy, as buitiful as you really are, with or without those colorful bangles, those bangles cannot be brought into the same subject header as the Afghanistan war and the iniquities of Western Imperial Power!

I remain an ardent admirer of your books and yes, your bangles.

Post Thanks / Like

S.Jeyasankar (@ 203.*) on: Wed Nov 21 02:14:10

The role of a writer in the contemporary world is entirely different.He/She must be an activist.The part played by Arundhati on the contemporary issues are thougt provoking.I think it is better to discuss on that aspect.
    jeyasankar

Post Thanks / Like

anam (@ ) on: Sat Jun 22 11:59:28

this s a really breathtakingly interesting book.all realities r reaveled lightly and boldly which s rare in case of sub continent women writers.

Post Thanks / Like

Aquapay Elizabeth Ashley; Atlanta, Georgia, USA (@ 16.a*) on

I do not know much about AR. However I caught part of an interview with her on PBS's show called NOW. I was very intrigued and impressed that views such as these are being aired on public television. As an African-American woman with Native American Indian and African American slave roots who is a practicing Muslim in America I can definitely relate to many of her views. I really appreciate that there are Hindu's from India in this world who care to share such opinions with the rest of the world. I believe that her views are ones that the world needs to be exposed to so that we may be challenged intellectually and spiritually. Regardless of any human imperfections that any choose to voice about her I am happy that she is being heard. Thank you AR for speaking up for those who are not heard. Thank you for trying to bring the world closer together.

Post Thanks / Like

Aquapay Elizabeth Ashley; Atlanta, Georgia, USA (@ 16.a*) on

I do not know much about AR. However I caught part of an interview with her on PBS's show called NOW. I was very intrigued and impressed that views such as these are being aired on public television. As an African-American woman with Native American Indian and African American slave roots who is a practicing Muslim in America I can definitely relate to many of her views. I really appreciate that there are Hindu's from India in this world who care to share such opinions with the rest of the world. I believe that her views are ones that the world needs to be exposed to so that we may be challenged intellectually and spiritually. Regardless of any human imperfections that any choose to voice about her I am happy that she is being heard. Thank you AR for speaking up for those who are not heard. Thank you for trying to bring the world closer together.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast