Page 65 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan - Part 4

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the photos taken yesterday in front of the theatre. Photos are slightly dark. We are also trying to upload a video of the same.

[html:70765c59a7]

[/html:70765c59a7]

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...m/Image026.jpg

Here is the video

Regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murali sir, asathiteenga...
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber RAGHAVENDRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vasantha Maaligai at Star

Dear Murali,
    Thank you for the video and snaps. You have made me feel present at the Star Theatre. Nan angu pogaadha kuraiyai pOkki vitteergaL. Nandri.
    http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/beeveeyaar/
    Your snaps have slightly been improved and posted at the above link.
    Thank you very much once again,
    Sincerely,
    RAghavendran.
    விமர்சனங்களுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்ட இறைவன் நடிகர் திலகம்.. கடலின் ஆழத்தை அளந்து விடலாம். நடிகர் திலகத்தின் செல்வாக்கை அளக்க முடியாது... அது பயனளிக்கும் போது தான் அதன் ஆழம் புரியும்....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    டியர் ராகவேந்திரன்,

எனது 'ராஜபார்ட் ரங்கதுரை' பதிவுக்கு தாங்கள் அளித்துள்ள பதில் என்னையும் பரவசப்படுத்தியது. நம்மைப்போன்ற பல ரசிகர்களை அக்கால நினைவுகளுக்கு கொண்டு சென்ற 'சன்' தொலைக்காட்சிக்கும், அப்படம் தொடர்பான பலவேறு நினவலைகளை உசுப்பி விட்ட அனைவருக்கும் நமது நன்றி.

டியர் முரளி & மோகன்,

'வசந்தமாளிகை' படத்துக்கான ஸ்டார் திரையரங்க நிகழ்வுகளை பகிர்ந்துகொண்டமைக்கு மிக்க நன்றி. அதற்கு மெருகூட்டும் விதமாக முரளி அவர்கள் தந்துள்ள போட்டோ மற்றும் வீடியோ காட்சிகளுக்கு கூடுதல் நன்றி. ஏற்கெனவே இருந்த 'அந்தமான் காதலி' (மதுரை சென்ட்ரல்) காட்சிகளோடு இவையும் பதிவில் இடம் பெற்றுவிட்டன.

டியர் tacinema,

நீண்ட நாட்களுக்குப்பின் தலைகாட்டியிருக்கிறீர்கள். வருக...!.
    மீண்டும் காணாமல் போய்விடாமல் தொடர்ந்து வாருங்கள்.

Post Thanks / Like
    [tscii]
    PAASA MALAR

Rajamani Pictures – Released in 1961.

Produced by M.R. Santhanam (Actor, director Santanabharathy’s father. He also plays Thangavelu’s father-in-law character in the film) & K.Mohan (Mohan Arts – a famous cine banner artist company)
    Story : Kottarakkara ; Cinematography : G. Vittal Rao
    Dialogues : Aroordas
    Music : Viswanathan & Ramamurthy
    Playback singers : T.M. Sounderarajan, P. Susheela, P.B. Srinivas, Jamuna Rani & L.R.Eswari

Screenplay – Direction : A. Bhimsingh

CAST :

Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan, Nadigayar Thilagam Savithri, Gemini Ganesh, M.N. Nambiar, K.A. Thangavelu, M.N. Rajam, B.Saroja, P.S. Gnyanam & others

[html:507fcb69e9]

[/html:507fcb69e9]

First of all I don’t know from where I got the guts to even start to write about this great classic. Many of my senior hubbers here possess great knowledge about NT & this film whereas I start to write about this film just for one reason – I LOVE THIS FILM and I wanted to share it with everybody. So, if you find any mistakes (obviously you would find many) please forgive me and don’t hesitate to highlight the same.

BRIEF STATISTICS ABOUT NT WITH REGARDS TO THIS FILM : NT was born in 1928. So, he was just 33 years old during the release of Paasa Malar !!!. But amazingly, it was is 69th film !!! (Parasakthi was released in 1951) ; 68 films in just 9 years !!! The role of Rajasekar demands abundant acting skills. Fortunately, it fell into the golden hands of a young & talented Sivaji Ganesan, and the rest is history.

MY EXPERIENCE : Recently also saw it in DVD for the nth time and it never failed to induce the same magic as it would do for every viewing. First time I saw it in theatre (re-release, of course) when I was in my early twenties. I was cautioned by some well wishers !!! that it’s an அழுமூஞ்சி film, and that the audience come out of theatre with a wet hand kerchief. But, ignoring those scare mongers, I went on to watch the film, purely because of my penchant for black & white film, especially that of NT’s. I was contented with the film, though I failed to notice the nuances. But upon repeated viewing over the years, I will confidantly proclaim that Paasa Malar is on of THE BEST tamil films ever made. It’s a master-piece, a classic, a cult film….and what not ???

STORY : The story, which is neatly woven with all the required emotional intricacies, is about a brother & sister who lived and sacrificed their lives for each other. This significant factor is well established in the very beginning itself by showing a statuette of a boy affectionately hugging his sister in his arms. The children, Raju & Radha played (lived, to be precise) by two great actors, Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan & Nadigayar Thilagam Savithri become orphans after losing their mother. After they grow, Raju becomes a worker in a mill and his sister helps him at home and they live happily. One day, Anandan (played by Gemini Ganesan), also working in the same mill, saves Radha from a mishap. This largely impresses Raju and they both become good friends. Meanwhile, Anandan is attracted towards Radha and also manages to win her heart. Anandan is a self-made person and can never take things for granted when it comes to his self-respect. He sort of carry revolutionary ideas laced with communism, whereas, Raju is more self-centered and lives only for the welfare of his sister. Though they are poles apart in their ideologies, they remain to be good friends.

At one point of time, Anandan, who lives with his aunt & her son Chengalvarayan (played by K.A. Thangavelu), leaves the town to attend a family litigation. During this short period Raju & Radha become rich. Yes, the mill owner, who is very much impressed by Raju’s diligence & sincerity, requests him to take over his mill. Though, initially Raju hesitates later gets ready for the challenge and through his commendable hard-working nature increased the profit column in his balance sheet.

When Anandan returns, he feels happy for his friend and goes to meet him in his office and asks for a job in the same mill. Raju is hesitant for a while (in,fact he doesn’t like this proposal at all) but concedes to Anand’s obligation later.

After a series of events, Anandan weds Radha with everybody’s consent & Raju gets married to Nambiar’s sister M.N.Rajam. Anand comes to live in Raju’s house alongwith his aunt & cousin, as requested by Raju. Now, fate plays spoil sport in the form of Aandan’s “athai”. This old lady, (excellent portrayal by Smt.P.S.Gnyanam – no way she would have escaped from the wrath of each & every audience in those days) always sounds scornful & obnoxious. She cunningly hatches a series of plots against Raju & Radha and is a major source to cause a big rift between the two. She succeeds in her evil deeds and separate the families. Unknowingly, Anandan becomes a scapegoat for all her actions.

Meanwhile, Raju is gifted with a boy & Radha, with a girl. Raju’s wife leaves abroad to continue her higher studies. Living without his sister causes great pain to Raju, so he transfers his entire property and without a word to anyone, leaves for pilgrimage with his son and a loyal servant. Upon knowing this, Radha too falls in deep despair.

After a few years, Raju returns completely shattered both physically & morally. Unfortunately he meets with a fire accident in the process of saving a child, who incidentally happened to be his sister’s daughter. Raju loses his eyesight. When Raju & Radha meet finally, the restrained love and affection that has been suppressed for all these years, gushes out.

Now comes one of the most moving and emotional climax tamil film has ever seen. Every aspect like performance, dialogues, music & direction will be appropriately blended in a fine manner.

As the two noble souls exhange their love and affection for each other, Raju, in a moment of frenzy, gets up and jumps in joy. As he is already in a battered form, this over-excitement of his, results in a series of strong convulsions and the great man falls down leaving his last breath. Radha is shell shocked after seeing her loving brother falling dead in front of her eyes, also falls by his side and follows him to heaven.

DIALOGUES : Dialogues by Aroordas played a very significant role in this film and is truly praiseworthy. Not pure Senthamizh dialogues, just simple, yet powerful ones that penetrates deep into your hearts, builds a throne, and sits there majestically. Especially the one’s which comes in the climax – even the most stone hearted person can’t help but break down. To savour a few of them….

எத்தனையோ வீட்ல விளக்கேத்திவச்ச உங்களுக்கா இந்த உலகம இருட்டாயிடுச்சி. அண்ணா வைரம் போல ஜொலிச்சு விரோதியையும் வசீகரிக்கக் கூடிய உங்க கண்ணு எங்கே நீங்க மௌணமா இருந்தாலும் ஆயிரமாயிரம அன்புக் கதைகளை எனக்குச் சொல்லுமே அந்த அழகுக் கண்கள் எங்கேண்ணா..

உன்னையும் என்னையும் எந்த விதி பிரிச்சுதோ அதே விதிதாம்மா என் கண்ணையும் பரிச்சுது.

..அப்போ உனக்கு ஒரு வயசு, சின்னக் குழந்த, எனக்கு பத்து வயசு. நீ அழுதுகிட்டே இருப்ப, உன்ன என் மடியிலேயே உக்கார வச்சிகிட்டு கைவீசம்மா கைவீசு, கடைக்கி போகலாம் கைவீசு முட்டாய் வாங்கலாம கைவீசு.

உன் பேர் என்னம்மா, சாந்தி - வாழ்க்கையில எனக்கு கிடைக்காதத உங்கம்மா உனக்கு பேரா வெச்சிருக்காளா

My eyes are filled with tears even as I write this…I’ve even heard that the cameraman, while shooting the climax, dropped the camera and broke down after watching the splendid performance by both the NT’s.

SONGS :

1) Anbu malar, aasai malar : A short song during the title which helps you to prepare yourself for the journey

2) Malargalaippol thangai : Evergreen classic.

3) Engalukkum kaalam varum

4) Yaar yaar yaar aval yaaro

5) Paattondru kaetten

6) Vaarayen thozhi :

7) Mayangugiraal oru maadhu

8) Malarndhum malaraadha : I feel a lump in my throat even as I just utter the first few lines of this song……” Siragil enai moodi arumai magal pola valartha kadhai sollava, kanavil ninayadha kaalam idai vandhu piritha kadhai sollava…..” (VR, Susheela amma, Kaviyarasar & NT Savithri amma – just no words to explain my feelings…)
    “ Kannin mani pola maniyin nizhal pola kalandhu thirindhomada, indha mannum kadal vaanum vandhu maraithalum pirikka mudiyaadhada..”

SCENES THAT DESERVE SPECIAL MENTION : I might have missed out many other great scenes, but giving a few that warrants special mention.

1) The scene where Anandan alongwith a few workers, confronts with Raju in his cabin. The way in which Raju deftly ignores Anandan & his team is a treat to watch. NT at his best.
    2) Anandan comes to greet Radha on her birthday and is caught by Raju. The wordy dual flames up and ends up in an exchange of blows in a closed room. One terrific scene indeed, where you can find a raging NT losing his temper and at the same time maintaining his status as well.
    3) The garden scene, where NT happens to over hear the conversation between Gemini & Savithri
    4) The scene where Nambiar objects NT for giving away his entire property to his sister. In split seconds his facial expressions will change and shoot at Nambiar saying, “ Mr Bhaskar, idhu en soththu vishayam sondha vishayam….” Class.
    5) My favourite climax scene. Just see it, to get dissolved in it.

To conclude, let me say PAASA MALAR is a rare gem in the crown of Tamil Cinema.

In the process of glorifying the film, I have made it as a very lengthy post. Thanks for one and all who have read this patiently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Nov,

Thank you so much for the great still.

Cover-a paathu book vangina neraya per emandhu povanga. In that way people will start reading my post by looking at the attractive poster. Eppadi react panna porangalo......

Anyway, thank you once again NOV....

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mohan,

Normally I don't use emoticons. In fact I never use them. But here I want to use it. It is for the way you have written. You have done it from the bottom of your heart. Your emotions are very much evident in your words. For that my revert is

Keep it coming.

Regards

PS: Ithukkuthaan nethu NT vayasu, date of birth, Paasamalar date of release ellam confirm pannengala?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    rangan,

thanks for the lovely post.

my 2 cents on paasamalar

1. ONE greatest PLUS was
    shivaji

2. one more plus savithri

nothing else I felt was special in that movie.

Shivaji ROCKED all thro the movie I loved lots of scenes including the garden scene.

What I did not digest was IMPRACTICABLE love between sis and bro. It overrides any other passion or love. I mean ONCE u marry off ur sister, atleast in olden days, where joint family system prevailed, its better off to keep a distance and shower MORE LOVE. I felt technically those 2 characters lacked reality.

simply in 2 words, I COULD NOT AGREE with bookish characters LIKE THOSE 2.

( May be because I FAIL to believe in such love, esp between sister and brother, god did not bless me with any elder brother )

and oh ...THE SONGS...

கண்ணின் மணி போல மணியின் நிழல் போல
    கலந்து பிறந்தோமடா!!!!
    இந்த மண்ணும் கடல் வானும் மறைந்து முடிந்தாலும்

I am waiting for bricks and canes for my critical view

I should say paasa malar makes me cry though I dont approve of those characters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Dear Mohan,

Normally I don't use emoticons. In fact I never use them. But here I want to use it. It is for the way you have written. You have done it from the bottom of your heart. Your emotions are very much evident in your words. For that my revert is

Keep it coming.

Regards

PS: Ithukkuthaan nethu NT vayasu, date of birth, Paasamalar date of release ellam confirm pannengala?
    Adhe adhe....

Thank you so much Murali sir for the kind words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    rangan,

thanks for the lovely post.

my 2 cents on paasamalar

1. ONE greatest PLUS was
    shivaji

2. one more plus savithri

nothing else I felt was special in that movie.

Shivaji ROCKED all thro the movie I loved lots of scenes including the garden scene.

What I did not digest was IMPRACTICABLE love between sis and bro. It overrides any other passion or love. I mean ONCE u marry off ur sister, atleast in olden days, where joint family system prevailed, its better off to keep a distance and shower MORE LOVE. I felt technically those 2 characters lacked reality.

simply in 2 words, I COULD NOT AGREE with bookish characters LIKE THOSE 2.

( May be because I FAIL to believe in such love, esp between sister and brother, god did not bless me with any elder brother )

and oh ...THE SONGS...

கண்ணின் மணி போல மணியின் நிழல் போல
    கலந்து பிறந்தோமடா!!!!
    இந்த மண்ணும் கடல் வானும் மறைந்து முடிந்தாலும்

I am waiting for bricks and canes for my critical view

I should say paasa malar makes me cry though I dont approve of those characters.
    Thanks for the appreciation SP. Maybe, your'e right in your own way. Had the children lived with their parents, the abundant love between them would not have been possible. As seen in my post, that's why in the beging itself, they show a boy affectionately hugging is sis. And that affection continues till the end and makes them inseparable.