View Poll Results: Which film should have won best picture?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tautly written legal drama, Michael Clayton

1 11.11%
  • Paul W Anderson's character drama, There will be blood?

2 22.22%
  • Coen's truly original western/American epic, No country for old men

5 55.56%
  • A wannabe clever comedy named JUNO

1 11.11%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy awards, Cannes, Sundance, etc...(Any Film festival)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buuut..... (see news before this page)

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...=nytimesmovies

Godard Watch Ends: Director Won’t Attend Honorary Oscars Ceremony
    By DAVE ITZKOFF

In a chaotic universe where all empirical stimuli is subjectively interpreted by imperfect observers, who is to say what does or does not happen? Jean-Luc Godard, for one: Mr. Godard, 79, the irascible filmmaker and a pioneer of the French New Wave movement, will definitely not be attending a special Oscars ceremony on Nov. 13 to pick up an honorary Academy Award, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said on Monday.

The question about Mr. Godard’s attendance at the Governors Awards has been an open one since the summer, when the academy said it would present honorary Oscars to Mr. Godard, the actor Eli Wallach, the film preservationist Kevin Brownlow and the director Francis Ford Coppola, who is receiving the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award.

At the time, Anne-Marie Miéville, Mr. Godard’s wife and collaborator, said her husband was put off by the fact that the award was being given out at an event held months before the Oscars ceremony. Ms. Miéville said: “He’s getting old for that kind of thing. Would you go all that way just for a bit of metal?” Shortly thereafter, the academy said it had received a handwritten note from Mr. Godard indicating he might make the trip after all.

Well, the academy can cancel that hotel reservation and take the Champagne off the ice. In a statement, the organization said that “following a two-month-long cordial exchange of correspondence with academy president Tom Sherak,” Mr. Godard would not be attending the ceremony.

The statement added that the Governors Awards will still pay tribute to Mr. Godard “through film clips and commentary by his admirers,” and the academy will arrange for Mr. Godard’s Oscar statuette to be sent to him in Switzerland.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b197087_early_oscars_going_coppola_godard.html?utm _source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=i mdb_tv-movies

Early Oscars Going to Coppola, Godard, Wallach

The outsiders are now the insiders.

Legendary Hollywood rebel Francis Ford Coppola, cinematic provocateur Jean-Luc Godard and veteran character actor Eli Wallach have been tapped to receive this year's Governor's Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the folks behind the Oscars.

Coppola, a five-time Oscar winner already, will receive the Academy's prestigious Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for his five-decade career as a director, producer and writer of such classics as The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation and The Outsiders.

Godard will be honored with a Governor's Award for an incredible body of work, beginning with 1960's Breathless, which launched the French New Wave movement via its innovative use of jump cuts and continuity breaks, which influenced the likes of Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh and Quentin Tarantino. Other gems in the Godard canon include A Woman Is a Woman, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, Masculine: Feminine and Alphaville.

While he might best be known for his role opposite Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Wallach's work has been anything but ugly. His Governor's Award honors a career dates back to the '50s and includes such classics as The Magnificent Seven, The Misfits and Lord Jim. At the age of 94, he continues to work, most recently in Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer and Oliver Stone's forthcoming Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

Film historian Kevin Brownlow will also be given a statuette for his scholarly efforts when the Academy's second annual Governor's Awards dinner is held on Nov. 13.

Congrats, guys!
    liked his role in Wall street....
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Globes for this year:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028986?refcatid=13

Predictions?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No nomination for Peepli live (or was it Udhaan?)

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
    Biutiful
    The Concert
    The Edge
    I am Love
    In a Better World

Pity Biutiful is foreign or Javier Bardem would smoke all the contenders for best actor (based on the reviews he got from Cannes)

Have to check out "The Fighter", apparently it's like the Raging bull meets Rocky.

Overwhelmingly positive vibes about Swan. Should win best actress..
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Johnny Depp

True Grit got no nom.. Good news..

Post Thanks / Like
    Apart from Rahman, will look out for two other favorites, Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Who both continue to act in these nice Indie films (Half Nelson and Wendy & Lucy are two such films). Now together they bring to our notice another unknown gem (or so I hope) in 'Blue Valentine'.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best Picture - Black Swan (havent seen but Kaanfidant)
    Actress - Natalie for sure. Btw I have seen Winter's bone and the lead was very impressive. But the film was a maha mokkai.
    Actor - Franco? Very worst performances this year I thing.
    Animated Feature - TS3.
    Director - Nolan or Fincher
    Screenplay - Ditto
    Original Score - Zimmer will win I think. Purely based on law of averages. Havent seen / listened to 127 hours.
    TV Series - Big Bang theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Winter's bone, The kids are alright - two indie films I looked to download but couldn't find DVDRIP. Now the screener shoudl be out.

Boardwalk Empire should sweep TV awards

THe king's speech *ing Colin Firth - big-budget british film. This will be added to the queue. The snapshots seem quite interesting.

It's the award season folks. Find the cookie admidst the turkeys!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its gonna be Zimmer Vs ARR Vs composer of TSN
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Original Score - Zimmer will win I think. Purely based on law of averages. Havent seen / listened to 127 hours.
    I'm toning down my expectations too as I'm not sure if they would award someone twice in a row

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast