Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Devotional songs by PS.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Devotional songs by PS.

Topic started by AVR (@ 203.197.81.131) on Sat Feb 2 08:00:52 EST 2002.

PS has according to me a voice that is spiritually very uplifting and soothing. I wish to know more about her devotional songs. Apart from a few albums like her krishna Ganam for Ms Viswanathan, I wish to listen to more such stuff sung by her. Also I am searching for her album (devotional) with Balamuralikrishna.

I would request all participants of this thread to post links to the songs they discuss.

Thanks a lot,
    AVR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Karthi (@ 65.1*) on: Sat Feb 2 10:57:17 EST 2002

avr,

I have a superb collection of telugu songs by PS on Lord Shiva - these will not make one cry but it will fill your heart with joy. All the songs are set in a very comfortable pitch so that she could render them effortlessly PLUS

some of her more popular songs on Goddess Saraswathi which I recorded from an HMV's special release 'Maanikka Veenai'. These have songs like 'Kaatchi Thandu', 'Kalai Vaani Nin Karunai', 'Kondai Mudi' etc apart from the title song.

Also, I have a tamil album by PS and TMS covering the Sivath ThiruththalangaL - but the recording of this is not so good in the sense, the speed is a little too high and hence irritating to the ears - PLUS

a few other popular songs of PS like 'Thavam Irundhaalum Kidaikkaadhadhu Nimmadhi', 'Vaigaraip Pozhudhil VizhiththEn' and 'Karumaari Un PadamE'. These 3 are among her best.

Do send me your address, so I can send the cassettes.

Post Thanks / Like

avr (@ 203.*) on: Sat Feb 2 11:30:00 EST 2002

no karthi - i live in india, if u are living in India its fine but otherwise i guess its too much.

if u have links i wll be grateful to u. Thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Observer (@ 64.1*) on: Sat Feb 2 13:52:35 EST 2002

AVR, please listen to 'cholla cholla inikkuthadA murugA' from 'kanthan karuNai' for a start, superb singing and a great composition by KVM. All songs from that movie are worth posessing. 'pazhamuthirchOlayilE' from 'Motor Sundaram piLLai', 'rAman eththanai rAmanadi' (movie ???), 'azhagan muruganidam Asai vaiththEn' (panchavarNakkiLi) are just some of the immortal numbers with awesome singing. The same singer sang contrasting numbers like 'azhagu oru rAgam' (padagOtti) and 'ponnazhagu peNNmai' (rickshakkaran), a lesson for lesser mortals.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Observer (@ 64.1*) on: Sat Feb 2 14:06:51 EST 2002

AVR, 'Adi sivan thAzh paNinthu' (with TMS in 'thiruverutchelvar'), 'gOmAthA engaL kulamAthA' (saraswathi sabatham) both by KVM are examples of great singing with well placed, subtle expressions embellishing the tunes further, something that no TFM lady singer (probably barring SJ in some cases) has been able to emulate.

Post Thanks / Like

kik (@ 207.*) on: Sat Feb 2 23:34:50 EST 2002

Mr Observer: subtle expressionkku shanmuga pothaathaa (marainthirunthe paarkkum marmam enna)?

PS has sung a number of tamil devotional albums over the years (seems like she started only in late 60s/70s - anyone heard of older albums?). There are albums titled raamanjali and krishna darisanam which are good. There's a real good one from the early 90s for the temple renovation fund (sangeetha released a series of albums in this series during J's first chief ministership) - has bharathiyar songs, ramalinga swamigal verse etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Karthi (@ 65.1*) on: Sun Feb 3 00:11:08 EST 2002

But Mr.Observer, do all the songs (barring the last two and Pazhamudhir solai which definitely are not) come under devotional songs category? Not completely so, right, even though they are from films based on devotional themes?

Post Thanks / Like

Neel D (@ 24.9*) on: Sun Feb 3 00:54:16 EST 2002

"Jaya Jaya Devi" is an evergreen devotional song by PS. Little girls have been singing that song for ever at Navarathiri kolus.

Post Thanks / Like

AVR (@ 203.*) on: Sun Feb 3 01:17:47 EST 2002

mr observer:

digression -
    thanks for ur site on salil c.I just wanted to discuss about a song with u - could u please send me ur email id again.

Thanks for the recommendtaion of these songs too - i have heard the saraswati sabatham and thirutselvar songs though.

Post Thanks / Like

AVR (@ 203.*) on: Sun Feb 3 01:48:25 EST 2002

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/l/02000F07

songs on krishna, durga,saraswati etc. ALL BY PS.
    And she has given these songs her best.

somewhere someone had told me about a devotional/carnatic album in telugu by PS and M. Balamuralikrishna. Where could i get it (link or online music store.

Dos anybody have a discography of her complete repertoire in devotional songs!!

Many thanks
    AJIT

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast