Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Shankar-Ganesh

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

e.hari (@ abd6*) on: Sun Jul 25 22:53:52 EDT 1999

Ya I think shankar is dead, though I may be wrong. ganesh scores occasional ramanarayan movie, still with the same name

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

NN (@ morr*) on: Mon Jul 26 10:03:03 EDT 1999

mmm, bb you're right. I've seen one new album by SG. The film title is 'Kaanpathil Ellam'.

Post Thanks / Like

Nithin (@ ncco*) on: Wed Nov 24 13:17:17 EST 1999

Thanks for reawakening interests in the really charming melodies of SG in TFM's songs of the month. If not for their not so stylish orchestration, the duo gave really original melodies apart from some adaptations of Hindi songs.

Post Thanks / Like

sinnathamby.s (@ webc*) on: Thu Dec 23 20:18:21 EST 1999

Shankar-Ganesh brought a new dimension to background scores in Tamil films. Title music and the scores for fight/stunt scenes have always been interesting. For example, in the movie 'Ithaya Veenai', Veenai instrumentation has been used for most of the bg score.

No one can easily forget the great melodious 'Dhevyin Thirumugam, Dharisanam thanthau' from Vellikilamai Viratham that remained in the 'Isai ani thervu'( a sort of top of the pops) hosted by the late DJ K.S.Rajah of Radio Ceylon, in the mid 70's

Post Thanks / Like

sinnathamby.s (@ webc*) on: Thu Dec 23 20:26:35 EST 1999

Could any one suggest where to find S-G songs?

It will be greatly appreciated if any one can tell in which movie the song 'Ennodu vanthaarl Kannodu ninraarl... I guess this a SG song and this appeared in a movie in early 70's, starring Sivakumar, Sripriya, and Kamalahasan ( who plays the role of a dumb young man - this not Uyarnthavargal in which he plays against Sujatha)

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

v. balaji (@ 1cus*) on: Fri Dec 24 13:17:59 EST 1999

I am surprised to see there are some avid fans of SG. They were was the Deva of yesteryears.(See Deva has earned the prestige of a 'Metaphor' just like the term 'Xerox&#39. They used to lift tunes of other MDs. First it was MSV, then some hindi directors (their infamous BGM used to be lifted from famous Hindi Songs) and finally Illayraja. Their tune lifting reached a pinnacle in 'Kanni Paruvathile' where they lifted 'Ucchi Vagundheduthu ...' and tuned it as 'Pattuvanna Rosavam..'.(however considering the current trends in tune liftings by SAR, DEVA and the rest, what SG did seems less troubling)

I am paraphrasing what once Ganagi Amaran answered when asked why his tunes were similar to IRs'. "When those without blood relations (with obvious reference to SG) can copy my brother's songs, why on earth can't I?'

Though their style changed in the end, IMHO treat them as a refined version of Deva.

Balaji

Post Thanks / Like

v. balaji (@ 1cus*) on: Fri Dec 24 13:19:38 EST 1999

Sinnathamby:

I think it is from 'Thankgathile Vairam'
    Balaji

Post Thanks / Like

sinnathamby.s (@ webc*) on: Fri Dec 24 20:35:55 EST 1999

Balaji:

It is an interesting response. Certainly some of SG's music bear resemblance to several top tunes of their time. If you can remember the base guitar beat in 'jilu jilu, gulu gulu, charming beautiful bul bul'[from vellikilamai Viratham]which was later used [recycled]in the title music of another SG/Thevar films movie [Asokan stars in it as a comic-villain: "...maatraan thoddaththu mallikaye vaa vaa.."] is a tune-lifting from a hindi song [ goes like "....hei ootaa..."] which was originally pinched from the title music of the Holywood movie 'Broadway is deadly gold'.

The point is SG might have had inspirations from great melodies of other MDs' compositions or as you put it, tune-lifting. But, one should not be oblivious to the fact that SG has produced several evergreen tunes such as `Dheviyin Thirumugam`, Nee megam aanaal enna..` and so forth.

We see only a few artistes producing their own creations without having the influence of others -shall we call them genius? Even the great maestro Ilayarajah has plagiarised or cleverly adapted several tunes from other sources. Remember the controversy caused by the Radio Ceylon programme 'Mettu onru Pattu pala'[one tune, several songs].

This tune lifitng, I should gently put it, being- inspired-by, goes back to Mozart - Tellemann time: there is a general criticism that they were close rivals, therefore one wanted to outdo the other. And the result was, creation of similar music - but all for great listening pleasure.

In my opinion, it is impossible in creativity, not to have have influenced by other sources. Only a few genius are born in any given time - who could produced inspirational materials. What matters most is appreciating their quality of productivity and enjoying their finest peaces. I have only little doubt if SG has ever made any claim on their authenticity or genius.

Thanks for your other response. But I think the film is not `Thangathile Vairam'. TV is a black and white Sivakumar, Kamalahasan & Sripriya comedy. The one in question is a colour film.

Post Thanks / Like

JN (@ spid*) on: Sat Jan 22 17:35:06 EST 2000

The movie with sivakumar(in a double roll),jayasudha, Sripriya and kamal is pattikaatu raaja.

Post Thanks / Like

S.Sinnathamby (@ webc*) on: Sun Jan 23 16:35:10 EST 2000

JN:

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Sinnathamby-

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast