Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY RELIGION ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

WHY RELIGION ?

By birth most of us adopt one religion.

There are rare cases of someone getting inspired by the best philosophies of another religion & convert

Others convert for the sake of getting married & certain religions impose such conversion for solemnizing the wedding

My question is : WHY RELIGION ?

What does religion give you TODAY ?

IS THERE ANY FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VARIOUS RELIGIONS ?

Today we are in a MATURED SOCIETY .

My way of looking at a religion is :

ALL RELIGIONS ARE WAYS & MEANS TO ACHIEVE ONE COMMON GOAL - INTEGRAL HUMANISM & BUILD LOVE & SHUN HATRED

Lets discuss here

REQUEST : NO OFFENCE OR BIAS TOWARDS ANY PARTICULAR RELIGION PLEASE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No BIAS ! but i guess talking about religion itself is a strict taboo
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bingleguy
    No BIAS ! but i guess talking about religion itself is a strict taboo
    BG

My point is : In a matured society we have today, what role does religion play ?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmn ! Agreed !

well
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Thread Nakeeran!!!

ALL RELIGIONS ARE WAYS & MEANS TO ACHIEVE ONE COMMON GOAL - INTEGRAL HUMANISM & BUILD LOVE & SHUN HATRED
    Heres another:
    Relieving Once self from the Cycle of Life and Death.

Infact....thinking about it...

Hinduism and Buddism has the concept of reincarnation. So their Philosophical Point is that.

Where as Xtianity and Islam don't believe in Reincarnation, so their point is basically to get ppl into heaven.

Xtianity = Don't Commit Sins, Prolitherization, (or however u spell it) Believe that Crist Died For ur Sins, and Live according to the rules of xtianity, and ur in.

Islam = Live according to the rules of islam, Allah isn't for us, we are afor allah. Prolitherization.

I do agree that inhumane acts and hatred are frowned upon in most religions, which hopefully will acheave integral humanism, build love, and shun hatred.

But I do not think that that is the goal of all religions. If so then why did Budha break away from Hinduism? Why did Mohhamad break away from Judaism, and why did the first Apostles preach something other than Judaism?

I think taht each religion has it's own base, it's own Native Juice so to speak, which makes it have a different Goal.
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHY RELIGION?

to teach human to live like a human
    to reach God
    to live a good life
    to understand the truth and meaning of life (not monty python's)
    in some case to keepdown people
    in some case to keepdown women
    in some case to war
    in some case to become a prophet
    in some case to rule the world
    in some case to be God himself
    in some case to show hatred towards another religion
    in many case to fool people, i guess!!!!!!!!!

SORRY IF IAM WRONG
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    CRA-ZEE CRA-ZEE CRA-ZEE!!

Suri- good post from u too!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    CRA-ZEE CRA-ZEE CRA-ZEE!!

Suri- good post from u too!

NANDRI lamby
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Senior Hubber Tia's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    its just peoples belief in how they think superhumans (gods)are and how they think they should lead their life in cos there are certain rules in religion to lead ur life....
    THALAPTHY RAJINI -ILAYATHALAPTHY VIJAY!
    so....
    SUPERSTAR RAJINI - NEXT SUPERSTAR VIJAY!

gorgeous gaayini ~ Ghlli ~ now Tia

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I am not religious. I come from a religious family, i.e., my parents are religious (not very deeply, but they are religious), but personally, I don't think organised religion is a very good thing.

If people turn to religion for moral and spiritual guidance, then that is totally fine, as long as people don't try to stick too strictly to religious principles.

I think problems really start if religion is used as a tool or as an instrument to control individuals and society, or if religion starts to interfere with politics.

One major problem with religion is that everyone has to be "respectful" of it. Anyone who criticises or questions religion - any religion - is accused of being blasphemous or disrespectful - this is used as a way to suppress any expression of doubt or dissent. That is my major objection to organised religion - it is used to control the masses, and they don't even realise it.

That is the major difference between science and religion - science and scientists encourage people who ask questions - they encourage rational thought - no scientist can expect to be above criticism.

Personally, I feel that although the older generations of people all around the world may wish to hold strongly to their beliefs and traditions, in an ideal world, at least the younger generations (my generation) should be unafraid of doing things differently - I'm not saying we should totally discard everything that is old - there is a lot of good in the old, but it's not all perfect - we should therefore carefully examine old cultural traditions and customs, and learn from it all - we can learn from the things that they got right, and also from the mistakes they made - the most important thing is that we should be open-minded. My point is that religion does not encourage open-mindedness, but we can still learn a lot that is of value from religion.

I hope my post made sense to you guys. I think I will come back here with more to say.
    "The best form is no form." - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast