Thread: "Moral science" in schools... is it still relevant

Threaded View

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Moral science" in schools... is it still relevant

I've just been reading one of the stories in the Stories/KadhaigaL section... "Girls are like roses" by Hummingbird... Just have a few thoughts that I was going to post in that thread, but then I thought it would be better to create a new thread for the topic on its own...

The last comment on that topic was quite a long time ago, so may be none of you guys want to talk about it any longer... But I'd like to say a few things...

"Girls are like roses..." ?!!!!! Really?????? So what are boys like? The writer raised that question herself, but even she doesn't seem to have any answer to it... Yes, that's 'cause it's a load of nonsense... I'm sorry. I'm sure though, that Braandan and Lambretta are right... these days, it's the boys that need protecting from the girls...

Although we can joke about this, there are people (still, even today) who would actually take it seriously, and are overprotective towards their children... (especially girls, but also boys) And their children then struggle when they have to start living in the real world for themselves...

"Moral Science"... I went to a school where we had "moral science" classes... in hindsight, I don't think I learned anything of any real practical use from those lessons... just a set of rules that were well-intentioned, but not really applicable in the world we live in today... it just made me really naive as a child and even into my teenage years (and I'm a guy, not a girl)...

Really we (especially in India) have an assumption that children are "innocent" and should be "protected"... well, of course children need guidance, and need to be looked after until they can look after themselves... but children shouldn't be too sheltered... most children are capable of understanding what the real world is like (if they are shown what it's like...) I really wish my parents (and the society that I grew up in) had not sheltered me so much when I was a child... I would have grown up and matured (mentally and emotionally) so much faster... But that is the hypocrisy of Indian "culture"... our great "kalaachaaram"...

I sincerely hope that school education in India will change (if it hasn't changed already) to take all of this into account... Children need things like sex education, they need to be taught (the basics) about how the economy works, they need social education that teaches them the realities of the world, not some moralistic ideals that don't really work in today's world... They need to be encouraged to take a genuine interest in science, not just to treat it as an exam that they have to pass to gain entry in engineering/medicine, etc...

I don't know what more to say... I invite your comments...
    "The best form is no form." - Bruce Lee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement