Post Thanks / Like

babu (@ 198.*) on: Wed Feb 10 13:37:25

bb, Thats a good joke, but sadly inaccurate. IMO

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

kalyani (@ 1cus*) on: Fri Mar 12 20:21:57

i didn't finish a suitable boy, but in my opinion, its not exactly hum log. it seems to be a sort of middle-class point of view allegory of partition more on the lines of midnight's children.

kalli

Post Thanks / Like

vj (@ stew*) on: Sat Mar 13 17:20:02

my humble recommendations....

(1)Franny and Zooey
    -will make you realise that there are people who think like you

(2)Autumn of the Patriarch - Marquez-
    if One hundred.... is his tour de force in magic realism what do you call this? Half way through I got so submerged in the intense "magic realism"
    that for a week or so i was thinking like the Patriarch...

(3) To Build a Fire and other stories - Jack London, just when I was wondering if any author rather than taking you into his world to explain his ideas , would sit with you and explain the brutality of existence, I read this book.
    Extremely short stories, deep impact....

(4) Anna Karenina - this book is life , down-to-earth life and all its forms and emotions
    it takes a month to wade through this book....

(5) The Book of Laughter and Forgetting -
    In my opinion, Kundera's most intricate book, So many concepts, so many images.... I think this book has least of Kundera's normal self-obsessed rambling....

5 is all I have now.....

Post Thanks / Like

Athavan (@ 202.*) on: Mon Mar 15 12:41:02

though most of you have suggested Arundathi Roy's
    GOST (ghost!! heh) I still dont find it amusing cos as far as every asian goes, it is the story of his grandparents or great grand parents in their village!!!
    It may have fascinated the Europeans and Americans as this story is something new to them. I personally feel that 'The God of small things' is commendable only for its excellent use of the English language written by a good interpreter of Indian lifestyle!!!
    I'm a fan of Ayn Rand too : I suggest 'We the living' by her. It is a pessimistic point of view of life

Post Thanks / Like

Anil Viswanathan (@ 206.*) on: Wed Mar 17 06:07:27

Hi Friends!!

I would also like to add to the list of "must-reads". I am not including those already repeated like Steinbeck, Hemingway, Pirsig, etc.

I would highly recommend these following novels-

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse - amazing portrayal-
    very "Indian" - if I might say so..

The good Earth, Come, my beloved - Pearl S. Buck
    - again oreintal thought- and hence much more closer to heart.

I saw someone mention R.K Narayan -the book " Waiting for the Mahatma"- on another plane- much unlike his other writings.

Remains of the Day - Ishiguro- the meaning of life- ideals and beliefs.

Wonderful classics-

three men on a boat - Jerome K Jerome

far from the Madding Crowd - Hardy

Wuthering Heights - Bronte - one of the few books that leave you with a feeling of eerie and uneasiness- all about the feelings of evil and jealousy in the otherwise innocent human mind- lovely protrayal.

Catch- 22 - Joseph Hellerr- much unlike the aforementioned novels- amazingly written -every line has so much pun in it that you can sit on every sentence for minutes together.

The Golden Gate _ vikram seth- beautifullywritten book- construction and story is very good.

SO many titles come to my mind now... but I guess I would have bored most by now...

namaskaram,

anil.

Post Thanks / Like

vjk (@ fool*) on: Thu Mar 18 12:23:24

Hi all.
    To me the books that affected me pretty deeply are ;
    - The Razors Edge - Sommerset Maughman
    excuse me fro the spelling
    - Unbearbale Lightness of being - Milan Kundera
    Damn good book. Must read
    - Sidhartha - Herman Hesse....another brilliant stuff....

But for satire and comedy I love Kurt Vonnegut Jr....amazing stories.....Like the Sirens of the Titans for example.....

vk

Post Thanks / Like

ma. Sivagnanam (@ j17.*) on: Mon May 3 10:24:28

Would you give me addresses of suitable english literary magazines? I would like to send my short stories to them.

Post Thanks / Like

bb (@ bern*) on: Mon May 3 23:22:31

Post Thanks / Like

Udhaya (@ 205.*) on: Fri May 14 16:55:08

A look at some major players in African American Literature:

Toni Morrison
    Morrison is a must read for any serious fan of literature. This winner of the Nobel prize a few years ago is worth celebrating. Though her writings stem from her background as an African American matriarch, the tales she weaves, the array of characters with which she manages to peel humanity layer by layer and the exquisite language she uses put her on top as the best American writer alive in my esteem.

I have her books,Sula, Song of Solomon and Tar Baby. I have read Sula and am still rejoicing that experience. The other two I'll save to savor when I'm totally out of good stuff to read.

John Edgar Wideman
    Wideman is another African American writer who writes blazing, elegiac fiction. I've also read some of his essays and articles. The man is a giant in expressing the indignant frustration of common lives wronged by the machinations of class, culture, race, and government.

Key books of his:
    Damballah(a marvelous story-cycle that weaves in the story of a whole neighborhood)
    Philadelphia Fire(based on the mysterious bombing of a black ghetto),
    Brothers and Keepers(this one is autobiographical, based on John being a celebrated writer and his brother Robbie spending time in prison for murder)

James Baldwin
    In many ways the trailblazer of African American fiction. Baldwin was voicing outright hatred for the injustices of society's racism and took to task the white majority with his explosive essays, short stories and fiction. Even in his own black community Baldwin wasn't embraced totally due to his homosexuality. He nevertheless endured as a pioneer in lucid, acrid prose that doesn't let the reader duck the issues being raised.

Key works:
    Go Tell It On The Mountain(this is Baldwin first novel which launched him with applause and uproar. For some reason I'm still saving this as a surefire treat in waiting.)
    Another Country(a potent mix of gender, race, love, sexuality all dealt with dignity and aplomb in the classic Baldwin style. The novel takes place in New York and France.
    Giovanni's Room(set in Paris and dealing with the tug of war between sexuality and convention, but it's a lot more honest and affecting than the average issue-laden work. This was the first casual account of homosexuality I read by an American.)

Post Thanks / Like

bb (@ bern*) on: Fri May 14 17:57:54

udhaya, maya angelou padichchirukkeengaLA?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast