Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Songs

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Songs

Topic started by TFM Group on Tue Jan 27 15:47:28 EST 1998.
    <font size="-1">All times in EDT/EST +9:30/10:30 for IST.</font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Old responses

Post Thanks / Like

S Ramaswamy (@ 203.*) on: Sun Jun 22 11:54:49 EDT 2003

Which movie is the following song from?

vaazhkai odam, odam vendum, senru karai sera vendum? sung by TMS and P Leela. And its MD? Is it G Ramanathan?

And who is the MD of the film 'Dr Savitri" in which a superb song by Leela goes like this....
    ...senthamizh geetham ezhuvathu kuralale, innisai pongum madurasa naadam milirvathu viralale'. A piano song.

Post Thanks / Like

Vicky (@ 12.8*) on: Sun Jun 22 14:31:41 EDT 2003

Music for the Tamil movie "Dr. Savithri" composed by G Ramanathan. Indeed, P Leela did justice to that song.

Post Thanks / Like

Vicky (@ 12.8*) on: Sun Jun 22 22:36:21 EDT 2003

"Ennai Eduthu Thannai Koduthu..Ponavan Ponandi" from the movie "Padagotti", this is absolutely one of my favorites, from the time I heard the original track pyramiding Smt. Susheela's voice. That intro is something. I would call it her signature piece. She showed us what we expected of her, dramatizing the florid passages in that divine voice of hers or simply gave it her personal touch. The subtle rhythm and sophisticated tonal controls delivered an musical ambience in an unusual way. It is a puritan classic.

Her voice is huge and gigantic but with amazing flexibility supported by exquisite VR's musical patterns. It is a force of nature capable of performing the most mind-boggling like coloratura (should I admit on par with Joan Sutherland's rendition of Vincenzo Bellini's "Norma" or "Son vergin vezzosa" from "I Puritani"). Only Susheela's voice and her very secure technique can sing very demanding piece.

She meets the high note requirements easily and seems extremely aggressive. Here, the diva shakes off all here jealous critics that she is the only real dramatic mezzo soprano out there and set the standard for a masterpiece.

To ask for more expressive power would be missing the point; that is not what this rendition is about. It is perfectly chosen to display the best qualities of Susheela's voice at its peak.

She sang in very high tessituras (an operatic term) and managed to make every word comprehensible (unlike the current crop). It was spectacular in their regularity and precision and had very accurate pitch but at the same time more poignant. Smt. Susheela makes the listener aware that she is aware of every word she sings and every one of them brims with dramatic meaning at strident high notes (seems to me she has Montesarrat Caballe's platinum overtones at some finishing edges).

The orchestra of VR is competent (likened it to Dvorak's arrangement for Largo) against the background of Susheela's serene expressiveness and warm acoustics as she redeems the song. She gave us the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

S Ramaswamy (@ 202.*) on: Tue Jun 24 07:05:22 EDT 2003

Can anyone tell me the MD of the film 'Naane Raja" in which TMS sings this superb song .....
    'mandamarudam tazhum, chandran vaanile thigazhum'.
    Is it G Ramanathan? And can anyone give me a link to another superb TMS song from 'Kalyanikku Kalyanam' - Unnai Ninaikkiyile - It reminds me of the MSS song penned by Kalki Krishnamurthy 'Maalai Pozhudinile oru naal'.

Post Thanks / Like

S Ramaswamy (@ 202.*) on: Tue Jun 24 07:22:55 EDT 2003

The TMS song in 'Naane Raja' shld read as ' Mandamarudam Tavazhum'....

Post Thanks / Like

Hy (@ 216.*) on: Fri Jun 27 00:51:37 EDT 2003

Hi

Post Thanks / Like

S Ramaswamy (@ 203.*) on: Fri Jun 27 01:11:16 EDT 2003

The song which i feel is better than the one quoted by u goes like this, also by PS, 'ore raagam, ore taalam'. it has PS at her lilting best, and the BGM is out of this world, esp the flute

Post Thanks / Like

Saravanan (@ 195.*) on: Mon Jul 7 14:28:55 EDT 2003

S Ramaswami- Thanks for recalling ‘Manthamaarutham thavazhum, Chandiran vaanilae thigazhum, indha velaiyae inbamae, egaanthamaana intha velaiyae inbamae’- a great song by TMS from the film Naanae Raja. How attractively he brings the intoxicated mood with his tipsy ‘lalala’ humming with those hiccups being the speed breakers placed so imaginatively throughout the song!

Kalpana Pictures’ Naanae Raja-1956 had music by TR Ramanathan. He was the veenai player in SV Venkataraman’s team. Naanae Raja was the only film for which he composed music.

The film stg. Sivaji Ganesan, had screenplay and dialogues by Kannadasan.

All the songs composed by TR Ramanathan were good. Besides ‘Manthamaarutham thavazhum’ some other songs that I remember from Naanae Raja are:

Sindhu paadum thendral vandhu inbam ponga veesuthaey-VN Sundaram-P Leela
    Aadhiandham ilaatha jothiyae-TMS
    Maalai sooduvaen magizhvaai aaduvaen. Solai kuyil polavae geetham paaduvaen-Jikki
    Andhi vaanam meedhilae vandhu pogum megamae-P Leela
    Aanaimugan thambi aarumugam-TMS-SC Krishnan
    Aadal kalaikku azhagu-P Leela, with perhaps (Radha)Jayalakshmi
    Pon meni kaati unnai inbathil aatuvaan-Jikki
    Thunbam yaavum vaazhvilae-P Leela

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast