Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews - Contemporary Fiction

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not read much fiction these days. Last year I read Jhumpa Lahiri's "The Namesake" and liked it very much. Equally impressive is the review of the book by Pankaj Ghosh in the New York Review of Books, December 2003. The same Pankaj Ghosh wrote a wonderful story "Reading Edmund Wilson in Benares". None of these are very recent but I liked all the above.
    Swarup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber malligai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hii Friends!!

Just wondering of anyone here has read Nicholas Evan's "The Divide" or the "Horse Whisperer"...

If anyone has, can u post a short review of these books for me..

Thanks in advance..

Senior Member Senior Hubber malligai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have started "The Divide"...i will post a review once i finish [if i finish.. ]

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    can anyone suggest contemporary science fiction writers?(in simple style)

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    REVIEW OF "MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA" - already posted in the memoirs of a geisha thread. . bt i thot id rather post in the book reviews thread as well .. so here it is -

i wanted to start a thead on this book after i read it .. but then .. i jus wrote in " latest reads" and left. . .book is too good ..

A SYNOPSIS OF THE STORY ..

i read the book ..just after my 12th boards .... so i too was recollecting the "school life" phase that had just concluded in my life.. Speaking of recollections .. this book is perfectly written..
    Arthur Golden has recollected the memoirs of a Japanese Geisha. .in the most chronological manner.

An interesting tale portraying the life of a geisha, a life that is atypical, complicated and satiated with formalism. Golden completes seduces the reader with his meticulous and graceful description of a geisha’s life. Aptly titled as “memoirs of a geisha”, this book gives the reader the feeling of having spent hours or days with the most gifted geisha of Japan. The book begins with
    “Chiyo” a young and poor child who is mercilessly separated from her family. It describes a child’s perception of deception, perplexity and separation. Then, the cruelty she undergoes whilst toiling to become a geisha and finally the beautiful, elegant and detailed description of the making of the classic heroine, the Kyoto geisha, Sayuri. Today, fiction rarely comes as archetypal as this novel.

it's a bit controversial.. my cousin read it and disapproved it's subject matter..
    she's feels..there is no difference between a geisha and a prostitute. .... however in the book .. golden points out the difference between a geisha and slut in the japanese society..
    however in our country . if a woman dances, or basically performs in front of men ... to make a living.. she's a slut. but in their society .. geishas are dancers ..in face they hold a great place of respect in the society ..
    like mameha in the novel ..

my opinion

My opinion is that. The novel has been narrated is a distinct style. I always thought authors write in their own distinct styles which are influenced by their vicinity and lifestyle but Golden through his novel has proved me wrong. He has shown a feat of cross cultural masquerade. I still can’t believe it that a non-Japanese and that too, a male writer who has produced such an intricate novel.

It is just a story. One doesn’t have to approve it’s contents. Certainly even I never considered the “Geisha” life much dissimilar to that of a prostitute. Yet after reading this immensely believable book, I suppose there is a wee difference. However, this view is from an Indian eye. It may be different to people of other nations. We just can’t set aside this novel on grounds of such petite controversies. This book , for all intents and purposes, doesn’t try to convince the reader to show any difference. It just describes the life of a geisha. I feel any Indian or anyone for that matter, who bets to differ from my opinion, should still keep this book back their shelves. Arthur Golden does deserve an applause.

cheers
    chevy

Member Regular Hubber Death Note's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA View Post
    can anyone suggest contemporary science fiction writers?(in simple style)
    Joe Haldeman. I would really recommend The Forever War and The Forever Free.

Member Junior Hubber shalushalu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bought "I too had a love story" by Ravinder Singh - while I was in Chennai. A simple, poignant love story. If you are an avid reader, and have three hours or so to spare, this would be a good bet. The book starts with this phrase, "Dedicated to - The loving memory of the girl whom I loved, yet could not marry". Curiosity kills the cat. That is what it did to me.....
    Sticks and stones are hard on bones, Aimed with angry art,
    Words can sting like anything, But silence breaks the heart.
    ~Phyllis McGinley, "Ballade of Lost Objects," 1954~

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SOB with CONNIE WILLIS DOOMSDAY BOOK.

moving story of DOOMSDAY BY CONNIE WILLS - MEDIEVAL PERIOD - big book keep your attention, travels back and forth between future & the past

A history student got the permission to travel back in time and dropped in the English countryside to observe the early 14th century.
    Though she was prepared, learned the languages & customs, immunized , vaccinated etc... she got fever, found herself in the middle of bubonic plague epidemic and was in the street as soon as she was dropped. Medieval people cared for her.
    she recovered little but still she is weak and couldn't find the spot from which she can go home.
    Now she is stuck in 14th century, the days are depressing and dangerous....emotionally affecting.

Now at present, the tech and the others in charge of the history student have fell ill due to unknown virus infection. The virus spread everywhere. The lab is closed. They couldn't support the history student back at 14th century. By the time they get back to normal, nobody knows what happened to the student back at 14th century.
    They need to find a way to get the student back home...
    tense moments.

your heart will bleed in sadness with this book but you still love it.
    engaging, emotional, thrilling and sad
    Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 13th June 2011 at 07:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mystical beauty! PILGRIMAGE by ZENNA HENDERSON

zenna henderson's book.jpg

Every 'outsider'(Earth folks) who loves to read/bookworms/knows to read,not read often but wants to read/casual readers... ALL, yeah.... everyone must get to know the PEOPLE. They are fascinating, mystical, loving, all about friendship, community and using their gifts for good.
    Every chapter is a gem, words can't describe the Classic.

Related stories of "PEOPLE" is PILGRIMAGE by ZENNA HENDERSON.
    It is about Children who feel misunderstood,isolated , feeling terribly lonely, different and find
    others who are like them slowly. They have special powers, can float above the ground,read people's mind, sensitive, council troubled minds, snarled emotions etc..
    In each story lost members find their way to the group.
    The book starts with depressed Lea wanting to do suicide. Karen rescued her and convinced her to embrace hope & life.
    Karen takes Lea to her place and her PEOPLE. Exciting story of PEOPLE, their problems and how they want to live as they are as a community.
    Who are these PEOPLE?
    Aliens fled from their home planet and were separated and scattered on Earth when their ship crashed. PEOPLE are nice, they touch your heart.
    Mystical beauty set in American west/south west/canyons, fantastic imagery of rural settings,writings on the land and residents.

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 26th June 2011 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Serial murder mystery in colonial India....THE LAST KASHMIRI ROSE BY BARBARA CLEVERLY

THE LAST KASHMIRI ROSE.jpgTHE LAST KASHMIRI ROSE

Serial murder mystery in colonial India. Indian setting but not much elaboration on the Indians, ordinary folks and their life of that period. It is about the Anglo Indian life styles, officers and their military routines, their lavish life with servants, ayyahs in rural areas of Panikhat.

Scotland Yard detective Joe Sandilands decides to go home after working in Colonial India.

That time he gets a request from Bengal asking for help regarding a murder.

A wife of British officer is dead, initially they thought it is a suicide but after investigation , they realize that several wives have died over the time period that there are coincidences between the deaths....they are all dying at the month of March.

Nancy Drummond, a friend of the last victim Peggy Somersham who found dead in her bath with her wrists cut is the lady accompanied Joe Sandilands to Panikhat for investigation.

She is attractive, intelligent and was elaborating on the previous deaths, incidents of Alicia who was drowned in the river crossing on a ferry, the death of Sheila Forbes and the woman bitten by cobra Joan Carmichael to the latest death of her friend. Nancy totally believes that it is a murder, she wanted to investigate all these deaths and the connections.

Thus starts our investigation of the deaths of Dolly, Joan,Sheila,Alicia and the latest Peggy at Panikhat.

Our detective Joe is attracted to Nancy, he admires her looks, the way she speaks, sits etc... she is his love interest and she is married, Naurung is his help (Indian policeman) who is very loyal.
    Characters are pleasant.

Good plot with twists.

Comfortable read.

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 26th June 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast