Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews - Contemporary Fiction

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

prakash (@ hse-*) on: Fri Feb 22 15:33:42

I also recently read the book Web of Silk and Gold. Mukesh and Shaila, what did you like most about the book? It was has good flow and I think the author has handled a tough subject with ease.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

dhruva .k. jain (@ dial*) on: Tue Feb 26 07:40:54

hi
    read 'web of silk and gold" to me it was the feelings that were written which was good. i liked thta part. also very poetic. I wish it was longer though

Post Thanks / Like

vipasa bhole (@ dial*) on: Tue Feb 26 07:44:20

where can i buy 'the web of silk and gold?

Post Thanks / Like

prakash (@ hse-*) on: Tue Feb 26 09:10:55

vipasa:

I picked it up from Higginbothams, Madras when I was last there, but you can buy it here http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/Search...ProdStock=8354

Post Thanks / Like

prakash (@ hse-*) on: Tue Feb 26 10:05:58

dhruva:
    Yes, the emotions of a young girl, married off young, coming from a protected family are written so well. It is a touching novel and I am sure many Indian women might see themselves or part of themselves in Aradhna.

Post Thanks / Like

T. Raktcha (@ 202.*) on: Tue Feb 26 10:23:49

Hi I have read the book "web of silk and gold"Aradhana's plight early in her marriage brought tears in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Laughing at the Brahmin/Non-Brahmin arguments ...... (@ hami

well friends, does anyone know what Shakti Niranjchana's next book is about? I read somewhere that she is writing a book on arts and craft and there's also buzz that she may be writing a historic novel?

BTW Has anyone read David Davidar's new book?

Post Thanks / Like

Udhaya (@ 64-6*) on: Wed May 15 17:54:34

Review of Rohinton Mistry’s A Fine Balance
    Mistry has been lauded as a master storyteller who belongs among the 19th century greats. The American media is completely enamored with his writing calling it Dic*kensian (the forum censor thought I was swearing when I typed the author's last name, ha). Mistry does create endearing characters that gain an intimate resonance from the careful details of their longings, motives, actions and the circumstances surrounding their everyday struggles. The intertwining stories of a middle-aged Parsi widow, a college youth who’s the widow’s paying guest, and two tailors who work for the widow form the core of the novel. There are plenty of secondary characters that aid and obstruct the lives of the four main characters. The Emergency period under Indhira Gandhi’s reign and the fascist power wielded by the MISA act are the real villains in this novel. Mistry is best when personalizing the political or social edicts through his characters. This was the remarkable beauty of his earlier novel, “Such a Long Journey”.

But in “A Fine Balance”, Mistry elaborates the catastrophic reach of injustice in every corner that the reader feels like a participant in an ill-fated, masochistic video game. While the political and social corruptions are endemic to any Indian novel’s concerns, Mistry’s agenda of contempt is so unforgiving and deep-seated that his characters risk incredulity in their epic suffering. Other than catching the plague or being stoned to death, almost every other calamity is accounted for by the characters: fatal accidents, gruesome suicides, castration, forced vasectomies, hanging, lynching, slave labor, starvation, broken limbs, not to mention the lighter fare of bribes, extortion and forced abeyance on the victims. The narration barely lets up before delivering the next heartbreak. Every lucky break afforded a character is a harbinger of a future calamity that the title’s balance becomes ironic. There is no balance of joy and pain here, only a relentless parade of misery.

The Emergency period was a dark era in India’s history when the authorities were empowered with a fascist law. Historically the lower castes, and poor have suffered unthinkable atrocities under the hands of power in India. But these realities still need to be rendered in a way that doesn’t lean on melodrama which ultimately sells short the real suffering endured by many.

Post Thanks / Like

Theena (@ 203.*) on: Thu May 30 16:40:24

Tell me if any book can beat 'Silence of the Lamb' as the best contemporary psycological thriller. I doubt it.

But if you guys want comedy, violence rolled into one seamless mixture, then Cristopher Brookmyre should be your choice. I'll list some of his novels:
    *Boling a frog;
    *Not the end of the world;
    *Quite ugly one morning
    *One fine day in the middle of the night.

If any of you guys have read any of the above please feel free to contact me and comment on them.

Theena

Post Thanks / Like

Hub Team (@ foru*) on: Sun Jan 12 22:37:47

Pls do not post any personal messages to Ms. shakti niranjchana here. The author does not like personal messages and we have removed all such posts on her request.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast