Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: P G Wodehouse

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

shaista (@ 202.*) on: Tue Apr 18 07:30:59 EDT 2000

Hey the wodehouse guy .. the one who made my heart go haywire on jeeves .Oh I really love him do I? Everytime i plunge into jeeves or bertie or Aunt Agatha or the whole bunch of firecrackers ,I'm totally lost .. in a world of fun and frolic away from the rat race. If you aren't a wodehouse reader you've lost something (substantial) in life. So never too late. Pick up one and lie on a hammock coz that's the best place to enjoy a wodehouse. Bye luv Ya.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Srinivas Sridharan (@ sob-*) on: Tue May 9 20:14:03 EDT 2000

Glad to have spotted this thread. Am a hopeless Wodehouse fan. Like Connie, my heart too is split between Blandings Castle with its Emsworths and the Jeeves series. However, I very often lean towards Blandings.

Only a genius of his kind who so exuberantly mocks at the English aristocracy could come up with names like Gussy Finknottle, Stiffy Bing, Stinker Pinker etc.

To the issue of the no.of books he has written, I think the entire collection numbers between 90 and 100. This may or may not include the screenplays I beleive he has written for some Hollywood productions.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim (@ ) on: Wed Dec 6 12:10:33

What Ho ! buddies, with knobs on. If you can think of a better thing to have happened to mankind than PGW, you can have it.

Cheers, all of you.

Post Thanks / Like

erumbu (@ host*) on: Wed Dec 6 16:17:16 EST 2000

I LOVE PGW's Novels!!!

his style, humour and english are without par!!!

The best character I like is PSMITH! I am surprised that no one has said anything about my favourite character so far!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

arthur avalon (@ 203.*) on: Thu Dec 7 04:55:41 EST 2000

It would be more fruitful if some discussion takes place about the characters, plot, Wodehouses penchant and flair for bombastic words, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

ravi sundaram (@ 192.*) on: Thu Dec 7 10:05:34 EST 2000

(Once in a while I'll post a fondly remembered scene from PGW. May be it will spark discussions
    Arthus Avalon is asking for. May be others can do so too. Let us give a name and number to these references so that follow ups can refer to them clearly)

--Psmith: Meets Man with a bush on lapel #0001--
    Psmith as the detective arranges to meet someone he has not seen before. Psmith asks the other guy to wear a chrysanthemum on his lapel for identification. Other guy goes to a flower shop and finds to his dismay the flower was six inches in diameter and strains the coat lapel. There was a coded exchange too for identification. Psmith is late for the meeting. This guy ends up asking everyone in the waiting room of Drones Club if it was raining in Shrophshire. Then Psmith wanders around and locates him and says, "What are you doing with that bush on your coat?". Turns out Psmith meant a carnation not the mum. Hilarious descriptions all the way during this episode.
    -----end of 0001-----------------------

[For tamils: Remember the movie "sattam en kaiyil"? There the coded exhange between two smugglers is "It is raining in Mount Road (mount rodula mazahi peyyuthu)", "Yes,So it must be Friday (aamaa, innikku veLLik kizhamai)". Almost
    identical to the coded exchange in #0001]

Post Thanks / Like

erumbu (@ host*) on: Thu Dec 7 10:44:54 EST 2000

hi ravi sundaram,

i remember this one very well. actually i think that its the otherway round. Freddie (of blandings castle) asks Psmith to wear this. its a very funny thing.

in the same novel, there is a part where psmith tries to woo a girl. you should read the part where he proposes to her!! Its totally hilarious!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ravi sundaram (@ 192.*) on: Thu Dec 7 14:38:01 EST 2000

Psmith gives away the umbrella of some Drones Club member the flower shop girl right?

--------Barbazon Plank Major, Minor, Miner--#0002
    Uncle Dynamite's name slips my mind, please help.
    He claims to be Major Barbazon Plank, returning
    from an Expdition to the Amazaon. Constable Potter knows the real Major Barbazon Plank and confronts
    him and asks for an explantion.
    This is how he wiggles out: (paraphrased by me
    not an exact quote)
    "My dear Potter, I dont blame you, many like you
    have been confused. When I said Barbazon Plank,
    the major, many people confuse me, like you apparently have, with my younger
    brother Major Barbazon Plank, the minor."
    Seeing Potter's eyes glaze over and not the one who to quit while he is ahead, he continued,
    "By a curious coincidence I ended up in Africa and
    America prospecting and eventually owning a goodly few mines in many parts of the world, Thus you see, I am the miner Barbazon Plank, the major. And my brother, having been promoted to the rank of Major for his services to Her Majesty, is the Major Barbazon Plank, the minor. So that should clear up any confusion you had my dear". He walked away leaving Constable Potter by the pond staring vacantly at the horizon making strange noises.
    End of -----------#0002

Post Thanks / Like

Ramji (@ 205.*) on: Thu Dec 7 21:03:28 EST 2000

ravi:

The majorminor piece used to be one of my fves but I dont have the book now. Thanks for the nostalgic trip.

Uncle Dynamite? hmmmm.... Lord Ickenham?

Post Thanks / Like

Ramji (@ 205.*) on: Thu Dec 7 21:14:44 EST 2000

Dont remember in which one, a guy tells this joke during an after-dinner conversation. It is about two guys on a train who are short of hearing.

The train is just entering a station and A looks out the window apparently to see what station it was.

B: Is it Wensley?

A: No, it is Thursday.

B: So am I, let us get down for a drink.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast