Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: P G Wodehouse

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ramji (@ 205.*) on: Wed Jan 12 17:18:05 EST 2000

Aarthy:

Are you the budding poet that I know? PGW can be a life long companion. Besides humor, you can read him for the sheer beauty of the language.

He said: " I believe there are two ways of writng novels. One is mine, making a sort of musical comedy without music and ignoring life altogether; the other is going right deep down into life and not caring a damn."

Do you know he became a US citizen?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Aarthi (@ usr5*) on: Sat Jan 15 00:12:19 EST 2000

No I did`nt know he became a US citizen..Interesting trivia!
    No I am not the budding poet you know-Ramji.
    Does anyone know if one can get him at Barnes and Noble or Borders?

Post Thanks / Like

Bashuman Deb (@ 202.*) on: Sat Jan 29 10:15:57 EST 2000

I belong to that school of thought that believes that good old plum was one of the greatest exponents of the english language. If there was a person who could breathe life into the language it was Wodehouse. His language has character and that too a distinct one. Whenever I read a Wodehouse I get the feeling that those are not merely simple words put in there. Every phrase, every word seems to leap out of the pages like impish schoolboys and make fantastic faces at you, so much so that you cannot but break out into uncontrollable laughter.
    Wodehouse stories ( if one can call them that that is) for me have another very important facet. They seem to be, to me a shameless celebration of life. I at times also sit down and wonder at the genius of the human being, as to how being a part of the times that we live in could have had the strength to view and the capacity to share so much beauty and goodness.
    Wodehouses world was as has been already said _idyllic_ but let us not forget that it does take a lot of beauty of spirit and strength of mind to even envisage an idyllic world.

Post Thanks / Like

Saketh (@ ppp3*) on: Sun Feb 6 14:58:30 EST 2000

Read somewhere that Plum used to write 16 hours a day!

Post Thanks / Like

Connie (@ slip*) on: Sat Feb 19 09:49:45 EST 2000

I have been a huge fan of PG Wodehouse since the seventies! My all time favorite author. I agree that he is not nearly as big in America as you would expect...I usually get a blank stare when I speak of him which is incomprehensible to me....
    I am divided between Blandings Castle and Bertie and Jeeves...my heart is torn.
    Oh, he is at Barnes and Nobel, and also ebay....

Post Thanks / Like

Connie (@ slip*) on: Sat Feb 19 09:52:40 EST 2000

I have been a huge fan of PG Wodehouse since the seventies! My all time favorite author. I agree that he is not nearly as big in America as you would expect...I usually get a blank stare when I speak of him which is incomprehensible to me....
    I am divided between Blandings Castle and Bertie and Jeeves...my heart is torn.
    Oh, he is at Barnes and Nobel, and also ebay....

Post Thanks / Like

aruvi (@ sofi*) on: Sat Feb 19 22:58:45 EST 2000

He did right a lot of books. But can someone make a list of his all time great comedy books.

Post Thanks / Like

Jyothi Krishnan Unni (@ user*) on: Mon Feb 21 17:04:06 EST 2

Hi,
    Yes I like Wodehouse a lot. I think Jeeves is the greatest. Aunt Agatha is sweet too, for all her terrorising tactics.
    Jyothi

Post Thanks / Like

Jyothi Krishnan Unni (@ user*) on: Mon Feb 21 17:04:11 EST 2

Hi,
    Yes I like Wodehouse a lot. I think Jeeves is the greatest. Aunt Agatha is sweet too, for all her terrorising tactics.
    Jyothi

Post Thanks / Like

Ram (@ kris*) on: Mon Mar 6 13:07:36 EST 2000

Aarti

and this may probably apply to others too. Barnes and Noble is a good place, but the places that really work for me are used book shops. In the south bay (CA) there are such haunts in Palo Alto (University ave)and Mountain View (Castro Street). On good days Ive bought a couple of PGW's for as little as five quid.

I believe one can enjoy his works better with some background in English litt (not that I have any), what with there being multiple references to the old poet and other greek persona's.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast