Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P G Wodehouse

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

vanchi (@ dail*) on: Mon Oct 4 06:12:36

If BW Wooster delights us with his stupidity Psmith does that with, as meera points out above, his grandiloquent style.
    You should read that episode in "Leave it to Psmith" and see how he manages to find an umbrella for a strange girl who is held up in a bus-stop because of rain.
    Psmith notices her stranded just as he came out of his club. He goes back to the cloak room of the club and picks the best umbrella, unmindful of the attendant's protests, and hands it over to that girl.

When it chances that he runs into her later in the same day that unknown girl thanks him and requests him to allow her to keep it until she reaches her home. He tells her not to bother about returning it. After she insisted upon returning it he gives the address to be returned as " Walderwick, ...."
    The girl says "thank you Mr Walderwick" and Psmith is confused by her addressing him so and tells her
    his name.
    "Do you mean to say you are giving away the umbrella of another person?"

His reply is one of the best digs on communism.
    "yes, While other people are content with mere talk of redistribution of property, I go one step further and practise it"
    And that is not the end of that episode. When that Walderwick demands that Psmith return his umbrella
    (or parasol) he consoles him saying how his name will be etched in the annals of history (by this act of donating the umbrella, although by proxy) along with the great names of people known for their kind deeds.

The whole book is hilarious.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

SRK (@ icac*) on: Mon Oct 4 11:17:59

I am a fan of PGW too. My favourite so far is "Code of the Woosters" - easily the funniest book I've ever read. This one is non-stop farce written in a most amusing manner. Critics have rightly described PGW as a musician of the English language.

Sun: If I remember rightly, one of Bertie's friends (is it Bingo Little) becomes Emsworth's secretary. Also, one of his n^2 fiances or her father is related to Emsworth.

Post Thanks / Like

ravi SUNdaram (@ 192.*) on: Tue Oct 12 15:46:56

SRK: The loony doctor Sir Roderick Glossop appears in both series. His daughter is the famour Honoria Glossop, engaged to Bertie, as usual for a book.
    The secretary of Emsworth was Rupert Bauxter a mousy character very unlikely to be a friend of Bertie. But I do remember one of bertie's friends who needs 300 pounds to open a soup canteen in Picadilly circus, ends up kidnapping, nay pignapping, Empress of Blandings. so I was wrong there are more characters that appear in both series.

Post Thanks / Like

SRK (@ icac*) on: Tue Oct 12 23:41:39

sun: True, but Baxter got dismissed. Who was the Lord's secretary after that? I guess it was one of Bertie's friends.

Sir Roderick Glossop was exactly the guy I was referring to. The scene when he comes to visit Bertie, rather to spy on his prospective son-in-law, is one of the most hilarious ones in "Code of the Woosters".

Post Thanks / Like

ravi SUNdaram (@ 192.*) on: Wed Oct 13 14:12:41

SRK: Bertie trying to puncture his hot water bottle with a needle at the end of a pole gets caught. Cant stop laughing just thinking about those episodes. Who was the guy who was depraved
    enough to loop the last pair of ropes back and then challenge Bertie that he could not swing across the pool in Drones Club?

Post Thanks / Like

bill markwood (@ spid*) on: Tue Jan 4 22:38:09 EST 2000

what is Psmith's full name?

Post Thanks / Like

C. B. K. Menon (@ hse-*) on: Fri Jan 7 12:08:46 EST 2000

P. G. WODEHOUSE! The very name is synonymous with Beauty of Language and Purity of Laughter! The amazing thing about P. G. Wodehouse is that although his language is at first difficult for non-English speaking people to comprehend fully, he is most enjoyed precisely in the non-English speaking world (outside Britain) and only rarely in the English-speaking Americas! The fact is that Indians have always enjoyed the beauty of language, whatever it may be - and PGW is a master-juggler of the English language, juggling it to the rarefied heights of comedy. Unlike so-called comedians of modern times, he does not resort to vulgarity to make people laugh. His comedy is the purest bliss! Besides, he has created a whole pantheon of characters, who, for variety and individuality, rank just below the pantheon created by Shakespeare. And that is some achievement!

Post Thanks / Like

Diwakar (@ 206.*) on: Mon Jan 10 16:23:48 EST 2000

What a wonderful thread!

PGW is, IMHO, the greatest writer of humour in the English language. Whenever I read his writings, the mood lightens, the blues are blown away and "all is right with the world". Not that this is anything new or unique. Just thought I will say it.

Here are a couple of his witticisms :

"I have always had the feeling that a violin solo appears to last longer than it actually does".

"He looked at her from top knot to shoe sole".

"In American companies people generally start off as Vice-Presidents and gradually become Managers".

Post Thanks / Like

Aarthi (@ usr5*) on: Tue Jan 11 17:18:29 EST 2000

I agree with u guys...PGW is the best ever!Why is it so hard to find him in a library anywhere in the US????I guess we understand his humour the best, what with having been ruled by the British for soooo long.
    Can u imagine my surprise when I find a brand new hard bound copy of PGW`s 5 short works in the 50% off sale shelf of my school book store.I grabbed it immediately.It was the best $12 I ever spent.The lady at the check out counter says"P.G.Wodehouse....never heard of him".You don`t know what you are missing lady,is all I could think!

Post Thanks / Like

Diwakar (@ 206.*) on: Wed Jan 12 13:06:47 EST 2000

Aarthi :

I think the libraries in the US stock books written by Americans or there is a mention of the US somewhere in the work .

I feel that is the reason that all of PGW's works are not available freely. Moreover PGW's books were also published in the US albeit with different titles.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast