Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical students to serve in village...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is some system in public sector banks that officers should compulsorily serve out of state / region for a minimum period of time. One of my friends in Kerala had to move to U.P. to serve for many years. (Psycologically and practically, IMO, forced to move from Aluva to Lucknow is worse than Chennai to Oddanchatram) A major change, that too when his children were in the schools, he had his own house etc. However, that is the condition for employment / training. Even many private companies sign up agreement with their employees to work for a time period if they spend a lot on them for specific training / education (not just in India, even in U.S.). However, these are spelt out / signed up "prior" to training and not mid-way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

ennayya ithu aniyaayam?

disucssion-thaan kaathu vaanguthunnu paartha.... ippa antha subject-e kaathu vaanguthe!!!!!!!

ennathaan nadakuthu.... eppadithaan athu mudinthathu??? (mudinthatha?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Question:

Are they compensated with salary by the Government for this "village service" period and how much is the duration? If so, is it at par with those in Govt hospitals plus additional travel / stay related expenses?

If that is so, then apparently the Govt. is justified in asking them to serve - as there is a lot of investment in educating the student by tax payers (i.e. if the institutions are funded / aided by the Government). If not it's outright injustice.

In case of institutions that receive nothing from Govt. but charge students for every cent of their expenses, Govt. should not mandate the student to go and work wherever, as it will be poking its nose into a market economy.

Does someone here know all the details?
    Can someone from Singapore tell us that when the citizens go to the compulsory "National Service" there, how much can they be expected to be paid?

National Service as I understand, is mandatory for all male citizens. They are paid a stipend during the period which is lesser than what they could earn in the open market.

When a country like that can impose social responsibility on its people why can't India?

What is the injustice in this? If anything the only injustice is that it is not equally applied to everyone else but we have to make a start somewhere. It is an applaudable idea, and can even be extended to Private colleges, although with some modifications
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Badri, chk this link... they go for NS at 18... I'm not sure abt the pay but this link gives some details abt it...

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/min...smen/home.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...e_in_Singapore

Not only the citizens of SG, but 2nd generation PRs also are obliged to go for NS... or else they'll have to cancel their PR before their son reaches age 14-15(ie when u get a notice for NS) ...But anytime the son plans to take a PR again, he'll have to go for NS...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Badri, I have a strong difference of opinion here when the military (or) similar armed service is forced on its citizens. That's violating individual rights, IMHO. For e.g. I personally have a policy never to use a weapon that could kill, even at the cost of my life! If a political govt. wants to force me to kill, it's infringing into my human rights.

That cannot be compared to this "contractual service" into which a person can "choose" to enter. Looks like Singapore doesn't give its people a choice and I may be put into jail if I live there (for refusing to kill people)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine:
    Even the US had a draft system forcing young men to join the armed forces and fight in Vietnam during the war with Vietnam. I had to register for the draft when I applied for green card. There were conscientious objectors who went to Canada and other places. Those who applied for green card but did not register for the draft were forced or they went back to their home country. But most of the citizens took it as their patriotic duty. In fact, there was talk about reviving the draft system for fighting terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Badri, I have a strong difference of opinion here when the military (or) similar armed service is forced on its citizens. That's violating individual rights, IMHO. For e.g. I personally have a policy never to use a weapon that could kill, even at the cost of my life! If a political govt. wants to force me to kill, it's infringing into my human rights.

That cannot be compared to this "contractual service" into which a person can "choose" to enter. Looks like Singapore doesn't give its people a choice and I may be put into jail if I live there (for refusing to kill people)
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's digression here, still one more post:

rajraj,

True, such policies are not unique to Singapore. Each country has its political whimsies (either always or from time to time). When one is convinced against such a thing, there is always this option of going to jail / deportation etc enna, namma aNNal Gandhiji seiyyAdhadhA? History is full of such atrocities by politicians and how such situations brought out the heroes in very ordinary humans I'm planning to visit the holocaust museum this summer (in DC) which has 1000's of such stories to tell!

Back to the thread : However, the medical student situation, if the contract is signed in the beginning of the course, is not such a violation (if someone does not want, he can always go to engineering and serving in village in medical profession hardly kills lives of those in the other side of a man-made border)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12