Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Medical students to serve in village...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Medical students to serve in village...



    Personally, I feel this is a good move towards rural development which would benefit the people healthwise. But the students are protesting that their duration of study is being extended so that their earning days are postponed which point should be considered valid.

    No doubt they have been given a good opportunity to serve the nation and since medicine is considered to be a service industry they can always take it in the right spirit. But, opposition is on a high degree for this program and students are starving to death. Dr.Ramadoss today was talking in news that it is happenning only in Tamil nadu whereas all other states have welcomed the idea. (appadiya...???)


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question:

    Are they compensated with salary by the Government for this "village service" period and how much is the duration? If so, is it at par with those in Govt hospitals plus additional travel / stay related expenses?

    If that is so, then apparently the Govt. is justified in asking them to serve - as there is a lot of investment in educating the student by tax payers (i.e. if the institutions are funded / aided by the Government). If not it's outright injustice.

    In case of institutions that receive nothing from Govt. but charge students for every cent of their expenses, Govt. should not mandate the student to go and work wherever, as it will be poking its nose into a market economy.

    Does someone here know all the details?

  4. #3
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Question:

    Are they compensated with salary by the Government for this "village service" period and how much is the duration? If so, is it at par with those in Govt hospitals plus additional travel / stay related expenses?
    Duration is 1 year ,6 months in Taluk head quoters and 6 months in any village. They will be given insentive ,but not much expected by students.

    If that is so, then apparently the Govt. is justified in asking them to serve - as there is a lot of investment in educating the student by tax payers (i.e. if the institutions are funded / aided by the Government). If not it's outright injustice.
    Govt is spending almost 10 lakhs for each student for their education ..Their yearly fee is just 8000 rs ..Rest paid by Govt.

    In case of institutions that receive nothing from Govt. but charge students for every cent of their expenses, Govt. should not mandate the student to go and work wherever, as it will be poking its nose into a market economy.
    It is applicable only to students studied in Govt aided medical colleges.
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

  5. #4
    Moderator Platinum Hubber P_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a debate on Vijay TV's NeeyA NaanA on this and the minister Anbumani himself spoke about this issue.

    He said: " sugAthArathila India-vin mudhal maanilangaLil onnu tamilnAdu"

    everyone started clapping, he said " porunga....." and when the claps died he added : " appo michcha maanilangaLOda nilamai ellAm eppidi irukkumnu ninaichu paarunga"

    It was an interesting program and Anbumani was very impressive.
    He was on top of the statistics and the motivation for the program.
    Apparently the funds allocated for the program are also to provide the necessary infrastructure for the students to work. This is a kind of program that is in many developing countries in Asia and Africa. The timeline for medical studies is shorter in India than anywhere else in the world and so this additional year should not be seen as a disproportionate burden. Most importantly the last year would serve as very good practical experience for the to-be-doctors.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

  6. #5
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    There was a debate on Vijay TV's NeeyA NaanA on this and the minister Anbumani himself spoke about this issue.

    He said: " sugAthArathila India-vin mudhal maanilangaLil onnu tamilnAdu"

    everyone started clapping, he said " porunga....." and when the claps died he added : " appo michcha maanilangaLOda nilamai ellAm eppidi irukkumnu ninaichu paarunga"

    It was an interesting program and Anbumani was very impressive..
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

  7. #6
    Moderator Platinum Hubber P_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fact prior to the program I had a very meagre impression about Anbumani. But that one program changed my opinion. He was clear, spoke his mind, was on top of the issues, conducted himself very professionally, never once lost his patience, seemed to be genuinely concerned with the state of affairs. It was good to see a minister who is able to avoid the rhetoric and is given to plainspeak.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

  8. #7
    Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    Posts
    13,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    ]In case of institutions that receive nothing from Govt. but charge students for every cent of their expenses, Govt. should not mandate the student to go and work wherever, as it will be poking its nose into a market economy.
    It is applicable only to students studied in Govt aided medical colleges.
    I think the idea would make a visible change in the young student's attitude and psychology, apart from giving them exposure.

    How many of you really think, this should be taken up with all (private and govt) medical colleges? I mean making it mandatory to work atleast for a brief period of time ?

    Just wanna know few hubbers views on this.

  9. #8
    Moderator Platinum Hubber P_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaktiprabha
    How many of you really think, this should be taken up with all (private and govt) medical colleges? I mean making it mandatory to work atleast for a brief period of time ?
    Though it is useful even for the private medical college students I don't think it should be made compulsory for them. As Govt. doesn't subsidize them I feel they should not be forced and at a higher level I think it is important to keep the autonomy of the private sector undisturbed. But to encourage participation the program as such can be like a one year medical experience program (where a certificate of some sort is issued upon completion of one year of service). If the program is successful, then the certificate may become sought after and even the private college students may voluntarily apply to be part of the program.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

  10. #9
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaktiprabha
    How many of you really think, this should be taken up with all (private and govt) medical colleges? I mean making it mandatory to work atleast for a brief period of time ?
    Though it is useful even for the private medical college students I don't think it should be made compulsory for them. As Govt. doesn't subsidize them I feel they should not be forced and at a higher level I think it is important to keep the autonomy of the private sector undisturbed. But to encourage participation the program as such can be like a one year medical experience program (where a certificate of some sort is issued upon completion of one year of service). If the program is successful, then the certificate may become sought after and even the private college students may voluntarily apply to be part of the program.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

  11. #10
    Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,
    Thanks for the clarifications! Program seems to have some merits.

    One more question - is it applicable to students starting afresh in the 1st year or also for those who are in final year? For those who start afresh, it's absolutely justified. However, for those who started with some expectation (not only from student's side, but families / relatives etc.) and keep building their life's dreams, it could become a major irritant, though not a total spoilsport. That psycology may have to be taken into account and the period of servitude may have to be progressively increased...for e.g., those in final year when this program is launched, will have to serve only for 2 months, those in 4th year -4 months etc. Just my thoughts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DOWRY FREE VILLAGE
    By padmanabha in forum Miscellaneous Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd March 2010, 10:41 AM
  2. Village Gods of Tamilnadu
    By Ramachander in forum Miscellaneous Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th March 2010, 09:49 PM
  3. Any doctors/medical students here?
    By Bipolar in forum Miscellaneous Topics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 14th July 2008, 08:09 PM
  4. Markazhi thingal in a Tamil village
    By podalangai in forum Indian History & Culture
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st January 2008, 01:02 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th August 2006, 08:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •