Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tamil films as India's Oscar Nominee

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    That year I was really hoping Hey Ram gets nominated (i.e. makes it to final five).

The final winner was Crouching Tiger....
    As much as we know that "Hey! Raam" is a far superior film to CTHD, (or an exciting "Amores perros"), "Hey! Raam" was more provocative. The film had a stage-like sets, which put off the Jury, "Hey! Raam" was the 7th on the list that year. Take the other films which were above it, they were "presented" with some audacious (read Colourful) sets. Note that Jury don't get to revisit the films, like why "Hey! Raam" has an unique visual imagery (Kamal, as always, has a reason). OTOH, CTHD was a Manga material, which marries many themes and different overtones that was "culturally" important to the Oriental backdrop, but all this appealed only because of the presentation. That is where "Hey! Raam" a more 'culturally' significant film, and a Byzantine product in itself, couldn't get across...
    For some reason, the members of the Academy are highly inconsistent in their choices. Looking at their past record, one gets the feeling that award goes to the movie that most fascinates them. Certainly Hey! Ram doesn't fall in that group (atleast for them). Intrigue and complexity have rarely been the attributes of the award winners.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    Regarding the link (or lack therof) between profundity and Oscars, what's Kubrick's record like ?
    Appalling.

He did win one for 2001, but NOT for direction!

Post Thanks / Like
    ..... and Clint Eastwood collects them like he is collecting stamps (hope groucho070 isn't around)
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Intrigue and complexity have rarely been the attributes of the award winners.
    Precisely, that's what I meant to say. That's where a film like "Hey! Raam" is far superior than likes of what "Braveheart" achieves, or infinitely more provocative, and enthralling than what likes of "Gandhi" proposes!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kubrick didn't win any. And, let's not forget Hitchcock.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Akira didn't !?

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scorcese himself was just awarded one - and that too because it was overdue. As for Akira, no he did not win any. Maybe they don't really care for the award.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Post Thanks / Like
    But, for Akira, or Nouvelle Vague movement, and other past greats to the contemporary Wong Kar-Wai, Kitano of the present - They had different admirers from the filmmakers(Scorsese to Tarantino today) to the english press - That's how their films became well known, and became global so to speak of! We need to cut across, I'm hoping for the day some of the brilliant Tamil films to be appreciated in the same vein!

Post Thanks / Like
    All that said, I won't be really critical of Oscar awards. Not that they have overall given it to the "right" films. (Rocky won over Taxi Driver, for god's sake!)

The point is rather simple. Oscars are awards given by just a bunch of critics. And, it's close to impossible for them to give it to the "right" film (according to the media, critics circle, or any other "group") every time. Only if they get it "right" every time, we must be surprised!

There's no singular pattern of movies that win Oscars in general, except that the films are usually reasonably mainstream. Again, the criticism that they are "pro-mainstream" also doesn't hold water. Hitchcock was as mainstream as it gets, and he had such a long career too.

The other criticism that it's often an Oscar non-winner that goes on to achieve the status of "great film of that year, era or time" is valid in most cases. But, that also has a simple explanation. There are just too many good films that are non-winners as against that one good-film which also happens to be the winner!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    I'm hoping for the day some of the brilliant Tamil films to be appreciated in the same vein!
    Occasionally, I hope for that too. The occasions being whenever I hear someone mention "the changing face of Tamil cinema wherein we've started making ulagaththara padangal like Veyil, Paruthiveeran and Katradhu Thamizh." Ah, such lack of hindsight is appalling to say the least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast