Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The WaVes - Tamil Tragedy?

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    geno, I can't begin to fathom the magnitude of this catastrophe in terms of ignorance as you had said and the sheer unpreparedness of the task forces that are in place to provide relief to the victims.

It is simply unacceptable that the seismologists, did not know this was forthcoming. If Sumatra is sitting on a big fault shouldn't it be monitored 24/7? How could this one have flown over their heads???

What the hell is the ISRO guy talking about? Aren't there international satellite programs available to gather weather related data, at least warn of such doomsday happenings??

Thousands of fisherfolk missing, scores of unwitting men, women and young children dead, and the goverment has no grip on the situation. Could this get any worse????

Quote Originally Posted by geno
    karai mElum irukka vidaliyE avargaLai - sathikAra iyaRkaiyE! pAviyE! avargaLai karaiyilum kolkiRAyE

Roshan, hope that you are safe, please get in touch!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geno

Others who havent had any real knowledge of Tsunamis would only be fascinated by those final moments - the sea would seem to suddenly recede from the coast for upto half a KM and the sea-bed would be visble to the onlookers near the shore with all the fish species suddenly thrown into the sands.

Ignorant of the impendingdanger, the onllokers would wonder and be curious to flock near the shore - when actually they MUST RUN AS FAST AND AND AS FAR AWAY from the shore - as that sudden receding of sea water is a telling feature of giant tsunamis!
    I saw a guy on TV saying "the sea disappeared" and I could not understand what he was saying, oh my goodness!!!! I sure would be fascinated by receding waters too. Cruel, cruel nature, 'death- dance' indeed, as geno put it!!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a natural one? some one tell me it is ..

Iran -dec 26,2003

Now this - dec 26 2004.

http://www.prahlad.org/pub/bearden/scalar_wars.htm

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shattered beyond words

My thoughts are with the fisherfolk innocents who have been slaughtered and the unsuspecting morning walkers who were whisked away in a trivial moment

One of my schoolteachers who had gone on a holiday to Nagapattinam and her kid were among the casualty

Hope the FHers and their families in all the affected nations are safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Facts and questions emerging....

This tragedy COULD have been prevented, only if India and Srilanka were in the "tsunami watch list".

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._system_glance

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...m&e=9&ncid=731

Although tsunami activity is more prevalent in the pacific, how come India and Srilanka, which have huge coastlines and flourishing coastal cities were never educated about the dangers of tsunamis???

Why don't we (the affected country's govt) have oceanic buoys as part of the meteorological systems, that can detect seismic activity under the sealevel and warn people (especially innocent fisherfolk) of impending dangers?? If they do have such data acquisition capabilities, what happened in translating the data into meaningful warning messages???

Why isn't there an emergency protocol in place to take action in the face of such uncommon catastrophes???

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am worried that this could happen again. It feels as if we are standing under a sword which would fall on our necks at any time.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Langkawi, Kedah, Penang and Perak coastlines are worst hit in Malaysia with 28 registered fatalities in Langkawi as of now.

The tremor was also felt by many high rise buildings in other states.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friends,

Me and my family are safe so far. But donno what would happen next with all kinds of anticipations of some more quakes near sumatra. Sri Lanka is the place that has got affected so badly. And we are not in a position to talk or discuss about it right now. One of my relatives family has lost 16 members - attacked by the waves while they were on a trip to the down south area Galle. My collegue's uncle and cousin are missing. My two good friends who are employed in Male- Malidve Islands, had just escaped from the fatal attacks. Male airport is closed and they are unable to leave the country. Please please please friends!! pray for every body's safety. I'm not in position to concentrate on anything .So shoked. This is terrible!!!!!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    What the hell is the ISRO guy talking about? Aren't there international satellite programs available to gather weather related data, at least warn of such doomsday happenings??

Fatal lack of a warning system:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...ningsystem.ap/

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

industries at risk

my heart feels sorry for the victims and their relatives. here in tuticorin the tsunami's effect was not felt much( the east lying sri lankan land could have acted as a barrier for those waves).
    yet to think what would have happened if tuticorin had felt the effect more seriously makes me shiver. situated very near to the coast is a thermal power plant, heavy water plant and two fertiliser plants( a vicinity of 1km to the coast). if our indian coasts are susceptible to this kind of tsunamis, then these industries and those at kalpakkam, manali, etc. are no more safe....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast