Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WaVes - Tamil Tragedy?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

The WaVes - Tamil Tragedy?

I phoned to my aunt in Jaffna (St. Patrick's Rd / Main Street) today morning to get more information about the desasterous Wave that happened today Dec 26th in the aftermath of the X'mas 2004. She said "I'm not in the mood to talk to you... it is a big desaster... Sorry.. " in an excusing melodical way and quit.

What do you know? Who can provide more information?

www.tamilnet.com
    www.lankapage.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Earthquake

BB,

I hope all your relatives are well.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Bad Boy - 1st I'm real sorry abt what happened in Sri Lanka to your loved ones!! Between 10 am - 11 am (M'sian time), my hubby and son felt the floor sway and my son felt nauseous like a boat swaying!!

The epicentre of the quake is off the coast of Sumatera. Penang has been badly hit with abt 6 deaths reported so far!! Though we felt the tremors along the coast of Peninsula Malaysia, no other casualty has been reported. Surprisingly, the ensuing tsunami has been carried much further into the Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal.
    There's talk of after-shocks as well!!

I just came back from the beach area just now, the waters are calm as usual. Nothing unusual to report.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the kuppams in Chennai where the poor people live in have been affected badly. Also people who went for a walk in the beach at that time are reported missing. Even in Chennai some buildings were shaking. This is a terrible tragedy

According to the NY times, even the earth's rotation was affected slightly by the quake.

From the New York Times:
    ``All the planet is vibrating'' from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Everyone who is affected by this wrath of nature,

Our best wishes and thoughts are with you.

May you find the strength to rise from this tragedy and find peace and comfort!

This is surreal and apocalyptic in a way, "Day after tomorrow" was the first thing that came to my mind for some reason. Why weren't there any warning signs on such a massive earthquake? Or were they not publicized so as to not alarm the people in the Sumatra region?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im just shaken and as cygnus has put it - it's all surreal for me a huge tragedy for all of thamizhnadu

A huge earthquake measuring 8.9 hit the north-west coast of Sumatra island - the center of the quake being in the ocean some 1000-1500 km from the shores of sumatra.

The huge quake produced an explosion equivalent to 32 billion tons of tnt explosives!! according to the BBC.

The quake happened due to the tectonic plate movement and the collision of Indian Ocean continental plate with the Eurasian(Indonesian) Plate.

The collission fissure was more than 1000 KM long and because of this collission Water walls of 10m -30 m were thrown up all along these 1000 KM collission range producing a mind-boggling Tsunami giant killler waves, which then travelled towards the south asian region of srilanka, India, and bangladesh, with a speed of about 900 KMPH to 1000 KMPH.

The waves when neared the shores produced a huge energy with which it hit the Coastline of south asian countires and it was catastrophic and devastating.

In Tamilnadu's coastal region alone - more than 5000 people are already confirmed dead by on the ground estimates(Officail govt. estimates underplay this figure).

It is said that in TN alone the fatality could be over 10,000 people most of them being - poor fisherfolk who live right along the coast.

Moreover, thousands of fisherman who ventured into the sea on sunday morning havent returned and they are feared consumed by the massive waves.

Since Tsunamis are virtually unknown in this region (Tsunamis are more frquent in Pacific region only) - people were absolutely had NO idea of what hit them

The Killer waves hit TN shores at around 8:35-8:45 am and it was all over in about 20-30 mins

Thousands of fisher folk, their children, beach goers, tourists, fishermen in the sea all washed away into the gory death-dance of the sea

The administration of the TN govt. was caught unawares and non-responsive until in the afternoon and the homeless survivors of the poor fisherfolk along coastline were left without any food or shelter till about 3:30 pm in the afternoon - they were all lined up half-fainted in teh platforms of the roads

Meanwhile dead bodies pile up in govt hospitals and private homes and absolute chaos everywhere and no proper medical facilities are available for the wounded and the gravely injured in the melee of running for their life

Dr. Roger Mussan, a seismologist from United Kingdom told on the BBC - that these kinds of Tsunamis do have aftershock effects that is - 2 or 3 more Giant Tidal waves may AGAIN hit south-asia in the next 2 days

The metrological dept. of India has confirmed that more tidal waves MAY be in store for the south indian coast

Orisaa is affected, Andhra is hit badly and Tamilnadu's coastline has been devatstaed and the worst hit

The Indian fatality for this south-south east asian tragedy could be more than 10-15 thousand some say

Srilanka's coast has been completely destroyed from Mullaitivu to tricomalee to polanaruwa to colombo to galle

They are even more worst hit than Tamilnadu

Almost 95% of the southern and wester coast beach restaurants and resorts have been washed away

Tourists to SL have been washed away in 100s we r told and the Capital city colombo too is iundated with its subuurbs like Unatawuna and Galle terribly devastated from the news sources.

The Human Tragedy is unbearable and SL economy has taken a terrible hit

I'm worried about Roshan who is probably living near Colombo

Roshan plezz immediately give a message abt ur well-being

I donno what to say - im devastated as this tragedy of evil proportions begins to sink in ( (

"tharai mEl piRakka vaiththAm
    engaLai thaNNeeril pizhaikka vaiththAN
    karai mEl irukka vaiththAN
    peNgaLai kaNNeeril mithakka vaithtAN

mudinthAL mudiyum thodarnthAl thodarum
    ithuthAn engaL vAzhkai"

karai mElum irukka vidaliyE avargaLai - sathikAra iyaRkaiyE! pAviyE! avargaLai karaiyilum kolkiRAyE

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Alas ! ... IT IS SHOCKING.... OH ! GOD..... WHY THIS....?

SUCH A SUDDEN ONSLAUGHT by Nature.... on Humanity...

.... Such a Magnitude.... !!........SO..O..O..O.... SUDDEN...

.... All CAUGHT UNAWARE......NEVER HEARD IN HISTORY.....!!

On My Phonetalk to Chennai India, I come to know that the REAL LOSS AND DAMAGES are far more than what is reported in Online.....

.... and the Pathetic plight of the people....!!!!.... HEART-RENDING....!!!!!!!!!!

.... NO WORDS.... TO DESCRIBE.....

Oh! God !!!...Let us all PRAY FOR THE INNOCENT VICTIMS !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    Why weren't there any warning signs on such a massive earthquake? Or were they not publicized so as to not alarm the people in the Sumatra region?
    I have the very same doubt cygnus

Was there an international conspiracy behind the kind of silence which is so very eerie now??

Did the sumatran(read indonesian) people were "profiled" an so they were not informed by the "western" advanced scientific nations?

And i want to point out the utter disregard in india regarding "scientific data" that is useful to save lives, property and resources - in times of these kinds of disasters.

There is absolutely no Policy on crisis and disaster management in india it seems now.

The NDTV news channel correspondent interviewd the ISRO chief(Indian Space research Organisation) or may be ISRO' s programmes director? - and asked him this :

India has 6 satellites up there in space orbit - for remote sensing and geological data. WHY didnt even a single one of them was used to find out that such a huge tragedy was about to hit Indian Coast???

The ISRO guy had no proper answer for this

He said NONE of those 6 satellites was "designed" to find out about any natural calamities of this nature and they were designed only to look at the "chlorophyll" and other oceanographic features!!

he actually had the guts to say that!

Indian scientific community must surely hang their heads in shame for letting more than 10,000 indians die like sitting ducks when they could have saved almost all of them with a little bit more focus on "life friendly" space projects

And one more absolutely scandalous and demoralising thing was revealed by Indian TV media today regarding the "Quality" of indian science and technology :

MOST of the international agencies which measured and recorded the Indonesian Quake reported it to be of richter scale 8.9, while some of them put it around 8.6

And Indian seismographic instruments estimated that quake only to be around 8.0!!!!!

It was suggested that Indian tech. is pathetic and completely off the mark and below par! - which was shocking and devastating!

I donno what to say

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you are wondering what's the big deal between 8.0 and 8.9 - thing again!

The seismic scale is "Incremental" in an alarming rate and the difference of that 0.9 is absolutely huge! It simply means that a seismic quake of 8.9 scale is like 32 times MORE powerful and lethal than a 8.0 quake!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it is said that this 8.9 quake is the most devastating one anywhere in the world in the last 40 years and the 5th most powerful one in the last 105 years since 1900!

And the last time that indonesian region was hit by a major quake was around 1833 ACE it seems!

That British Seismologist Dr. Roger Mussan also had this insightful info on Tsunamis.

usually Tsunamis occur in the pacific region and so the pacific rim countires and cities are well-prepared to deal with them.

When the Phenomenon of Tsunamis hit a coast - it seems - first just before the Massive tidal hit - the coast would reced for a few 100 metres it seems - coz the Tsunamis would suck in the coastal waters and create a vaccuum before dealing a fatal and devastating blow on that shore!

that is the standard nature of TSunamis he said!

But, unfortunately - ONLY people who KNEW this symptom and recogize it to be of tsunamis would understand the danger and run for their life from the coast.

Others who havent had any real knowledge of Tsunamis would only be fascinated by those final moments - the sea would seem to suddenly recede from the coast for upto half a KM and the sea-bed would be visble to the onlookers near the shore with all the fish species suddenly thrown into the sands.

Ignorant of the impendingdanger, the onllokers would wonder and be curious to flock near the shore - when actually they MUST RUN AS FAST AND AND AS FAR AWAY from the shore - as that sudden receding of sea water is a telling feature of giant tsunamis!

Since south-asians have almost never experienced tsunamis - they have perished at the evil phenomenon's mysterious symptoms, due to ignorance

Post Thanks / Like
    Some clarifications :

* Chennai experienced some "mild tremors" and "after shocks" from that HUGE quake which hit the indonesian coast, and indian seismologists discount an independent tremor as i twas definitely caused by that indonesian quake.

* indonesian quake happened around 6:29 am IST and chennai experienced mild tremors and after-shocks due to that huge quake - around 6:45 am IST on Sunday.

* The Tsunamis hit the TN coast around 8:35-8:45am IST - that is almost 2 hours AFTER chennai experienced mild tremors in the morning.

It was clearly an effect of that gigantic Quake in indonesian region and as the ripple-effect of that quake, Tsunamis were formed and hit the south-asian coast.

I heard that "shockwaves" were felt in M'asia and S'pore too. PLz share abt that too here.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast