Made in Abroad

Dedication
    Ennai ezhudha solli ookuvitha MADHU annaku indha story samarpanam
    Enjoy life! There is plenty of time to be dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber Hummingbird's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Have you arranged for the cutlery? Did you see if they are all nice and ok?”

“Don’t worrypa. I will make all arrangements. Ninga kavalapadama poi kootindu vango”..My wife Mahathi was repeating this for the hundredth time since morning.. Poor Mahathi. Sometimes I wonder how she puts up with all my tantrums. May be Divikutti is better than me.

“Enda, vathakuzhambum sutta appalamum ipdi peengan platelaya parimaruva? Nalla vaazhai elai pottu chaplangal pottu ukandhu, vakkanaya sapdanumda idhellam”

“Amma, unakkenna theriyum. Avaalaam foreignlaye porandhu valandhava. Nammala madhri kailalaam sapda maata. Romba decentanavama avaalaam”

“Aamanda, neengalam kailadan saptu valandhinga. Un ponnu Divyakum kailadan saadham pesanji ootren. Enna koranju poitelaam? Enna decento enna foreigno po”

“Amma please, enaku unnoda argue pannalam time illama, naan poi Petera kootindu varen”

I started my car and drove towards the hotel where Peter was staying. I replayed that Friday evening, which was the cause for all the commotions at home on this fine Sunday morning

Peter is my new boss. My company had sent him to India to replace my earlier boss who got transferred to Poland a month back. Peter had landed on Friday morning and the first thing he wanted to do was to meet all his subordinates. We had a get together on Friday evening at our office and Peter was quiet friendly with all of us. It was an informal gathering and Peter was making sure he has a chat with every one of us. He was having great difficulty with all Indian names but was somehow managing it.

When I introduced myself “I am Ram, Finance Manager”, his immediate response was “Ah! That’s the first name I am going to pronounce easily today evening”.

While we were chatting, I casually asked him “If you have not planned anything for this weekend, why don’t you join me and my family for an authentic South Indian lunch on Sunday?”

“That’s so nice of you Ram. I would love it. So, how do I come to your house from my hotel. You know where I am staying, don’t you?”

“Don’t bother Peter. I will come and pick you up from your hotel at 9am on Sunday. Does that suit you?”

“Perfectly Ram. Once again, thanks for the invitation. Now let me go and meet our other friends”

And now, here I am waiting at the hotel lobby to pick up Peter. Peter came down with a big teddy bear and a gift pack in his hands.

“Hello Peter, Good morning”.

“Good morning Ram. Thanks a lot for coming to pick me up. I hope that’s not too much of a trouble for you”

“Not at all Peter.. Come lets go home”

As we were proceeding towards the car park, Peter said “Man.. I am bored of traveling by car everyday. I saw some yellow color three-wheelers going everywhere in the city. Can we travel in one of those. I will have the hotel guys to get your car back to your home. If that’s alright with you”

“Not a problem at all Peter. We call it auto-rickshaw or auto for short” I said and walked towards the gate

Manasukulla “Ennadhu, autola poganuma? Adappavi, nee enna nenaipayonu nethu en ponnu azha azha ava carla vechrundha bommai ellathayum thookindu poi ava roomla pottu, oru naalaikudanda chellamnu avala samadhanam panni, cara 2 vaati wash panni,… ippo ennadana, unaku autola poganuma, thevadan”

Autola vandhu erangi we were about to enter the house when amma was already at the gate

“Vaango vaango. Ennada Rama, enna aachu carku… enpa autola varel, unaku onnum aydalaye”

“Amma, onnum illama, ivar autola varanumnu aasa pattaar. Adhan. Cara hotelkaara kondu vandhu kuduthuduva”

“What happened Ram? Is something wrong?”

“No no, since we came in auto, my mom was worried if something happened to me or the car. Thats what she was enquiring”

“Oh! That’s so nice of her”

We entered the hall and Divya was watching “Tom and Jerry”. As we entered, she switched off the TV and said “Welcome uncle”.

“Hello sweety! Whats your name?”

“Divya uncle”

“Nice name. See what I got for you”. Peter gave her the teddy bear

“Thank you uncle”

“Ammaaaaaa….. naan pakkathu aathuku vilayada poitu varen. Bye uncle, byepa, bye paati”

“She has to show her gift to all her friends”

“Sweet girl. You are so lucky Ram”

Amma came with a glass of water and offered to Peter “Water… drink water”

Peter looked at me

“It is our custom to offer water to guests as soon as they come”.

“Thank you amma” said Peter. He then looked at me and said “You don’t call elders by name like us. Is it not?”

Peter gave the gift pack to amma and said “dry fruits only amma. Don’t worry”

“thank you”

Mahathi came from the kitchen just then.

“She is Mahathi, my wife”

Peter : “Namaste”

Mahathi : “Vaango”

I took Peter around the house and we were chit chatting for a few minutes. Then amma came and

“Lunch, lunch… sapda vaango” she was trying to communicate with Peter through sign language

“Oh! God… I forgot to check if amma and Mahathi have laid down the cutlery properly in appropriate places. Adhukulla enna avasaram ammaku”

We entered the kitchen and I asked Peter to take a seat. Apdiye cutlery arrangementm checking… Thankfully, Mahathi had done a good job

“Ram, why don’t we sit on the floor and eat. If it is authentic South Indian food, why not eat it the authentic way?”

“As you wish, Peter”. [manasukulla “Adappavi!!!!. Ayiram rooba selavu panni table cloth vanginadhu idhukudana…..”]

“Amma, avar kizha ukkandhe sapudraram, paai podu”

1000 watts bulb madhri ammavoda face lightened ayduthu… “Avaaluku therinjiruku, epdi sapdanumnu, hmmmm…..”

“And… you serve South Indian food on banana leaf” right

“Yes Peter” [cutlery …. 600 rooba]

“Amma, avaruku vaazhai elaila sapdanumam”

“Correct, correct… I bring vaazhai elai, u sit”

Idhukapram, the discussions were predominantly between amma and Peter

“This is terrific..”

“It vathakuzhambu.. touch this appalam” .. [Appalam thottundu sapdungo]

“What is this?”

“This melagu rasam – soup like. good for stomach”

“Is this yoghurt?”

“This, home made curd. No readymade…. Touch pickle for this”

Peter was watching how I eat each item and was trying to eat the same way. But he was simply enjoying Amma’s hospitality and I did not want to spoil it by saying anything

Strangely, even though Peter and Amma do not have a common language, they seemed to connect immediately and understand each other so well.

After lunch, Peter said bye to Amma and Mahathi and I offered to drop him back at this hotel. Once again in auto

On the way

“Peter, I hope you enjoyed your lunch”

“Ram, I am so thankful to you. You are so lucky a guy to be blessed with such a wonderful family. I appreciate all the efforts you had put to make me feel comfortable. But please don’t mistake me for saying this, we marvel at the ability of Indians to adapt so quickly to a foreign land and foreign culture and survive wherever you go. But we like things the way they are. Do not impose our culture on your people when they are here, in India, at home. It is where your culture still exists. Let it thrive.

Once again, please do not mistake me. I thoroughly enjoyed today. Especially your mom. She was absolutely great.

And, I don’t think I would have offered an invitation like the way you did to me. It was so spontaneous and so kind of you.”

“I understand Peter. Thanks a lot. I don’t know what else to say”.

“And Ram, this is for you.” He took out a small packet from his pocket and gave it to me. There was a stunning watch inside the box smiling at me.

“Its amazing.. Thank you Peter. But you do not have to do this”.

“No Ram. Please accept it. Otherwise, I will feel bad”

By now, we had reached the hotel entrance

“See you Ram. You want to go back in your car or auto? I can inform the hotel staff accordingly”

“Thanks Peter. I will take my car back. I have promised my daughter to let her put back her toys in the car. Before she comes back, I will put them back myself and give her a surprise”

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    okie...wheres the story?
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    story over

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry akka, i saw ur very first post only ....

nice story

“Ram, I am so thankful to you. You are so lucky a guy to be blessed with such a wonderful family. I appreciate all the efforts you had put to make me feel comfortable. But please don’t mistake me for saying this, we marvel at the ability of Indians to adapt so quickly to a foreign land and foreign culture and survive wherever you go. But we like things the way they are. Do not impose our culture on your people when they are here, in India, at home. It is where your culture still exists. Let it thrive.
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    Vaasi

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    avangaLukku theriyuthu! namakkuthaan theriyala!
    Very good story, Hummingbird!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks pp!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HB kalakkiteenga ponga ...... sweet short crisp n message giving narration .....
    Wonderful presentation .... and carefully chosen words ...... the way he was thinking in his mind for all the expenses .... was simply amazing ... very natural ....

mothathula ..... kalakkalo kalakkals Congrats .....Keep writing more ....
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Vasanth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast