Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with illyaraja songs

Post Thanks / Like

Help with illyaraja songs

Hello, my name is James. I am french canadian, however typing from public computer here in toronto, I have question to ask for this forum. I have listening to some songs I find on my friends old computer and I like them very much, by the composer named illyaraja, they are very beautiful, i dont understand them but i can feel them very amazing. One was called "chinna kannan - kavikuyil". I wonder if some of you can help me, because I like this song and others like it but do not understand the language. can anyone be willing to help me and tell the meanings of the lyrics in these songs? i could appreciate it very much.. thank you

Also what other songs can i find like this? Can you tell me the names for them? I found some other songs which i like very much,

EDIT: I find lyrics for this song hre

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/lr/26/2680/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jamesashcroft,

Welcome to hub and world of IlaiyarAja. Here you can find fanstastic information about this song.

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=618

BTW someone will post the meaning, wait and see.

Also you can check some other fabulous songs by reading our valuable hubber Manisekaran's articles.

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=13

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    James,

Welcome !

Well, I would suggest to you not to worry much about understanding the lyrics of the songs for various reasons. One is that, anyone can literally translate these songs, but to appreciate it you would have to understand the context, Indian/Tamil way of living etc which might take a very long time for you ( I am saying this because songs in Indian film world is very different from the songs you hear in western albums ).

So please don't spend your time on the lyrics. Just jump in to the ocean of musical wonder called Ilaiyaraja, whom we adore the most as a musical messiah particularly in South India

I am sure many of our friends here will be helping you in the coming days in locating the songs of Ilaiyaraja.

But for now, I would suggest you to go to youtube.com and search for Ilaiyaraja, Illayaraja etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello friends. Again sorry if english is not too good.

To Sanjeevi,

Thank you for link! Very interest article, though i do not understand all the terms. so this is famous song then!

To raja_fan,

Yes I appreciate your help! Of course always there is culture gap but i am very openminded person and i have studied many, many cultures around the world as my uni degree, I think it will be fine! I am indeed very very curious to understand the meanings of this song!

but I do not listen much to new english songs here, i like listening to classical music because now these new songs are mostly pop and rap (yuck).

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi jamesashcroft: welcome to the Forum! can you check your PM section pls ? i sent you a message

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi james,
    raja is great!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again,

So, is there is someone who can translate those lyrics for me then? I don't want to seem annoying but I really am curious to know.....

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chinna kannan Azhaikkiraan -

Little Krishna calls you !

Radhaiyai poonkodhaiyai -

Calls his lady love Radha !

James, please.., it is difficult to translate line by line In that time, you can listen to more gems of Raja !

For example, give a listen to the song "Vikram vikram"
    http://www.musicindiaonline.com/musi..._director.504/

and let us know what you feel !

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Yes thankyou. is it really too difficult to translate? well if it is too hard then sorry to ask a lot, but i am interested..but you see someone earlier said I could not understand the lyrics but I do know who the people that you write are form, from indian religous books, i have studied them in my university classes, so I do know the meaning ....

yes i listen to other songs i find as well. that site does not work for me i am afraid. but i have one i like called "naan kaanum". this is great because i find a site here that tells me what it means in english. But that site does not translate for any other songs i heard

But the list that sanjeevi post earlier help me, i can find those songs on the internet. song called "maanguyile" is nice and one called "rakkamma" is playful, in the middle suddenly female crowd voices start singing, that is mesmerizing!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ananth222's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok heres an attempt.
    Movie Name: Kavikkuyil
    Singer: Balamuralikrishna M
    Music Director: Ilayaraja
    Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam

Chinna kannan azhaikkiraan
    Radhaiyai poonkothaiyai
    aval manam konda ragasiya raagathai paadi
    chinna kannan azhaikkiraan

The young Kannan calls out to the beautiful Radha
    by singing the secret song that is close to her heart
    the young Kannan calls out

Kanngal solgindra kavithai
    ilam vayathil ethanai koadi
    endrum kaathalai kondaadum kaaviyame
    puthumai malarum inimai
    antha mayakkathil inaivathu uravukku perumai

The youthful eyes speak a million poems
    An epic that celebrates love everyday
    A new sweetness blossoms,
    and to join in that bliss is an honor

Nenjil ullaadum raagam
    ithu thaana
    kanmani radha
    un punnagai sollaatha athisayama
    azhage ilamai radhame
    antha maayanin leelaiyil mayanguthu ulagam

Is this the song that plays in your heart, dear Radha?
    Is there a wonder that your smile doesn't vanquish?
    Oh beauty! Epitome of youth!
    In that magician's hands this world plays.
    ---
    So thats a fairly literal translation, with some free interpretation on my part. As someone already noted, its hard to appreciate these things without experiencing the relevant culture and history. Besides, there are other lovely songs with much more pertinent lyrics. Anyway, hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast