Page 73 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the Samudra Rajakumari song. First ever time I am watching it! Such a good song spoiled by insipid filming. I heard that some parts of this movie were filmed in Melmangalam, a village near Periyakulam in Theni district. The village happens to be my father's native place and is within stone's throw of Vadugapatti (Vairamuthu's place)! Coming back to the song, it has all the MSV trademark elements -- mellifluous flute, trumpet, mridangam, and, of course, SPB and VJ! Traces of the Andha ezhu Natkal number "Kavidhai arangerum neram" are most evident from the beginning of the second interlude. Which movie is this "konjum malar manjam" from? I am surprised I cannot recall ever hearing it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz, Re the Malligai mullai poopandhal, the song is lovely, not so Sivaji's fooling around -- looks artificial. Maybe his character in the movie is such. Sivaji in Vietnam Veedu, Gowravam, Thanga Padhakkam, wow.

4. Likes Naaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted repost.
    Last edited by Music4Ever; 10th March 2015 at 06:17 AM. Reason: It was posted a second time!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber priya32's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Music4Ever View Post
    Which movie is this "konjum malar manjam" from? I am surprised I cannot recall ever hearing it.
    Never mind, I spoke too soon. I found the video. The song is in the following video clip, watch from 1:58!

'manikka mattaayA' by KJY is a beautiful song which was very popular when the movie was out!

'aaduvadhu endha ammanO' is a SPB & SJ Combo song.

7. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Likes Music4Ever liked this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I think of mridangam dominant tunes by MSV, I think for these two first:

And this one about a Mridangam Maestro!

9. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Priya32, how could I forget this song? Janani coincides with a period that was life-changing for me -- Twenty five years ago I initiated a process that would eventually allow me India-visits only during vacation breaks! Honestly, among various paraphernalia was also included a recorded cassette containing songs of Janani. Mannikka Maattaaya was my most favorite but "konjum malar manjam" was equally enjoyable. Thanks for the song that brings back old memories! Good mridangam but the tabla also joins in the fun later.
    Last edited by Music4Ever; 11th March 2015 at 05:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz, "Kelviyin nayagane" and "Abhinaya sundari" are bonafide mridangam-laden semi-classical numbers from the MSV repertoire. No doubt about that. Awesome numbers, especially the first one, when one also considers the class of the actors (Major, Sri Vidya, Jayasudha,Kamal, and, of course, RAJINI, not to forget KB the director). Sri Vidya excels. What eyes. In contrast, Sulakshana's discrete (nowhere discreet, though) dance movements and lack of grace arguably spoil the viewing experience. However, it is much more fun when we encounter mridangam in songs that are not semi-classical (although they may be raga-based). For example, "Sri raman, sri devi, kalyaana vaibogham" had enjoyable mridangam, if I remember correctly. Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi also had that mridangam emphasis after VJ finishes her opening salvo. I am saying all this from memory, so I could be wrong. Mridangam when used in non-semi-classical numbers sounds refreshing and delectable. In semi-classical songs it sounds mundane
    Last edited by Music4Ever; 11th March 2015 at 06:12 AM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever --

Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? Wow, had not thought of this one in such a long time! Wonder if there's a link somewhere...will have to check Youtube.
    I'm also thinking of "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...
    Thanks for reviving these memories!

13. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber priya32's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Naaz View Post
    Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...

Wow! "Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi" is a fantastic song from Deiveega raagangal. The movie has 'paavai nee malligai' and 'Oduvadhu azhagu radham thEduvadhu iniya mugam' too!

"mei silirkkudhu manam thudikkudhu" from mookkanaankayiru. Yes, half Malayalam and half tamil song. Tamil part was sung by PJC & Vanijayaram sings Malayalam portion. Very nice one.

I remember writing lyrics for both songs on dhool.com, the website that vanished a few years back. I'm pretty sure that NeelD would have featured these songs in POTW thread!

15. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Naaz View Post
    Music4Ever --

Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? Wow, had not thought of this one in such a long time! Wonder if there's a link somewhere...will have to check Youtube.
    I'm also thinking of "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...
    Even I am surprised that the song "Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi" came out of nowhere! I haven't reflected about it in more than 2 decades. It came to my mind just like that when the discussion veered toward MSV and mridangam! Seriously! Should indicate the kind of MSV fanatic I was those days

Page 73 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast